• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virus reaction and worry

I'm guessing that a lot of it is regional. Those of us in the Northeast, which was one of the first areas to be slammed, have first-hand experience with it. I know people who've had it, and I know what it did to them (and in some cases, is still doing, months later). I know people who've lost loved ones to it. I used to live in NY and still have relatives and friends there, so I had a front-row seat to the horror that happened in NYC. Everyone I know is taking the precautions *very* seriously.

There are still large areas of the country that haven't had that experience. Yet. They will. Viruses don't respect state borders. I think if there have been only a few cases in your area, it's hard to understand just how bad things can get.
This exactly. I am also in the Northeast and while it feels a bit better now during the early weeks I felt like I was hearing bad news about people I knew every couple of days.

I am a MAJOR worrier. I worried SO much in the first few weeks of this virus making the news here. I have generalized anxiety and worry about dying and leaving my kids without a mom ALL the time.

However, at this point, with all the information that has now come out about how this virus works and who it targets and why, I'm no longer irrationally worried. I can be very level headed and pragmatic and am swayed by facts and statistics. Statistically, this virus poses a VERY minimal risk to my family unit here at home. So, I am a bit more relaxed about things vs 2 months ago. When restaurants open, we will go. When Disneyland opens, we will go. We don't have contact with anyone who is high risk in our daily lives (all at risk relatives live clear across the country). I still wear a mask, do all the grocery shopping alone, etc. I still take the precautions the government is asking us to take. But I'm no longer scared of catching the virus, to be honest.

I’m curious through how much has to do with wether you are typically a worrier by nature. I am not a worrier. My default mindset about everything all the time is that everything will be okay and work out.
Oh this is a fun bit of introspection, thank you ... oof.
I have an anxiety disorder and physiologically I react to most stress with a great deal of anxiety. At the same time, I describe myself as a misanthropic, mostly anti-social, nihilist, and part time Stoic. On a philosophical level I don't worry about bad things happening because (in reverse order) worrying doesn't help, other people don't matter, nobody really matters, and we all probably deserve it anyway.

In practice though it's really odd the things I do and don't worry about. Like my kids swimming... I stress over that. Climbing trees, don't care. Even though my boy kiddo already broke an arm falling out of a tree and neither of them have drown yet.

The current situation hits me on two fronts. We have an immune compromised house guest. So we're taking the self-isolation seriously on purely rational grounds.

But I do worry about a breakdown in civility. In the past 6 weeks, since Michigan shut down, I've had two attempted break-ins on my garage workshop, and had to chase someone off who was trying to take a package off my porch. We stopped taking our 16 yr old out to practice driving because we experience road rage every single trip out. A guy just a couple miles from my home was shot in his driveway by a burglar. Oh, and in an episode I would have otherwise chalked up to r/thatHappened, my 75 yr old, ardently republican, parents were screamed at by a stranger on their way to pick up a prescription because their wearing face masks was ruining the country.

I lose sleep over it, and I think that part of it will get worse as summer comes. As good Benvolio worries,
The day is hot; the Capulets, abroad;
And if we meet we shall not ’scape a brawl,
For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring.

I am normally a worried- up all night worrying about things I cannot control. ALL. THE. TIME. But with this I feel differently. I understand that the death toll is terrifying to look at and so very sad. And it scares me to read the stories of those who are young and healthy and passed away. But. if the number of asymptomatic people is as high as they say it is (which is why we are wearing masks in the first place) then that makes the death rate less worrying. As of right now on TV it says 1,370,000 cases and 80,000 deaths in the U.S. That's about 6%. If there are millions of other asymptomatic people who never get tested, then this number is much much smaller. I guess I feel like I am not willing to stop my life out of fear that I may get a disease and die. I could get cancer and die too... I am responsible. I wear a mask in some places and I wash my hands and respect social distancing guidelines. But I am not going to stop living my life. Same reason I didn't stop traveling after 9/11. We only have so long on earth and I just cannot deal with the constant fear inducing that the media is doing. We aren't exposed daily to the number of people that die in the U.S. and their causes of death. If there was a nightly toll on TV of American deaths, people might think differently. Just how I feel- not criticizing anyone else's viewpoints.

Oh this is a fun bit of introspection, thank you ... oof.
I have an anxiety disorder and physiologically I react to most stress with a great deal of anxiety. At the same time, I describe myself as a misanthropic, mostly anti-social, nihilist, and part time Stoic. On a philosophical level I don't worry about bad things happening because (in reverse order) worrying doesn't help, other people don't matter, nobody really matters, and we all probably deserve it anyway.

In practice though it's really odd the things I do and don't worry about. Like my kids swimming... I stress over that. Climbing trees, don't care. Even though my boy kiddo already broke an arm falling out of a tree and neither of them have drown yet.

The current situation hits me on two fronts. We have an immune compromised house guest. So we're taking the self-isolation seriously on purely rational grounds.

But I do worry about a breakdown in civility. In the past 6 weeks, since Michigan shut down, I've had two attempted break-ins on my garage workshop, and had to chase someone off who was trying to take a package off my porch. We stopped taking our 16 yr old out to practice driving because we experience road rage every single trip out. A guy just a couple miles from my home was shot in his driveway by a burglar. Oh, and in an episode I would have otherwise chalked up to r/thatHappened, my 75 yr old, ardently republican, parents were screamed at by a stranger on their way to pick up a prescription because their wearing face masks was ruining the country.

I lose sleep over it, and I think that part of it will get worse as summer comes. As good Benvolio worries,

Sorry to hear there's been so much problematic in your MI neighborhood. This weekend was the most I've been out since early March. Picked up Mother's Day flowers at the nursery and dropped them on doorsteps, so my first time to see virtually anything not on my block. I would have thought that this would have been a good opportunity for an inexperienced driver, although I have seen the news of the drag racing and the crazy speeding. It's been pretty peaceful in our neighborhood, I hope it spreads to yours.

I am a MAJOR worrier. I worried SO much in the first few weeks of this virus making the news here. I have generalized anxiety and worry about dying and leaving my kids without a mom ALL the time.

I am the same way. I've had long conversations with my doctor about it. And then last year, DH's 45 year old cousin was killed by a 3x DUI offender on her way home from her mom's house, leaving 3 year old twins orphaned. It was only because they had fallen asleep at grandma's house that they weren't with her. It made me realize that we are not promised tomorrow and that I could spend my time worrying about the what ifs and lose whatever time I may or may not have with my kids. It doesn't mean I don't worry about it still - I do, a lot, but it doesn't consume me. Which makes me wonder if that's why I'm handling this better. Because I realize that anything can take us at any time and that I want to spend whatever that time is making memories with my kids. That said, we're still following all rules for our area (except I did break and go see my mom over the weekend).

Our county just released a breakdown of numbers. Of 309 cases, 47 are under the age of 18 and 153 (50%) are 18-49. Our smallest affected age group is actually 65+. I won't say that doesn't have me a little more on edge. However it's countered with we've had 9,000 test negative and with our positives, only 27 have been hospitalized (and all 4 deaths are 65+ - 2 from the Princess Cruise ship in April, 2 in the last week). Our county size is 500,000 for reference.

I am normally a worried- up all night worrying about things I cannot control. ALL. THE. TIME. But with this I feel differently. I understand that the death toll is terrifying to look at and so very sad. And it scares me to read the stories of those who are young and healthy and passed away. But. if the number of asymptomatic people is as high as they say it is (which is why we are wearing masks in the first place) then that makes the death rate less worrying. As of right now on TV it says 1,370,000 cases and 80,000 deaths in the U.S. That's about 6%. If there are millions of other asymptomatic people who never get tested, then this number is much much smaller. I guess I feel like I am not willing to stop my life out of fear that I may get a disease and die. I could get cancer and die too... I am responsible. I wear a mask in some places and I wash my hands and respect social distancing guidelines. But I am not going to stop living my life. Same reason I didn't stop traveling after 9/11. We only have so long on earth and I just cannot deal with the constant fear inducing that the media is doing. We aren't exposed daily to the number of people that die in the U.S. and their causes of death. If there was a nightly toll on TV of American deaths, people might think differently. Just how I feel- not criticizing anyone else's viewpoints.
This is exactly how I feel.

I’m normally not a worrier by nature (my dissertation was in Risk Assessment, so it all boils down to numbers and my studies of psychological reactions to risk). For this pandemic, however, my anxiety has been quite high for a couple reasons:
  1. My dad being at extremely high risk. His docs have told him, if he gets it, he is looking at a high likelihood of ending up in the ICU, and a coin toss as to surviving or not.
  2. One of my wife’s close friends has lost 2 family members and a close friend to Covid. They all had high risk factors and were in the Detroit area. When it hits that close to home, it is very hard not to feel a greater deal of concern.

I AM a worrier and have had issues with anxiety before. We are staying home except for grocery trips. I have hypertension and some asthma, DH is 65 and a former smoker. In our area 80% of the deaths have been nursing home residents, but then you hear about the healthy 25 yo who died, or other younger people with no health risks. It is a scary time. I have not been washing groceries or concerning myself about the mail, I just wash my hands after handling. I am hoping to see my kids in July (they are all working from home) , but they will have to fly, and I worry about them picking something up on the plane and bringing it to us. I expect to live into my 90's like my parents, would like to see my grandchildren, and that does cause me anxiety. While I know chances are good I would survive the virus, the unknown is always in the back of my mind.

I was super anxious over the virus when we first locked down in early March. I am so over it now. Our state has pretty much opened back up and I am so happy about it. I got my hair cut and colored last week. My local Marshall’s opened today and it was heavenly to go back and shop like things are normal. The store was packed, but everyone was wearing a mask and keeping their distance from fellow shoppers.

Georgia opened back up over 2 weeks ago and we have our lowest hospitalization rates right now, so opening back up is working. When we first opened up, not many people ventured out of their houses. Now, it is getting back to normal and it feels almost like it did before the virus.

To the previous poster who said every state would end up like New York eventually - I certainly don’t believe that is correct. We are past the spike in cases, our state is opening back up and hospitalizations are low. Not every state is the same.

I was super anxious over the virus when we first locked down in early March. I am so over it now. Our state has pretty much opened back up and I am so happy about it. I got my hair cut and colored last week. My local Marshall’s opened today and it was heavenly to go back and shop like things are normal. The store was packed, but everyone was wearing a mask and keeping their distance from fellow shoppers.

Georgia opened back up over 2 weeks ago and we have our lowest hospitalization rates right now, so opening back up is working. When we first opened up, not many people ventured out of their houses. Now, it is getting back to normal and it feels almost like it did before the virus.

To the previous poster who said every state would end up like New York eventually - I certainly don’t believe that is correct. We are past the spike in cases, our state is opening back up and hospitalizations are low. Not every state is the same.
Georgia’s cases are up today, but that is to be expected.

In MD, hope we get to where your state is sooner rather than later! I'm ready to start living again I guess is the best way to describe it!
Husband and I discussed booking a Christmas cruise in Europe this year - figured there was 50-50 chance we would be able to take it. Seriously thinking we might pull trigger, although I am thinking some of that is just desperation to have something, anything to look forward to!

I am a worrier and I am doing ok only because I’m at home and only go outside for groceries. When I get called back to work, my worry will skyrocket.

People used to make fun of me for always preparing for the worst case scenario. Guess who had enough supplies when everyone went crazy hoarding 2 months ago? Guess who everyone wants to stay with when a hurricane comes?
You sound like me I stocked up in January went into this with 50 rolls of tp in the brand we like still have 18 left! We paid off everything except a very small mortgage balance we can pay off easily! Just started hurricane stock up because it will be harder this year ! Not a preppier just prepared to weather any storm! I You sound like my kind of person!
Some days my anxiety gets the better of me, but for the most part I have been calm. This is thanks to having money in the bank and a husband still working and no underlying health conditions. The times I have been most anxious are when my closest friend and my husband's grandmother had the virus.

I am also worrying about the rise in anger as a result of the virus. In some things, such as whether or not to wear a mask, people are literally killing each other over differing viewpoints. I don’t want to have to fear being attacked and possibly killed by someone over whether or not I am wearing a mask. In some areas, there have been reports of people being harassed for being out in their own yard, or being out in public while they are maintaining social distancing. I have stopped working in my yard so I don’t attract any attention. I am just trying to follow the rules for where I live and work (different counties, so that alone is confusing), and not offend someone by doing so. I am much less fearful of the virus itself than I am about how people are reacting to it, and whether those feelings will go away when all the restrictions are gone.

I will say I am having a lot of really vivid dreams through all this.

I'm not a worrier at all, I'm sort of a I'm a risk it kind of person. My grand daddy used to say "you are going to live til you die" and that's what I try to do. Having said that, I don't do stupid stuff and am careful, I just think life is too short to worry about everything. My hubby has been really, really, really, really, really, really "careful" about this. At first he insisted we spray the mail and wipe down the groceries. He has gotten a little better, he only isolates the mail and unboxes deliveries outside now. He wears a mask to the grocery store, we are in Georgia so it's not required. The only time I've been to the grocery store since mid-March I did wear a mask but only because he asked me to. If it were up to me, I'd be taking precautions like washing my hands more often, wiping down the counters after bringing the groceries in but that would be it. I would have also been out to a restaurant when they opened up but he doesn't want to, so we don't. My son, who normally stresses about everything, isn't worried about this. He was a Corpsman in the Navy, a RT as a matter of fact and now is a manager at a grocery store and he is real laid back about it. I'm sure he doesn't wear a mask or gloves at work (it's a small local store so not required) heck I'd be surprised if he did more than use hand sanitizer after dealing with money. He has been ordering take out and delivery the whole time and was using Uber up until they locked down the state. We will go to Disney around Sept. if I can get reservations, hubby won't go but he's not a fan. Oh, I'm over 60 but in great health, hubby was a smoker but stopped a few years ago, my son has nerve damage in his spine from a viral something he got working in the hospital.

@fla4fun "I am much less fearful of the virus itself than I am about how people are reacting to it, and whether those feelings will go away when all the restrictions are gone.

I will say I am having a lot of really vivid dreams through all this."

I am with you on both of these points!

I am appropriately anxious - enough to protect myself both out in the world and in rooms with Covid patients. But I don’t dwell on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter