VIP Tour End of September any suggestions for non-ride fun?

My GSD Rules

Lovin Life
Hi All, Planning a Birthday, Birthday, Anniversary trip to DL. A first trip for all of us to CA and DL. YAY. Booked a VIP Tour for my birthday, but what suggestions do you have for any 'behind the scenes' or out of the ordinary things to see and do? I saw most people use this for expedited ride entry and we'll likely do that too, but since we all know nothing about DL what great things should we try to see and do on the tour? We have a short list of the Lilliebelle train, Walt's apartment and the behind the scenes haunted mansion. I know there has to be more but have no idea what. Thanks for any input you may have. Look out CA here we come.
Thanks,

Judy

They won't be able to get you any of the things you list or any other "behind the scenes" access--that's not what a VIP tour is for. They can get you expedited access to almost any attraction, book you meal reservations on the go, and get you priority seating to most shows including the nighttime spectaculars. They often have fascinating stories to tell and some are real founts of Disney knowledge.

"Behind the scenes" stuff comes from booked guided tours (like the Walk in Walt's Footsteps or Happy Haunts), in which you go with a group through a pre-arranged set of experiences accompanied by a guest services host who has a script/spiel along the way.

Ditto to Iceman's comment. We've done VIP tours 4 times and there was never any "behind the scenes" options, despite me asking. I'd say the highlight is the amazing seating you have for day and evening entertainment and not having to worry about pulling any FP or showing up early for the shorter lines. If you want to see Walt's apartment, definitely do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Of course this is separate from the VIP tour. Enjoy!

It's been a few years, but the last time we did a VIP tour we were offered to have lunch at Club 33 and to ride in Lilliebelle...unfortunately we passed on both cause DS was so little and the point of the tour was because he said "AGAIN" after every single ride😆. Still, wish I had taken advantage of those opportunities!! I would call VIP and see if there's something similar they could offer you. Never hurts to ask! Have a fabulous time!

The Lilly Belle is on its own tour now, as is Walt's Apartment. Club 33 is also no longer available to tours.

The tour guides can give you a lot of information regarding the park, they can show you little details most wouldn't know, and can get you great seats to the various shows. But there is nothing "backstage" on these tours.

Well that is disappointing. :( I'll have to talk to the coordinator, and figure out if its what I was expecting. The only other tour I had found was the walk in Walt's footsteps, so I'll have to recheck. I found it odd that WDW has so many different ones and DL has so few. Thanks for your input. I AM excited to go visit in 60 ish days !

Well that is disappointing. :( I'll have to talk to the coordinator, and figure out if its what I was expecting. The only other tour I had found was the walk in Walt's footsteps, so I'll have to recheck. I found it odd that WDW has so many different ones and DL has so few. Thanks for your input. I AM excited to go visit in 60 ish days !

Don't be disappointed - a VIP Tour really is amazing. Having a tour guide to help organize your day, handle the details, bypassing a lot of the lines and having reserved seating at the shows is no small thing. I really doubt you will be unhappy with it. And talk to your guide - they have plenty of history and fun facts and stories to share. We love a VIP Tour!

Yes, the VIP tour is amazing for what it does. However, if your main purpose is to see the Behind The Scenes stuff, I can see why you are disappointed.

I guess I have high expectations. I just don't want to miss something then find out after I get back home. This first trip out to CA and DL and I'm not sure if I'll go back out there. Plus my 2 person trip turned into 8, and none of us have been there so I don't want to mess up. :)

I guess I have high expectations. I just don't want to miss something then find out after I get back home. This first trip out to CA and DL and I'm not sure if I'll go back out there. Plus my 2 person trip turned into 8, and none of us have been there so I don't want to mess up. :)
Knowing this information, I think your are very wise to book the VIP Tour. It will get you through the majority of the rides and will also get you a seat for World of Color or for any other entertainment that is going on when you visit. Overall, you'll save a lot of time and you'll also have a guide there to answer any of your questions, which sounds like something you'd enjoy. Your guide can probably book you a table at Blue Bayou if you want to eat there, but I'd do that outside of the normal VIP Tour time.

You can book a Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour if you want to, but the only behind the scenes place it will take you is Walt's apartment. You'll be in a set schedule with other people who aren't part of your group. For a group of 8 who have never been to DL, I really think a VIP Tour is a good way to go.

I think the Walk In Walt Footsteps tour is more than just a behind the scenes look of the appartment (it was closed for refurbishment during my tour and we visited the Dream suite which I was much happier with). I loved the stories of how the park started, the design and I got a bit emotional at the end. I loved getting bits of the opening day speech etc. And the pin we've got is the only pin I have ever treasured.
The only thing I wasn't 100% happy about was the lunch at Jolly Holidays. But furthermore, would love to do it again.

If you have time and you enjoy 'how it all began'-stories, I would add it.

I loved Walk in Walt's Footsteps as well (the pin is awesome). The only negative I have for it is that you go on 2-3 attractions. The problem is that you have no idea what those attractions will be, and sometimes they are not really worthwhile attractions (they would all be "classic" attractions when Walt would have been around, usually in Fantasyland, and possibly Main Street). I actually got lucky, in that Alice in Wonderland was down during the tour, and instead of trying to get on another ride, they gave us a "pass" to use at any time for the rest of the day to go on the ride. Thus, we spent more time talking about Walt.

I would like to go on the Lilly Belle, just never had it work out for us.

I'm really surprised that riding on the Lilly Belle isn't possible on a VIP tour. We are doing one in December, and I think I will go ahead and ask, just knowing that the answer could be no. A few years ago we got to ride it out of the blue. We were at the train station in Tomorrowland. We were close to the end of that train's capacity, but looked like we would get on. Then some people behind us pushed past us and ran to make sure they got on. We took it in stride, but one of the Cast Members saw what happened. She told us to follow her, and took us to the Lilly Belle and said - enjoy the ride! We were so excited!

So I would think that if they can accommodate people for customer service related things like that, they could accommodate people on a VIP tour. I could be wrong - but might as well ask.

So I would think that if they can accommodate people for customer service related things like that, they could accommodate people on a VIP tour. I could be wrong - but might as well ask.
Since they made an entire tour for it, they no longer even use it for customer service. But, no reason not to ask.

Since they made an entire tour for it, they no longer even use it for customer service. But, no reason not to ask.

There's a tour for the Lilly Belle? Can you point me in the right direction? I'd love to arrange that for my parents' anniversary.

As a former DL tour guide, I think VIP tours are all dependent on 1) what the guest wants and 2) what tour guide you have. If you are looking for more knowledge about the history of the parks or Walt Disney or the Disney company itself, that it something you can discuss with your tour coordinator and they will do their best to find someone who will suit your needs.

Also FYI but the Guest Relations department that ran the DRL tours was completely revamped a few years ago and that is why they're not offering the variety of tours they had previously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter