• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VIP tour (disney plaid or outside company) questions during very busy time

klmcleod

Mouseketeer
I am pondering a vip tour (official plaid or an outside company) for Friday, January 11. That's during rundisney weekend and mlk weekend. I already know the differences between official disney and an outside company, so my question is would either vip tour REALLY help with waiting in lines? I'm already picturing christmas time packed, super long lines, etc. I get that the tours can get us in the lightening lanes, but are the LL waits still LONG during these super busy times? I'm pretty adept at using wdw fastpasses back in the day and understanding go early, which rides that we like are busy when (so a basic understanding of how all the ll stuff works), I'm just having a hard time picturing these groups being much faster than what I could put together. I think I'm trying to talk myself in and out of a tour! :) Anyone take a vip tour during a really busy time that can offer me some reassurance that yes, they'll get you around faster????? (we'll have already been there since Wednesday of that week) TIA!

The value of the VIP Tour has diminished dramatically IMO as of late because as you mentioned you are still stuck in the Lightning Lane which is now essentially the standby line. No expedited access for those attractions.

While you do also get access to some non LL attractions you are spending a ton per hour to be stuck in lines. There used to be some access points for tours to jump ahead, but now unless you are a celebrity with security concerns those are no longer accessible by regular Joe VIP tours.

We were extremely frustrated on the last tour we booked.

Don’t waste any $$ on outside services…you can do everything on your own if you go that route.

also, prob not "christmas time packed", christmas season ends usually jan 6 -8th

you might even get lighter crowds

The value of the VIP Tour has diminished dramatically IMO as of late because as you mentioned you are still stuck in the Lightning Lane which is now essentially the standby line. No expedited access for those attractions.

While you do also get access to some non LL attractions you are spending a ton per hour to be stuck in lines. There used to be some access points for tours to jump ahead, but now unless you are a celebrity with security concerns those are no longer accessible by regular Joe VIP tours.

Don’t waste any $$ on outside services…you can do everything on your own if you go that route.
Wow, this is disappointing to hear. I assumed they'd still be using some of those access points. No way would I pay that price point per hour to be waiting in long Lightning Lane lines. If LL times were more reliable maybe, but I've been stuck in some doozies. It's like being in a cab in traffic just watching the meter tick, LOL. We've loved our previous VIP tours, but haven't done one at DL for a while.

I've always wondered what outside tours actually do. I can't imagine they have a way around the system--or a legit way at least--and using a service like Touring Plans is probably very similar? No clue, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has actually used an independent VIP tour company.

We have been at this time of year a few times although not super recently - in previous RunDisney Weekends and in 2020. The parks are busy with people for the race but in general it’s a post holiday lull. The hard thing is there will be some closures as they “de-theme” from Christmas. However I think it’s manageable with Genie+

We will do VIP tours at WDW, but I have never felt I needed them at DLR as long as I have LL/FP+ (in the past). If you understand how to maximize G+/LL, I think you will be fine. We were just there in late July, and we used G+ to the max and never waited more than 10-15 minutes, riding all of the headliners with a party of 6. If you have extra cash to spend, the VIP will make things easier (yes you will still be in the LL but they know what rides are down, best order to do things, and they have pixie dust sometimes) and you can get VIP viewing for fireworks etc if they are going on at that time.

I also read there are 3-4 conventions at the convention center this weekend.

Edit- Although just looked it up and just see 2, a gymnastics competition with 4 different hotels with blocks that are sold out and a smaller cheer competition.

I also read there are 3-4 conventions at the convention center this weekend.

Edit- Although just looked it up and just see 2, a gymnastics competition with 4 different hotels with blocks that are sold out and a smaller cheer competition.
I think the big convention that used to be around then moved dates with the pandemic

I went at christmas week on a vip tour last year I believe, and I can confirm that they will no longer give you any shortcuts, even when the attraction is packed.

The worst example of this was GOTG. We waited in the lightning lane plus queue for 45 plus minutes. That's nearly $700 wasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Compare that to WDW where we went TWICE in a row on TOT, and each time they skirted the line (and it wasn't even as close to busy, but busy enough that it was necessary).

On previous VIP tours at DL (before pandemic), they would often skip the worst parts of the FP lanes or even just go through the exit (Pirates, Space Mountain, and indiana jones come to mind, but many others we would go in the back entrance).

Or even Universal VIP tours (on both coasts) which often skirt lines at busy times, or even not so busy times.

I posted my thoughts back then, but the summary was:
Disneyland VIP tour: I will never take another Disneyland VIP tour unless they fix this restriction. It's ridiculous. I put it in their survey as well. Disneyland VIP tour is THE WORST VALUE in VIP tours.

Oh and I did use an independent VIP tour company, but only at WDW. It was maybe 6 years ago. What they did was somewhat (or very) sketchy in that it seemed they were using their fastpasses (or even someone they knew who wasn't with us, but was in the park) in addition to ours in order to get us in to some of the rides. As well, there were some attractions where the fastpass they had wasn't yet ready (for a future time), but they had us try to go through the fastpass line anyway. That worked for some but not all attractions depending on the cast member. Please note that they did NOT indicate that that is what they would be doing until we met them in person on that day.

They were overall very nice, and it was the first time I was in WDW in many years (over 15 years), so they were helpful in that respect in navigating the parks, but otherwise I would never use one of the third parties again, or recommend them.

Actually, if I now think of it, as long as you can come up with enough non-Genie+ attractions that you want to ride, you can maybe justify the price since for all of these they do (or should) cut the lines or go in the back entrance:

1) All Fantasyland dark rides (Alice, Peter Pan, Snow White and Pinnochio)
2) Dumbo, Casey and Storybook Land
3) Nemo
4) Astro Orbitor
5) Gadget Coaster
6) Mad Tea Party
7) Jungle Cruise
8) Pirates
9) Winnie the Pooh

DCA:
1) Little Mermaid
2) Inside Out
3) Jellyfish
4) Mater's
5) Luigi's
6) Wheel of Death (Pal A Round)
7) Silly Swings
8) Zephyr

Yeah, pretty sad, but at least you would get your "money's" worth.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, and yes, in many cases, going in the lightning lane with the VIP could be considered just fine. And yes, It still remains the fact that you are able to get on the ride multiple times in the Genie+ line and at any time you want. On the other hand... waiting for 45 minutes in GOTG line wasting nearly $700...

Thanks all!!! This was sooooo helpful and also confirmed my suspicions of the main LL line being what we'd wait in. I was really hoping that there'd be reports here of jumping even that lane (boo as we are not celebrities!), but I think that my sister and I can use single rider and brush up on our ride times and preferences and do just as well.

Just a different view.. .we took one last November ... a not super busy time, but we thought it was really worth it. The only really long wait (20mins?) was ROTR. The big difference between the tour and Genie + (which we are adept at) was it made it super easy to go from one headliner to another with no wasted time. And of course you do go through the exits for the non LL rides.
We will be at DL that weekend too, and have been seriously considering doing the VIP because we only have a couple of days this time.

Just a different view.. .we took one last November ... a not super busy time, but we thought it was really worth it. The only really long wait (20mins?) was ROTR. The big difference between the tour and Genie + (which we are adept at) was it made it super easy to go from one headliner to another with no wasted time. And of course you do go through the exits for the non LL rides.
We will be at DL that weekend too, and have been seriously considering doing the VIP because we only have a couple of days this time.
For what they charge us, they need to allow the tour guides to skip the queue, like they did before.
I'm glad you had a great tour!

I've been on 4 vip tours at DL, and the only thing close to that 45 minute wait pre pandemic was on Indiana Jones, and that was because the ride went down, and the guide kept us informed and gave us the choice to leave the line, and we decided to stick it out, so that was on us.

If you compare the VIP tour to what you get with Genie+, of course it's going to come out better (as long as you ignore the price). If you compare the VIP tour to other VIP tours (including WDW), you will see it's lacking in getting you through the lines, which arguably is the main point of the VIP tour.

Note that I do think Disneyland VIP tour has one advantage over WDW VIP tour, in that you can get seating at the parades or fireworks without having to have the tour guide with you at checkin. I am assuming that's still the case.

I guess one thing that could sway you to decide on VIP (though I might be wrong about this) is that there is no limit on how many times you can ride a single ride with VIP. If that's true, it might be worth the investment to some people. We just did our first DL trip with LL in June after having Maxpass back in 2019. At least once a day, we tried (and failed) to get a ride we had already ridden because those old FP rules have been stuck in our heads for a decade now. It sure is easy to remember academically, but then, "hey look, GOTG just popped open"...Oh wait, that's right. We already rode that one today. :confused3

Yes, in general that is true. You can go on a ride as many times as you wish. The exceptions are brand new rides where they may limit you to only once per day. ROTR was like that for a while.
please note that you have to go through the queue each time.

We just did a VIP tour with friends who just got inducted to club 33 (yes, I am still in shock), but let me tell you… we had our lovely and wonderful plaid for 8 hours… dear friend and fiancé booked us for lunch in Le Salon Nouveau and then later for drinks in club 1901 which cut into the tour and we really only had about 5 hours with our plaid riding rides. It was a Friday and the beginning of Halloween season, and probably an 8 on the busy scale and 94 degrees which was dang hot.

DD and I rope dropped on our own and between 7:30 and 10:15 when we had to meet our friends we rode: Peter Pan, Alice, Tea cups, Toady, Snow and Pinocchio (in that order), and then went to Toon Town (at 8:12 am) and rode Mickey RR (2x walk on), the little coaster, got a snack, rode Roger Rabbit, walked up to Matterhorn and rode it walk on, went back to toon town cause DD wanted mini corn dogs and another one of their boba tea drinks (it was hot!), and then we walked up to the front to meet our friends. That is 11 rides between 7:30 and like 10 am, plus 2 snacks.

With the plaid and 6 of us—one newbie, 3 experienced and 2 that say they are experienced but didn’t know who the Queen of Hearts was when we passed her… we rode (starting around 11)—Indy, Pirates, HM, BTMRR, Rise, Peter Pan, Alice, Matterhorn, Mickey RR, then we had a back door access to meet Mickey and right after met Minnie too (in their houses). At that point we were dropped off at Club 33 for lunch (it was around 1:15 pm). After lunch we walked to DCA and rode Soarin, Cars and Incredicoaster, and we tried to get on GoTG but the lightning lane was crazy and so was webslingers, so we called it and went to club 1901 where we stayed until our plaid was off the clock—sigh.

Let’s now contrast that with DD and I at rope drop Saturday morning—GoTG 2x no wait, webslingers no wait, Luigi and mater rides, snack time, monster’s Inc, Ariel, Symphony Swings, Death Wheel (we love it), at this point one of our bougie friend finally made it to the park--it is 10 am—we rode Incredicoaster—walk on, snagged LL for GoTG to use immediately, followed by webslingers to also use immediately. At this point it was nearing 11 and I promised DD nap and pool time at 11 am if she rope dropped two days in a row. We came back to the parks at 6 pm and rode Space and did Buzz in DL (I had snagged LLs to use later) and then went back to DCA and bummed around and rode incredicoaster and monsters after dark and ate food and watched the late WOC, crossed back to DL and got Indy, Pooh and Pirates done before close. I think we had a better day with no plaid—including a long nap and swim time! But we enjoyed the club 33 fancy stuff, that was bucket list stuff. I just think we know how to do the parks at least as well as a plaid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter