Viewing fireworks from Rivers of America

EmJ

DIS Veteran
I understand this location is not the best view of the fireworks, but if my goal was “shortest amount of time needed to save a spot”, is this the fireworks location for me? How far in advance do people start waiting for the fireworks at Rivers of America?

I understand this location is not the best view of the fireworks, but if my goal was “shortest amount of time needed to save a spot”, is this the fireworks location for me? How far in advance do people start waiting for the fireworks at Rivers of America?
From the research I've done, depending on when you go, most people watching the fireworks from RoA will probably be people who just finished the first Fantasmic! show or are waiting for the second F! show. That should give you a relative estimate of people there. I'm not an expert in this so wait for another answer on whether or not it's a short waiting spot, but that's my take on things. :)

From the research I've done, depending on when you go, most people watching the fireworks from RoA will probably be people who just finished the first Fantasmic! show or are waiting for the second F! show. That should give you a relative estimate of people there. I'm not an expert in this so wait for another answer on whether or not it's a short waiting spot, but that's my take on things. :)
Yeesh. That sounds crowded. Okay take two... how do people feel about the Small World location?

Tbh I could take or leave the fireworks, but my kid will like them and he doesn’t know the difference between viewing spots. I had planned to leave the park every day at 7:30, but it looks like fireworks are at 7:00 that time of year, so I expect egress down Main Street to be impossible. Ideally we would watch from Main Street and then leave, but I definitely don’t want to sit around for an hour+ waiting for them to start.

Secret option 4 is to try and avoid the fireworks altogether and catch a different attraction or two.

Wait. I don’t think Fantasmic will be showing the first week of March — at least it wasn’t in 2019. If there’s no Fantasmic, how does that change opinions on viewing from Rivers of America?

Wait. I don’t think Fantasmic will be showing the first week of March — at least it wasn’t in 2019. If there’s no Fantasmic, how does that change opinions on viewing from Rivers of America?
Oh, okay! I didn't know when you would be visiting. In the case that Fantasmic isn't showing, then Rivers of America would probably be your best bet if you want to see projections and the fireworks! If Fantasmic is showing I'd say Small World.

F! and fireworks tend to be on the same schedule unless F! is down for refurb. Depending what the refurb entails it may or may not also affect their ability to do the projections on the RoA.

I'd think viewing by IASW is probably a better plan.

F! and fireworks tend to be on the same schedule unless F! is down for refurb. Depending what the refurb entails it may or may not also affect their ability to do the projections on the RoA.

I'd think viewing by IASW is probably a better plan.
Interesting. I’m trying to look at schedules back in time, so maybe they aren’t very accurate. How long would you say we need to show up if we are viewing from IASW?

Interesting. I’m trying to look at schedules back in time, so maybe they aren’t very accurate. How long would you say we need to show up if we are viewing from IASW?

Well the Mickey's Mix Magic show they ran this spring can be run with or without fireworks so it probably appears on historical schedules for every night but likely only weekends in early March would have included the fireworks. Even for the show without fireworks viewing on RoA if F! is down for refurb (which it often is around that time) would be variable, I'd think. On the more traditional fireworks shows they would only be weekends until spring break season starts (probably not by the first week of March).

Sorry, I don't have a good suggestion on when to show up near IASW-hopefully others will chime in. But also keep in mind that we don't really know what fireworks show they will be doing next March which could also affect what might be good viewing areas/when to line up.

Thanks! I’m guessing you’re exactly right about MMM. I guess I will just have to wait... I hate waiting!

I won’t be heartbroken if the fireworks aren’t running. I feel so overwhelmed with choices already, it’s a bit of a relief to have some taken off my plate, lol.

Thanks! I’m guessing you’re exactly right about MMM. I guess I will just have to wait... I hate waiting!

I won’t be heartbroken if the fireworks aren’t running. I feel so overwhelmed with choices already, it’s a bit of a relief to have some taken off my plate, lol.
I can relate with the choices, but (sort of?) unfortunately we're going at a peak peak season so I doubt there will be anything closed. :confused3

OP: which hotel will you be staying at? If your son isn't picky about viewing spots, but just wants to see fireworks in general (our kids were like this when they were little), viewing from your hotel can be a great option. We could get bath time finished and watch fireworks in jammies from our balcony -- fun! Another place to view fireworks (just fireworks, not much else) is from the tables at Galactic Grill in TL. Get a snack and watch the fireworks over the Matterhorn. You can hear the music just fine. We've watched from there when we just wanted to enjoy a snack and not deal with crowds. A lot of this can depend on which show is running at the time of your visit -- you might really want to see the projections after all! -- but these are just things to keep in mind.

Last edited:
OP: which hotel will you be staying at? If your son isn't picky about viewing spots, but just wants to see fireworks in general (our kids were like this when they were little), viewing from your hotel can be a great option. We could get bath time finished and watch fireworks in jammies from our balcony -- fun! Another place to view fireworks (just fireworks, not much else) is from the tables at Galactic Grill in TL. Get a snack and watch the fireworks over the Matterhorn. You can hear the music just fine. We've watched from there when we just wanted to enjoy a snack and not deal with crowds. A lot of this can depend on which show is running at the time of your visit -- you might really want to see the projections after all! -- but these are just things to keep in mind.
Thanks! We are at Best Western Park Place Inn. I don't know if the fireworks are viewable from there or not.

We are visiting the first week of March, Tuesday-Friday. It looks like it is still considered off season and most shows won't be running until Friday. Which is okay, honestly. Our son will be five and is an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kid, so a show even at 8:00 is going to be too late for us. I was mostly thinking that if the fireworks were at 7:00 and we actually could not exit down Main Street by 7:30, then we might as well stay and watch. But if egress is possible, we will mosey out so he can sleep and get ready for the next day!

The projections look better on IASW than on the water screens at ROA. I recommend the IASW location. You can show up 15 min early.

Reactions: EmJ
Thanks! We are at Best Western Park Place Inn. I don't know if the fireworks are viewable from there or not.

We are visiting the first week of March, Tuesday-Friday. It looks like it is still considered off season and most shows won't be running until Friday. Which is okay, honestly. Our son will be five and is an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kid, so a show even at 8:00 is going to be too late for us. I was mostly thinking that if the fireworks were at 7:00 and we actually could not exit down Main Street by 7:30, then we might as well stay and watch. But if egress is possible, we will mosey out so he can sleep and get ready for the next day!

There aren't fireworks that early in March. They will be at 9:30.

There aren't fireworks that early in March. They will be at 9:30.
That works. We will be snuggled in bed by then. I really appreciate everyone's help! My touring plan is coming along nicely :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter