• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Video or gator at Splash Mountain....is this ride and other water rides safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/06/...ployee-fending-alligator-splash-mountain-2009

I know many of you will freak out on me, rolling your eyes and saying that there is more of chance of getting killed on the road to the airport than at WDW but here it goes anyway........the gator in this video is very very close to the people in the logs. If the CM wasn't there the gator could climb over and technically be almost at eye level with the guests sitting in the ride. So.......how safe is this?? I read that gators can lunge so it is close enough to lunge and get in the log as it appears in this video......and on that note, what about the other water rides like Kali River Rapids, Jungle Cruise, Pirates (yes I know that ride is inside)........etc...... I dont want my family to be the next victim where people say as they are now "well it was a rare occurrence"..... I dont want to be that rare occurrence that people speak of.....:hyper2::rolleyes1:scared:

The alligator is probably that close because people are feeding it and he/she is looking for a treat! I have been going to Disney since 1976 when I was 14 months old and as far back as I can remember there have never been alligators in the rides. I think you will be fine. Use it as a good teaching moment to not feed the animals.

Could a gator crawl into a log at Splash Mountain? Maybe, but it's highly unlikely. It's simply that it wouldn't do so. Gators do not generally attack people. That gator has zero interest in boarding a ride vehicle. In fact, I'm sure it wouldn't want to get close lest it injure itself.

Now, the gator should be removed so that people don't antagonize it or feed it or anything. He's not an attraction and it is better for the guests and the gators that it be taken back to the undeveloped areas, but I really just would not worry about it attacking you while on the ride.

The alligator is probably that close because people are feeding it and he/she is looking for a treat! I have been going to Disney since 1976 when I was 14 months old and as far back as I can remember there have never been alligators in the rides. I think you will be fine. Use it as a good teaching moment to not feed the animals.
we never fed any animals, but saying that they are there because others feed them doesnt really help anyone because either way, they are there now...

" they are there now..."
do you know how old this video is? fyi, 2009. it's not a sudden invasion, they have BEEN there since the beginning!
i am aware that this video is old and this is not a sudden invasion. that actually upsets my family more because the danger has always been around us and we were ignorant to it. While I the subject Im also upset that I had no clue the waters around disney have the brain eating amoebas. Not that we went in the water but you just have to get splashed with it for a possible infection. Why didnt disney just inform their guests of the issues. Information is golden. I truly feel disney intentionally left these bits of information out just to keep the "magic" going....

The alligators have always been there. Finding one around Splash Mountain is a pretty common occurence.

The fact that they have gone pretty much unnoticed up until now is a testament to how big of a non-issue they are. You are more likely to fall out of the log on Splash Mountain than get hurt by an alligator there.

I can't wait until this all blows over.

that video was from 2009...

imagine how big that GATOR is now!!!!
I been on that ride a few dozens and never thought about gators being that close.. ugh!

I been on that ride a few dozens and never thought about gators being that close.. ugh!
my husband who is not afraid of anything and always rolls his eyes when I mention a slight fear of anything has actually shown concern with the gator issue at WDW.....when he gets scared, I really get scared because of his not ever caring about any potential threat of anything.....

i am aware that this video is old and this is not a sudden invasion. that actually upsets my family more because the danger has always been around us and we were ignorant to it. While I the subject Im also upset that I had no clue the waters around disney have the brain eating amoebas. Not that we went in the water but you just have to get splashed with it for a possible infection. Why didnt disney just inform their guests of the issues. Information is golden. I truly feel disney intentionally left these bits of information out just to keep the "magic" going....
The gators have been there for all 45 years of WDW's existence. Last week was the first time something happened. You're safe. Relax.

Yeah, but after a certain length, 4 ft I believe, it would have been removed so it's not there now. If it was that length then it would also have been removed. Up to about that length they pose no threat to humans. People need to get informed rather than let their fears get hold of them.

Can we please stop the madness and hysteria??? It was a freak tragedy, and in the history of WDW and incredibly rare one (last one was 30 years ago, right?). Could it happen again? Sure, I bet some time in the next 50 years it will. But big picture...yeah, you're much more likely to be killed crossing the street. It was horrific and tragic, but no cause for over reaction.

Crocs and gators pre-date WDW by a couple of years...give or take a few millennium. They will always be there. At WDW, in the Everglades...everywhere.

Why didnt disney just inform their guests of the issues. Information is golden. I truly feel disney intentionally left these bits of information out just to keep the "magic" going....

People DO know about these things, though. Disney wasn't hiding information. It is common knowledge that Florida has alligators. There have been articles about the amoebas in the water. Disney puts up signs to stay out of the water and they remove alligators once they reach a certain size. So they ARE NOT "leaving these bits of information out."

There is sooo much danger around you. Driving a car is hazardous, flying, walking, weather, people.......Are you letting those dangerous things make you upset?

If you let fear control you....you stop living.

My husband has a very dangerous job. It killed a friend of his 2 years ago actually you can look it up. Helo pilot killed in red sea. (granted it wasn't his fault it was someone else) Do I get a bit worried when I don't hear from him after I have an idea of when he is supposed to be on the ground...sure but I worry about him when he say's I'm running to grab dinner and an hour later he hasn't returned...I don't let fear control me. I can only do so much in my own control. After that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter