Video Chat

Which is really disappointing because they know how many people to expect will use DAS in any given month. No excuse on Disney’s part. Unfortunately, though, it seems to be a typical bungled roll-out of a new system.
I‘m disappointed too. There were quite a few things that seemed like really ‘iffy’ choices to me.

1) Why roll it out now?
Apparently, they wanted to roll everything out with Genie. This particular piece was, I guess you could say ‘highly anticipated’, but everything I‘ve read sounds like people expected it later. I expected it later, maybe not even until after the first of the year.

2) Why was the extent of the ‘value’ of the 2 DAS Advance Selections encouraging pre-sign up not anticipated?
Many, if not most, people who used DAS in the past (before the parks closed) also used Fastpasses. Obviously, first time visitors and those whose only visits were after re-opening, had not used Fastpass.
But, those of us who had knew how helpful they could be. And, since DAS Advance Selections was highly ‘advertised‘ on the website DAS information, people were ‘primed’ to sign up as soon as the live link appeared.

3) Taking away of Fastpasses
Many people are worried or doubtful of the Genie/Genie+ roll out. Some people didn’t know about Fastpasses, but they were advertised as a free service on the Disney website in various places and also on the park maps. Plus, the buses had information.
IMHO, and in the view of many people posting on Disney forums and Facebook, DL’s paid Maxpass was/is looked at as porting WDW‘s free Fastpass service to DL (with a few added features). Genie+ is looked at as bringing paid Maxpass to WDW in place of the previous free service. People who used Maxpass at DL may not agree, but a large number of people on the internet do agree.

4) Why was the ‘viral’ aspect of the internet not anticipated?
They may have hoped for a ‘soft’ roll out and I can but once the link was out, it was out. I don’t know if a roll out was tried first for a small number; I don’t know how they could have, but maybe would be ways??

4) Why such a large timeframe for visits?
WDW has historical records of how many DAS are issued each day for each park, probably by day.
I don’t understand the reason for ‘pushing’ 28 days of DAS registration Into potentially all trying to contact Disney on the same day. I would have done a shorter timeframe - maybe 14 days or a week instead of 28, at least at first.

5) Why is it that timeframe?
2 days to 30 days before visit puts people who are frantically trying to get it done for a visit coming up soon with people coming much later. Adds to the stress.
I would start the timeframe farther from the visit - 2 days is a very short time to try to get it done. Maybe, it could be moved back to 2 days after it’s been rolled out for a while, but right now it’s adding to the problem.
I understood all days of the visit needed to be within the 30 day time frame, but many didn’t. I don’t know if they clarified it, but it should have been clear from the start.

6) Person registering for DAS must be present.
I understand this - not requiring it is an invitation to fraud. But, maybe some type of creative solution - like separate links for guests registering for themselves or for someone else. The ‘someone else’ link could include a screening message verifying the person is available and saying to contact again if the person is not available.
Some people have posted in various places that they found out after waiting many hours that they could not register for this reason.
I am on chat right now waiting. The Information about the person being available is on the website, but not called out when you click to join chat or when you get the «please stay close to your browser » message.

7) Call return
Many people have mentioned being disappointed this wasn’t available. From my family‘s experience, this is not available at all on the Disney website.

3 hours and 20 minutes and I finally got through on the chat. I was verified and now I am waiting again for a cast member to assist me video chat in DAS planning. How long will I wait for this??? 1, 2 3 hours the world will never know

3 hours and 20 minutes and I finally got through on the chat. I was verified and now I am waiting again for a cast member to assist me video chat in DAS planning. How long will I wait for this??? 1, 2 3 hours the world will never know
Congratulations! I hope you get every option you want!

They've vastly changed the system today. I am trying to pre-book my remaining 2 reservations.

I started a chat at 8:49am this morning from 2 different browsers - sent a "hello" every once in awhile, and at 12:35pm "Fifi" came into both browser chat. Fifi asked me for some information and had me fill out the form, and now I am on hold to talk to a video chat CM. I was hoping Fifi might be able to help me make the DAS Advance Selections since I already have DAS approved from earlier this week, but she said I have to go through the whole process again.

Much shorter wait time to talk to the first person, but I have no clue how long it will be until I talk to the next person. Fifi left the chat after she got my information - she sent this and then I got an automated message:

"
Fifi
at 12:45, Oct 15:
Thank you for your patience. It is taking a moment. Please bear with us while a Video Chat Cast Member becomes available to set up the next steps for Disability Access Service qualification. Thank you for your patience with us during this process.

Info
at 12:46, Oct 15:
The Cast Member you were previously messaging with is unavailable. Another Cast Member will respond shortly."

When I did this on Wednesday and talked to Rick, he was the person I video chatted with, so they must be adding a lot of additional CMs who can't video chat to try to filter out people who are in the wrong place or don't have an upcoming stay, etc.

I was thinking I would be able to jump right on to talk to someone via video chat but maybe thats not the case?

CogsworthTN - how long have you been waiting so far to video chat?

I think it is kind of crappy that they didn't even say how long it would be before I talk to the next person - just "shortly".

Last edited:
I just finished with video chat. I was only able to do first three days of November trip. Will have to call back in six days to book remaining days or call everyday. I will wait six days. Spoke to May via video chat, she was so nice. She told me when I log in on the chat on the 21st, when I get answered to tell them I have been verified and already have completed the video chat and I just need to choose the DAS selections for the remaining days of my trip. She said that should streamline things. She said the new changes that went into effect today should help.

After reading everyone's struggles and trying twice with no luck, I'm just doing it in person when we get to MK. I've never waited longer than 10 mins at guest services, so waiting 8 to 10 hours online just isn't worth it to me. Good luck to everyone trying to get through and have amazing trips when you go :-)

I just finished with video chat. I was only able to do first three days of November trip. Will have to call back in six days to book remaining days or call everyday. I will wait six days. Spoke to May via video chat, she was so nice. She told me when I log in on the chat on the 21st, when I get answered to tell them I have been verified and already have completed the video chat and I just need to choose the DAS selections for the remaining days of my trip. She said that should streamline things. She said the new changes that went into effect today should help.

That is what I'm trying to do - just make my pre-selections, but they said I have to do the video chat.

How long did you have to wait to get through to the video chat?

Good way to make us prove stress and anxiety issues. :rolleyes:
Haha.
“What happens if he’s in an enclosed space with strangers for 2 hours?”
“We’ll only need to be on this call for 12 more seconds and you’ll see firsthand”

funny but not
Which is really disappointing because they know how many people to expect will use DAS in any given month. No excuse on Disney’s part. Unfortunately, though, it seems to be a typical bungled roll-out of a new system.
I wonder if announcing changes to DAS with the Genie+ announcement led to more awareness and unexpectedly high demand

So those of us arriving before Nov 1 can no longer pre register via video chat and cannot make advance selections, is that about right? Unbelievable that Disney would change the rules midstream like this.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not really surprised...
Yeah, I'm just kind of disappointed and annoyed. "Try again tomorrow" "Try again later." "Disney login service not available." "Try again tomorrow." Then it changed and I can't do it at all? Also, for anyone arriving after November 1st.

Due to increased volume via our new pre-arrival option, we are currently only assisting Guests looking to plan from November 1 - November 14th. If you are looking to visit before November 1st, we ask that you visit Guest Relations upon arrival to assist with your DAS verifications and registration.

I am reading that the pre-registration for disability guests is only for guests arriving after Nov. 1st. Is this true or just false information? My trip is the end of October.

I am reading that the pre-registration for disability guests is only for guests arriving after Nov. 1st. Is this true or just false information? My trip is the end of October.
It’s true unfortunately, they changed it on a ton of people abruptly last night….

Last edited:
Haha.
“What happens if he’s in an enclosed space with strangers for 2 hours?”
“We’ll only need to be on this call for 12 more seconds and you’ll see firsthand”

funny but not

I wonder if announcing changes to DAS with the Genie+ announcement led to more awareness and unexpectedly high demand
I think that might be part.
I think a large part of it is due to them doing registration that would have been spread out to 28 days in 4 parks into potentially all those people trying to get into the same video chats at the same time.
Also, a LOT of people used the free Fastpasses along with DAS. Many are pretty nervous about how Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane will impact that, so they really wanted to get registered for the DAS Advance Selections

Be interesting how this video chat process works out.

our son never sits still for Skype calls with experts and doctors . We are starting to process of getting a formal diagnosis of Autism which we know is going to come back as such but on a video chat you may not think there’s any needs there?

we took him to a local theme park recently as a test and my lord, he struggled with the standby by wait times.

Ugh, I've been waiting since 8:49am, talked to a CM via chat who had me fill out a form at 12:34pm but since then - I guess I'm waiting for a video chat now, but no clue how long that will take. Almost to 6 hours since I started the chat again and nearly 2 hours since I talked to Fifi via chat and waiting for a video chat with someone.

What if nobody comes back?

I'm only trying to book the rest of my DAS Advance Selections. I wish they would have done that via chat with the first person or have a way to do that online w/o needing to talk to someone.

We’ll, I tried but no help for the “we’ve changed the rules during the game” from chat or calling. Basically told they were sorry but you can only do the advance DAS through the video chat and since you arrive next week you’re not eligible as it starts only with Nov 1 arrivals. Told only thing I can do is visit guest relations on my trip.
Not helpful since I already knew that and that’s what I was trying to avoid and get it done beforehand. And of course no advance passes. I’m pretty disgusted with this whole thing so far. No help at all. And it took 5 hours waiting to get that response.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter