Victoria and Alberts Dissed Me

mgentry210

Mouseketeer
just an FYI. We dined there in September and had this AMAZINGLY roasted white chocolate ice cream. Texture, taste, everything was perfect. I would eat this everyday. I wanted to make some for thanksgiving so I called for the recipe. They said no! The hostess was very nice and called me back promptly but the pastry chef declined to release his recipe. This is not usual disney, but I'm assuming it's because it is Victoria and Alberts. I found one on Google that I'm going to try, but I found it interesting they did not share.

How was declining to share a recipe showing disrespect or rudeness? While they do share some recipes, they are under no obligation to do so. :confused3
sorry if it can across as disrespect or rudeness. In fact I said the opposite. The hostess was very nice. It's just surprising since disney typically openly shares their recipes. I figured anyone on this thread might be interested. I think you may be getting the wrong impression from my title. It was a pun. Dissed. Dis boards. Get it?

sorry if it can across as disrespect or rudeness. In fact I said the opposite. The hostess was very nice. It's just surprising since disney typically openly shares their recipes. I figured anyone on this thread might be interested. I think you may be getting the wrong impression from my title. It was a pun. Dissed. Dis boards. Get it?

Might want to work on your pun skills! Dissed means to show disrespect to someone. Maybe Dis-(board)-ed may have worked better? Actually nope. Total pun fail :)

:confused3 I thought it was punny :confused3

Might want to work on your pun skills! Dissed means to show disrespect to someone. Maybe Dis-(board)-ed may have worked better? Actually nope. Total pun fail :)

I agree. Dissed has a specific meaning and that is what your title conveyed, very misleading.

just an FYI. We dined there in September and had this AMAZINGLY roasted white chocolate ice cream. Texture, taste, everything was perfect. I would eat this everyday. I wanted to make some for thanksgiving so I called for the recipe. They said no! The hostess was very nice and called me back promptly but the pastry chef declined to release his recipe. This is not usual disney, but I'm assuming it's because it is Victoria and Alberts. I found one on Google that I'm going to try, but I found it interesting they did not share.

I didn't get the pun either. But I'm not surprised at their response. Really it is not something you should have asked for. IMO

Try this recipe (I'd remove the lavender):

http://www.jsonline.com/features/recipes/216929791.html

It's hard to keep a recipe secret, since most creations are just modified recipes that have already been done.

A lot of chefs share their recipes so I can see why the OP might have thought this simple dessert would be shared. Maybe she caught the chef in a bad mood.

Actually, you said exactly that. The title says "Victoria and Alberts dissed me."

Just sayin' :cool1:

How was declining to share a recipe showing disrespect or rudeness? While they do share some recipes, they are under no obligation to do so. :confused3

True, and there is another aspect to the restaurant business that isn't well known. Sometimes the recipe is owned by the restaurant and sometimes the recipe is owned by the chef. In other words, the recipe is unique to that chef and is their signature. A fine restaurant will hire a chef for their uniqueness and I would expect V&A is that kind of restaurant. In this case, the chef would not give up a secret that helps make them special.

True, and there is another aspect to the restaurant business that isn't well known. Sometimes the recipe is owned by the restaurant and sometimes the recipe is owned by the chef. In other words, the recipe is unique to that chef and is their signature. A fine restaurant will hire a chef for their uniqueness and I would expect V&A is that kind of restaurant. In this case, the chef would not give up a secret that helps make them special.

Finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :thumbsup2

I've been waiting for the obvious response.

There's no respectable chef who wants to see their creation turned into an online recipe scattered across the internet. It's admirable and a compliment to them that you've enjoyed it that much, but it hinders their creation. Especially with an establishment that has a unique menu and is coveted in the culinary world. It puts a real dent in the hype if the chef's creations can be found it it's entirety on the internet.

Recipes cannot be copyrighted. Chefs utilize other cook's ideas, anyway. That guy I'm sure did not invent roasted ice cream. You can find it all over the internet.

I'm pretty sure that V&A chef's "Roasted" ice cream was very similar to fried ice cream, which has been around for decades and was served at Chi Chi's restaurant, a popular mexican chain way back in the 80's.

Info on copyright recipes:
http://www.food.com/help/view?iid=44

OP: Did your roasted ice cream look anything like any of these pictures?

http://www.pinterest.com/explore/fried-ice-cream/

Try this recipe (I'd remove the lavender):

http://www.jsonline.com/features/recipes/216929791.html

It's hard to keep a recipe secret, since most creations are just modified recipes that have already been done.

A lot of chefs share their recipes so I can see why the OP might have thought this simple dessert would be shared. Maybe she caught the chef in a bad mood.

nice
would you happen to know the cheese cupcake recipe from BOG?
my son in law asked them for it last year, but never received it..
he would be your in your debt forever if you pointed us in the right direction :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter