VGT - good, bad, ugly?

I’m considering this also. We just did our first cruise in a deluxe family oceanview. Aft room, so felt a good bit of vibration (and we were fine with it). So if I did a VGT and my main concerns are having a shower (don’t need a tub) and a place for all 4 of us to sleep, we are most likely fine it sounds like. I don’t love the possibility of noise from anywhere (chairs on deck moving, bar area, etc), but I’m thinking we would most likely be ok. Since we don’t have a ton of cruise experience and probably had a room with a higher level of motion, that may make this an easier gamble for us than for others who have clearer preferences. Right?

You are right. You have the mentality perfectly suited for a GT cabin. And should have a great time cruising.

We booked a VGT on the Wonder in Dec 2021 out of Galveston and were on the aft port side so we felt quite a bit of vibration (at least on the first 2 nights). It bothered our youngest daughter a little but, but was not that big of a deal. The cost savings for us were worth it and we did not mind being near the aft elevators (quick few steps up to Cabanas too). For the money we saved, we felt it was well worth the trade off of not selecting our room. After all, if the choice is go on a VGT rate or not at all, then that’s an easy choice.

We booked a VGT rate for our upcoming Dream cruise out of Miami this Oct. The only reason we are even going is we had to cancel our UNI/WDW trip in late July due to the family coming down with COVID the night before our flight. We rescheduled UNI/WDW to March 2023 and since VGT was available, we were able to squeeze in a 4 night cruise in Oct so we still had a Disney trip this year.

After all, if the choice is go on a VGT rate or not at all, then that’s an easy choice.
This is the bottom line for me. When I've booked GT, it's because I'm simply not willing to pay the regular price. As a teacher I usually have to cruise over school holidays, and those cruises are massively overpriced: the DCL holiday premium on top of the regular DCL premium over other mass market cruises. Booking GT often bridges that price gap.

Last edited:

I booked OGT for my upcoming cruise in October. I’m nervous about it cause I have gotten sea sick before (not on a cruise ship tho, I’ve never gotten sea sick on a cruise ship so hopefully that trend continues) and this is m 3 yr. Olds first cruise. I’m hoping we don’t get a handicap room and are able to see out the window. However, booking OGT allowed me to switch from 4 nights on Wish to 8 Nights on Fantasy for about the same cost. I figure if the room is really bad, I’ll either try to upgrade at the port. If we can’t upgrade at port, then we will just make the best of it and spend most our time enjoying she ship and being by the pool and not in the room…which is likely what we will be doing anyways. A bad room on the ship is still better to me than no room on the ship.

And the OGT room reminds me as a kid of the $10 grab bags that you didn’t know what you were getting till you opened them. It adds some more fun for me as I wait to be surprised what room we get…maybe it will be the worse room on the ship, maybe it will be an upgrade, maybe it will be a run of the mill room…who knows lol

booking OGT allowed me to switch from 4 nights on Wish to 8 Nights on Fantasy for about the same cost.
That's awesome and totally worth it.
I booked OGT for my upcoming cruise in October. I’m nervous about it cause I have gotten sea sick before (not on a cruise ship tho, I’ve never gotten sea sick on a cruise ship so hopefully that trend continues)
I've had staterooms that were on high decks very close to the front of the ship, and still didn't get seasick, even though one of them was a very rocky cruise overall. I can get nauseous on small boats, spinning theme park rides, etc., but have yet to have seasickness plague me on a cruise ship.

Okay we changed the cruise we were planning to do from Dec 23 Wonder and are officially in VGT for December 24 Dream. It will be our 8th cruise and the Dream is the only disney ship we have not sailed so we will have all 5 ships.

Fingers crossed for a great cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter