Very upsetting checkout at BWI

Pat329

Mouseketeer
We had another great week at WDW this past week and the second great stay at the BWI. However they checking out process put a big glitch in the week. This was our first time using the magic bands so when we checked in the girl asked me for a credit card to put on the bands to make purchasing easier by charging everything to our room. Well, I had saved our reward points for about 2 years so I had over $200 to spend on 'free stuff' so I didn't want to add my credit card. She explained to me that they couldn't yet match the magic bands to the Visa rewards card but if I put the Visa credit card on the band, all of my purchases would go to the room and then when we checked out, I could then pay for all the purchases put towards my credit card with my rewards card. Sounded good to me! So when we checked out yesterday, I went to the desk and got my bill. I had bought $177 worth of stuff that I thought was free but was told that it had already been charged to my Visa credit card. I told her that I was told at checkin that I could pay off my bill using my rewards redemption card but she said it was too late. All charges are entered on their system at 2am the morning of your checkout and I would have had to pay off my account using my rewards card the night before to stop the charges from being processed using my credit card. We were never told this!!!!! So now I bough $177 worth of stuff that I really didn't need but thought was free. That's what you use rewards points for...buying stuff you wouldn't necessarily buy but will when it's free! I asked her to reverse the charge and she said she couldn't. I was so mad. Why am I now paying for free stuff when their employee didn't inform me of the correct process. Now I have an entire rewards card unused and a bill coming for $177 next month on a trip that was completely paid for before we left. Now, should I contact the hotel to see if they can still reverse this or maybe VISA? I know it's only $177 but I value those reward dollars and thought I was really getting a bargain buying that expensive wallet and those extra appetizers at dinner because they were 'free'. Any thoughts????

That's not true! I would call! We went in March and we were able to do what you had planned to do and it worked just fine!

They should have been able to reverse the charges process or not. It is as simple as issuing a refund and then charging it to the correct method.

I would definitely call. They have to have a way to refund the money back to your card. If they say they can't then I would call Visa and dispute the charge...but it shouldn't have to go that far.

That charge is still in the PENDING status..

Have them REVERSE the charge!
GOOD LUCK!:)

It is true that the charges are posted to the credit card overnight on your last night. The original CM at check-in should have told you to come to the desk the day before you check out to settle your bill. That being said, the CM at check-out definitely had the ability to reverse the charges and post them how you wanted them. This has happened to me before at other hotels (not WDW) where I wanted to pay cash at check-out instead of it being on my card. They just reverse the charge to my card and accept the cash. I would imagine the CM at check-out either wasn't aware or didn't know how.

It's certainly worth calling and trying to fix, but it likely would have been easier to ask for a manager on-site who would have known how to do it. Good luck!

I would definitely call. They have to have a way to refund the money back to your card. If they say they can't then I would call Visa and dispute the charge...but it shouldn't have to go that far.

That would be a fraudulent use of a charge dispute and not something I'd recommend. OP knows what the charges are and why they happened. The charges were not erroneous, even though it's not how OP wanted them to be applied. Exhaust your options at Disney, but do it sooner rather than later before more time has passed.

Thanks to all. I just called and Justin took care of it in minutes. He said they were correct in what the process is but that it can be reversed. That's for letting me know I wasn't the only one that had this problem. I wish I had asked to speak to a supervisor before I left. It would have made that long drive back to PA a little more pleasant.....if driving back into 30 degree whether from 80 could ever be pleasant. lol

Glad it worked out okay, OP! A word of warning to others. Go to the desk and make any changes you wish on the day PRIOR to checking out. I am going to WDW in December and am taking several Disney gift cards which I plan to apply to my hotel stay. Your story is a good reminder that I need to visit the front desk and have those gift cards applied to my account every couple of days.

It is things like that that make me NOT allow room keys and I guess now Magic Bands to have the ability to purchase items. It gives me more control over what I spend and honestly, if I feel the need to buy something, whipping out the wallet sometimes gives me time to think "Do I really need this?", LOL

It is things like that that make me NOT allow room keys and I guess now Magic Bands to have the ability to purchase items. It gives me more control over what I spend and honestly, if I feel the need to buy something, whipping out the wallet sometimes gives me time to think "Do I really need this?", LOL

I use the Magic Bands to control my spending. I put all of my "fun money" onto Disney gift cards. And that is all I can spend, my debit card does not go with me into the parks. Using gift cards I force myself to keep track of every penny spent. Then every few days I go down to the front desk and pay off my room charges with the gift cards.

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in the "procedures".

- As long as they have allowed charging to room (which I am pretty sure is 20+ years) it has always happened with a charge card attached to the account.
- In all of these years I have never had to "check out" because they billed my credit card and left a memo on my door and last couple years an email with receipt.
- Since MDE nothing has changed in my account and I never have to input a CC# for dining or anything.
- My last visit to POFQ, we had a charge card on our room, I am sure because not only has it always been there but I was able to charge to my room with my MagicBand.
- Checkout morning we are in bathing suits heading to BB, no email and nothing on my door. I called to see if an email could be sent before I left. "No you have to go to front desk to check out and settle your bill." What? I was getting ready to drive away. I had money due on my account from my MagicBand charges .... but no credit card. Shouldn't have been allowed to happen.
- They let me charge to my room but they say they have no credit card............. let's say having to go to lobby in swimwear, even with cover up, was not a magical moment.
- Trip before that we wanted to split the hotel on to two credit cards, DH was in Orlando on business weekdays so he was covering those nights. They billed the entire room only stay before we even checked in. Charging me the full amount before my arrival? When I got the email, we went to front desk and asked them to reverse out the charges and bill him for the weeknights. Absolutely no problem. They issue a credit and rebill.

1) I agree to always visit front desk if you think there may be any unusual issues happening your last night while you sleep or you wish to pay in alternate way.
2) If staying a lengthy stay, check your credit card every few days. We have had our card billed during the stay and the "tab" started all over again.
3) They absolutely have the ability to credit and rebill. If they won't ask for a supervisor.

Checkout morning we are in bathing suits heading to BB, no email and nothing on my door. I called to see if an email could be sent before I left. "No you have to go to front desk to check out and settle your bill." What? I was getting ready to drive away. I had money due on my account from my MagicBand charges .... but no credit card. Shouldn't have been allowed to happen.
- They let me charge to my room but they say they have no credit card

That had to be a glitch. Ever since this new online checkin started, they lose my CC info half the time (or more). They've always noticed and ask for the CC (if I want charging on my account) at checkin.

I hope that since Justin was able to take care of it, he also takes it further to the CM at checkout (or her boss). She needs to know the proper way of doing things. And if they can see who checked you in, they can help that CM know that they need to tell you everything about charging to the room, too!

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in the "procedures".

- As long as they have allowed charging to room (which I am pretty sure is 20+ years) it has always happened with a charge card attached to the account.
- In all of these years I have never had to "check out" because they billed my credit card and left a memo on my door and last couple years an email with receipt.
- Since MDE nothing has changed in my account and I never have to input a CC# for dining or anything.
- My last visit to POFQ, we had a charge card on our room, I am sure because not only has it always been there but I was able to charge to my room with my MagicBand.
- Checkout morning we are in bathing suits heading to BB, no email and nothing on my door. I called to see if an email could be sent before I left. "No you have to go to front desk to check out and settle your bill." What? I was getting ready to drive away. I had money due on my account from my MagicBand charges .... but no credit card. Shouldn't have been allowed to happen.
- They let me charge to my room but they say they have no credit card............. let's say having to go to lobby in swimwear, even with cover up, was not a magical moment.
- Trip before that we wanted to split the hotel on to two credit cards, DH was in Orlando on business weekdays so he was covering those nights. They billed the entire room only stay before we even checked in. Charging me the full amount before my arrival? When I got the email, we went to front desk and asked them to reverse out the charges and bill him for the weeknights. Absolutely no problem. They issue a credit and rebill.

1) I agree to always visit front desk if you think there may be any unusual issues happening your last night while you sleep or you wish to pay in alternate way.
2) If staying a lengthy stay, check your credit card every few days. We have had our card billed during the stay and the "tab" started all over again.
3) They absolutely have the ability to credit and rebill. If they won't ask for a supervisor.

I use the bands to make all my charges. I also go to the front desk each morning to get a printout of my charges. I know that if I want to change cards or pay cash, it is my responsibility to go down the night before checkout and fix/pay in the method that I wish. I think because we go so many times, we know the rules and how to attack the problems before they exist. Others that don't travel as often, don't realize how easy it is to never carry a wallet on the trip and watch what is spent on a daily basis. With the bands, it is great to leave the wallet in the safe, especially on pool trips or to BB or TL. Love the freedom and the ease of being able to monitor my charges.

I never use my MB for charging. I don't even leave a credit card number at the front desk for "incidentals". I pay in cash only.:thumbsup2

I plan on charging my tips from the TS to my room -- and paying off with rewards and disney giftcards - -what time should I do that?

I plan on charging my tips from the TS to my room -- and paying off with rewards and disney giftcards - -what time should I do that?

Go down every few days and pay off what charges you have at that point. Do it before you spend enough that Disney charges the card, which happens at $500 worth of charges at a Value, $1000 at the Moderates, and $1500 at the Deluxe resorts.

It was convenient adding the credit card to the band. We also put tips on it. But be sure to ask when you can convert these charges to your rewards card before you check out. If not, you could have the same problem I did. But reading through all these posts, I think it all depends on what clerk you have at checkout. Happy spending!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter