• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Very minor hit and run accident

The driver will be fired. No company wants that sort of reputation. The passenger might also be fired, for flipping you off. But, since he seemed to want the driver to stop, he might get off with a reprimand.

You might be able to also sue in small claims court. The company might want to settle, so you might get a handsome settlement.

I hope you find out what happens. You've piqued my curiosity!
Maybe he was the owner 🤷🏻

There are two things going on with a case like this.

You have your civil case which involves the striking vehicle paying for damages. This should be turned over to your insurance company and it appears you have a solid case.

You also have a criminal case but here is where it is not as much of a slam dunk. First off,, depending on your state laws, you may not be allowed to file a criminal complaint on traffic charges directly with the courts and there fore, would need a police officer to proffer charges. So, you first hurdle is getting the officer to conduct an investigation. My former department would be salivating at a case like this but I cannot speak for al jurisdictions.

But, the second hurdle in a case like this is developing probable cause as to who was actually driving the vehicle. Did your dashcam capture the driver's face? If not, the officer can develop probable cause to charge based on interviews with the business and/or the suspect (if identified by the business). Probably cause will be enough to charge the driver but there still may not be enough evidence to convict. Hopefully you either have clear images of the driver's face ort he admits to being the driver when confronted.

My advice is to make sure that you express to the officer that you do want the driver charged and you WILL be available for court. Many officers are reluctant to charge anyone in traffic accidents because so many drivers lose interest in the case as soon as their vehicle is fixed and then they are a no show for court. The case will be dismissed if no victim shows up.

Best guess is the person driving is not on the insurance. I was hit once by a work truck, the guy who got out of the truck was NOT the same person's name they filed insurance with and I was shocked. Did anyone care though? nope In my late teens I was hit by a person and the licence plate registration vehicle did not match the car that hit me, probably stolen plates or a stolen car, shocked then too. Did anyone care, police or insurance ask questions? so much nope

My car was hit in a parking lot. The driver left a fake number, but someone else wrote down the car's details. I called the police and my insurance. Not much came out of it, and my car was repaired via my uninsured motorist coverage. :sad2:

Best guess is the person driving is not on the insurance. I was hit once by a work truck, the guy who got out of the truck was NOT the same person's name they filed insurance with and I was shocked. Did anyone care though? nope In my late teens I was hit by a person and the licence plate registration vehicle did not match the car that hit me, probably stolen plates or a stolen car, shocked then too. Did anyone care, police or insurance ask questions? so much nope
I would have cared. I loved tracking down hit and run drivers. I'm sorry you didn't get better service.

My car was hit by a hit and run while legally parked in a parking garage of a mall. They had camera's but the allegedly weren't working for that area. The police investigated but had no indication other then the car was painted white. No witness so it was repaired $3000. damage paid for by my insurance and I had to pay a $500. deductible. I was fortunate that they didn't raise my rates immediately, but over the next couple of years the cost went up drastically. Drastically enough that I switched insurance companies to save about $300. per year. I might add that I have been paying car insurance premiums for 57 years and never had a claim until that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter