• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero Beach - Tell me everything!

mar7967

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! My wife and I will be going to Vero Beach for a few night for the first time in May. We've never been there before and I feel like there is a lack of information! Any recommendations of things to do at the resort or nearby (aside from the pool/beach)? Also, what about dining - it seems there is only 1 real restaurant there - are reservations required/recommended? Where do you guys normally eat? Thanks in advance for any tips/advice you can offer!

The way to understand Disney's Vero Beach is to be aware of the development in the area. You have the ocean, which has many resorts along the beach including Disney's. On the other side of the resorts is a highway, A1A, that runs north and south, and for about 8 to 10 miles miles in ether direction all you will essentially be doing is driving by other ocean front resorts. On the other side of the highway is either more portions of the resorts along the beach or mainly forest and swamps, although there is a couple stores and a mediocre pizza restaurant not far from Disney's VB. The main reason there is not a lot more resort developments right across the street is because all those resorts along the ocean do not allow outsiders to pass through -- the beaches are all considered public but getting to the beach if you are not in one the resorts on the beach is near impossible except for the very low number of public access areas along that highway. So if you are thinking of having a lot to do near the resort, the reality is the only place you will have anything to do anywhere near the resort is at the Disney resort, although somewhat nearby is the Environmental Learning Center, which offers a park area for a walk around.

To get to other things, like most public restaurants or larger stores, you have go south 8-10 miles to the real city area of Vero Beach, north about 15 miles to Melbourne, or west about 4 miles over the Indian River to Highway 1, which runs north and south and drive up or down it for miles to find some larger stores and some restaurants. As to decent restaurants, there are some in any of those directions but one we found better than others was on the beach in the city area of VB, called the Ocean Grill, providing both decent food and excellent views. If you go there you will recognize much of the reality of Vero Beach as a retirement community, in that 75% of those eating in the restaurant are older than 65.

One thing you can also do is a river cruise on the Indian River from one of the businesses on the docks mainly in that city area of VB. The cruises are rather pleasant and you get to go by the mansion area along the river with many huge homes having gaudy structures outside (e.g., a big metal fish), owned mainly by persons who occupy the homes likely only a month or two out of the year, and many actually hire people to live there and care for the home during the time the owners are not there.

As to the resort itself, it is very good unless you are there when it is having one of the problems that can develop -- a hurricane which has caused some destruction or the green algae disasters that close all the beaches sometimes for a month or more. The pool is very nice with a good bar and fast food area and the resort has decent kid activities. There is only one main restaurant, Wind and Waves, and reservations are recommended.

Thank you! That is helpful information!

Would I be turned away without a reservation? How far in advance are reservations made (ie can we call in the morning to make a reservation for dinner time?).

Agree with above but would add that there is a very nice bike trail along the river. You can rent a bike at the resort and they will direct you. The beach there is narrow and the waves can break hard. Very nice pool.

Would I be turned away without a reservation? How far in advance are reservations made (ie can we call in the morning to make a reservation for dinner time?).

That I am not sure of. We have been to VB twice, once in early May and once in third week of Oct, neither of which times was the resort very crowded (e.g., no problems finding parking, or finding shaded seating areas at pool even after 11 a.m.). On each of those trips we dined at the restaurant once and reserved it while there, about two days before going. Each time, the tables were full for most of the time we were in the restaurant (prime dinner time). Whether that is noirmal for other busier times of year, I do not know.

We’ve been at VB in January, June, and November over the past two years. We usually have no problem making a dinner reservation at Wind & Waves on the morning when we want to eat there, although we may need to be flexible as to dining time.

A poster above mentioned the Ocean Grill. It’s in the Beach Blvd. area of Vero Beach itself, so a drive south on A1A. Well worth the drive. No reservations for small parties. They start taking names 1 hour before opening for dinner each evening, and seat parties in the order on their list. The window-side tables get filled first, so we always arrive early enough to get our name on the list, walk around the Beach Blvd. area for a while, then return to the Ocean Grill bar for a pre-dinner drink while waiting for our table.

I have only been to VB one time and that was this past January. We really like this resort very much and plan to go back again this coming February 2021. Our last visit was after a two week stay at WDW so the peace and quite was a very nice change. As others have said there isn't that much to do other then to relax and enjoy the resort. We spent one day driving into Vero Beach to check things out and onto the mainland to check out the town of Sabastian. There is a drive that goes along the Indian River in Sabastian with many places to dine. This is a scenic drive that the front desk can give you more information about along with a map.

I agree with above posted about Ocean Grill, we ate there one evening and it was very enjoyable. I plan to visit again on our next trip. While at the pool one day we were talk to regulars who recommended a place called The Riverside Café. This place is located in Vero Beach by the bridge that goes over to the mainland and on the Indian River so the views should be nice. We were told the food was good and it's less expensive then Ocean Grill. We plan to visit on our next visit to VB.

We had breakfast twice and dinner once at Wind and Wave. I don't think we had reservations for any of our meals and the restaurant was never busy when we were there. The food was ok but I wish they had a larger menu. My DH isn't a fish lover so not many options for him.

VB does have daily activities for children and adults alike. Most of them do come with a price tag attached. The play area for children is very nice and they also have miniature golf if you're interested. Overall I think VB is a very nice resort that I plan on visiting again for hopefully many years to come. I hope you enjoy your visit to VB.

We just got back from a Saturday to Tuesday stay. There are group activities everyday that rotate and some are an additional cost (arts and crafts, kayaks, jet skis, tours, etc). It was likely the most relaxing vacation we have ever taken on Disney.

We did a dinner with the pirates one night and the quick serve one night. We tried for the sit down, but the only reservation they had was for 8 pm that night. We needed to go get a couple of supplies, so we headed into town. We ate at a little mom and pop type place Nino's Corner Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria on 20th Street. They had a little bit of everything.

Good suggestions above, and particularly accurate description by drusba. If you want to simply relax and hang out by the pool or beach and do a few minor activities, then VB is a good spot. However, if you enjoy being a little more active and doing things, then plan to find activities farther from the resort. As mentioned, there are some good spots in VB proper to eat, and while there are plenty of great places in Melbourne, it's actually closer to 25-30 miles from Disney VB (I have a daughter who lives in Melbourne). The only restaurant at Disney's VB is average at best, though service is good. CMs are friendly, too. However, the place doesn't really wake up until 8 a.m., so if you want fresh coffee, you have to head to the fitness center where they brew some, but everyone knows that, and it's usually gone quickly. It's of middling quality, anyway. Of course, there's the stuff in the rooms, but I'd do that only in times of desperation.

Florida's governor just closed all restaurants for anything but carry out through May 8. So that may be a factor depending on your dates.

Do you have kids? I love the area, but don’t care too much for Vero Beach proper.
I live 9 minutes from the resort in Sebastian. My wife and I manage to happily occupy ourselves with a few local hangouts (Hiram’s NOT one of them.)
Not as much for kids off property however. Mclarty’s treasure museum is a hit for all ages, but you’ll need a car.
The resort itself is amazing.

Thank you for the responses everyone! We don't have kids, just my wife and I. Our plan was May 6-10 so obviously it's very likely we'll be cancelling or it will be cancelled for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter