Vero Beach Noseeums? Are they really THAT bad?

mommyoftwo08

Mouseketeer
We've got our first trip planned for Vero September 14th to the 17th. A quick trip to check out the resort before our 5 days at Jambo. Now that I've booked and been researching, I keep coming across noseeum complaints - how they are getting over 40 bites and then they get infected. My question is this - are they really that bad? For example, my 7 year gets a normal mosquito bite in my backyard and it welts and swells to a nickel size. He's not allergic (had him tested), but he just reacts to bugs. He doesn't complain, just itches it to make is ooze and keeps it for 2 weeks. I'm debating now whether or not to keep this reservation at Vero or just head to Disney for those 3 days. Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks.

I was there about 8 or so years ago and it seems early in the morning and evening the noseeums are out. I sprayed some off on me and seemed to work, but my wife didn't and she was lunch to those buggers. I always got up early in the morning and walked to the beach to watch the sun rise, not sun set, but sun rise. So beautiful.

We went in early May and had no problem whatsoever. I was prepared with bug juice and the Off Lanterns (we stayed in a Beach Cottage). Never used any of it. We even were out at night walking to and from the campfire and I was amazed. No bugs (other than Love Bugs during the day)! We were there for 4 days with 8 people. No one got bit... even sitting out on our balcony. I was grateful.

DO NOT cancel your trip to Vero! Yes, the no-see-ums can be bad, but bring bug spray and you will be FINE! We were there last August and noticed the bugs were bad as soon as the sun went down. We swore the next trip we would bring bug spray. We spent Memorial Day weekend there and came prepared with LOTS of bug spray, but this time....the bugs weren't as bad as last August! :thumbsup2

Regular bug spray or those with DEET do not work! Purchase some Avon's Skin So Soft in spray. They also have a bug spray that contains Skin So Soft. This is the only product we found to ward off the noseeums.

Regular bug spray or those with DEET do not work! Purchase some Avon's Skin So Soft in spray. They also have a bug spray that contains Skin So Soft. This is the only product we found to ward off the noseeums.
Statistically the Avon does work (my GM will turn over in her grave as a 30 year Avon Manager) but it seems to for a few people. Deet normally works but you've go to go up to at least 30% which is too strong for younger children. Deet also shouldn't normally be used with sunscreen, lowers the effectiveness of the sunscreen and the sunscreen increases the absorption of the Deet. More but light clothing is usually the best prevention. I'm thinking there's a height limit on them but not recalling what it is off hand. Regular mosquito netting or screen won't work but they do make finer mesh screens.

Our VB experience was the love bugs thick enough to cover the entire from of the door and close the pool completely. It was like a Hitchcock movie.

We've got our first trip planned for Vero September 14th to the 17th. A quick trip to check out the resort before our 5 days at Jambo. Now that I've booked and been researching, I keep coming across noseeum complaints - how they are getting over 40 bites and then they get infected. My question is this - are they really that bad? For example, my 7 year gets a normal mosquito bite in my backyard and it welts and swells to a nickel size. He's not allergic (had him tested), but he just reacts to bugs. He doesn't complain, just itches it to make is ooze and keeps it for 2 weeks. I'm debating now whether or not to keep this reservation at Vero or just head to Disney for those 3 days. Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks.

Don't cancel reservations we love Vero, yes the no se ums are there but your giving up a great experience especially if you like the beach. I would if I was you switch your vacation around and do Vero after Disney, it's so relaxing and a great way to end a great vacation(just a thought). We have been like 4 time different times and the bugs have been there I think every time but can deal with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter