Vero Beach and Love bugs

Lyndylou

Mouseketeer
We are going to Vero beach next year but not sure whether to go the week before or after our Disney cruise. The week before (11th-18th April) covers Easter weekend and points are obviously more than for the 25th april-1st May.
Seeing as we are looking at 3 ocean view rooms it adds up. My worry is....Are the love bugs out that last week in April or is it more into May?
We are headed to BWV for 4 weeks( in 5 weeks time YAY!! ) I'd love to just go for the Easter week but the way it is Id have to rent some points.
The love bugs may be the deciding factor though
All knowledge appreciated Thank you

They can come out any time from early April through mid June. There isn’t any way to predict when or how many will appear.

We went to vero beach this time of year a few years ago and there were lots of love bugs. They were the most bothersome at the pool.

Are they worse than the noseeums? Those things ate me alive last year. Bummer because Vero Beach is wonderful.

Are they worse than the noseeums? Those things ate me alive last year. Bummer because Vero Beach is wonderful.

Noseeums are right up there with mosquitos for me. Love bugs don’t bite (at least not me or my family.) They just like to land on everything and are annoying.

We went to vero beach this time of year a few years ago and there were lots of love bugs. They were the most bothersome at the pool.
Hi
Do you mean this time as in beginning may ? or April when i want to go
Thanks

The lovebugs "invasion" (increased flights) can start as early as the end of March but is most often to occur late April thru May. May and September are historically the most active months as their are two generations of lovebugs active!

They're active between 10 AM and 6 PM daily. and they love temperatures above 84 degrees and May marks mating season for the nuisance bugs. They mate for four weeks in May and again in September, according to the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences.

History: The bugs migrated from Central America and traveled through Texas and Louisiana before arriving in Florida within the last century.

Dave

So Floridians. Are we best to come 11th-18th April ( pre-cruise ) rather than 25 th - 1st may. ( post cruise ) Please someone make this decision for me.

They can come out any time from early April through mid June. There isn’t any way to predict when or how many will appear.
We are there at this time and so are they, it is a complete nuisance, seems they become more and more every year. To stay at the beach, I think,the best way to proceed is get you a mosquito net and put it over your beach chair or even better over your beach umbrella, and forget about sitting on your balcony.......

Currently at DIS VERO BEACH. Arrived on May 13,2019. The love bugs are the worst in 20 years. Swarmed. The pool was really not usable. There was no area to escape them. We have a beach cottage and spent a lot of time in it. Even the beach was swarmed. I’ve never seen anything like it. If I could’ve found a reasonable flight, I would’ve been out of here. We come here every year so we will survive but I feel sorry for people that are on once in a while trip. Kinda ruined.

As an update, I’m at Vero now, and we haven’t seen ANY love bugs. Hope that info is helpful for future planners.

We drove from the gulf coast across the state to Vero Beach this past weekend. The love bugs were horrible while driving, so much so that we took the car to a car wash in Vero when we arrived so we could see out the windshield. However, once we arrived at the resort we were never bothered or saw them at the pool or beach. They were not near as bad on the return drive home...As a Florida resident I wish I could tell you the better dates to travel, but Love Bugs arrive when they arrive and some years are better than others. This year was particularly bad with the sheer amount we saw...My gut says the April dates work better based on past experiences, but it really is unpredictable as to when they arrive and what our weather will be like a year out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter