Verizon on Castaway Cay

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
I understand that on Verizon Wireless plans, you can add International Coverage to your plan for $10/day/line. I assume this is based on your plan's data allotment and if you go over, you have to pay.

In my plan, as one of my "lines" I have a modem hotspot, to create my own WiFi. I am considering using this one modem to support my family for music/email while on Castaway Cay.

Does anyone see any reason why this shouldn't work? Music and email is not data demanding... even if it is, I have a number of GBs I usually roll over so I should have plenty of data for the month.

Thanks...

---Paul in Southern NJ

unless there's been a recent change there is no cellular service on CC except what you can get thru the ship's service (maritime satellite)

In my plan, as one of my "lines" I have a modem hotspot, to create my own WiFi. I am considering using this one modem to support my family for music/email while on Castaway Cay.

If you have an Iphone, you could try subscribing to Apple Music, before the cruise. You can then search for and download your music to your phone(s) beforehand. Music does not take up much space. I have hundreds of songs and they only take up a couple of gigs of space. This way you would not have to rely on WIFI or cellular for music while on the cruise.

Anyone know if Att works??
I have used my AT&T iPhone at CC for at least the last 1-2 years with no issues at all and as recent as the beginning of last month. Not only did it work just fine, it was full on LTE. :) To clarify - I was not using the ships wife and I always paid for International Data roaming so I could use my phone. AT&T has the same type of plan now that Verizon has where you pay $10 a day to be able to use your phone in International roaming areas and you use your own data allotment and was a piece of cake.

Heather

I just used the Verizon plan on CC a couple weeks ago and it worked fine.

I have used my AT&T iPhone at CC for at least the last 1-2 years with no issues at all and as recent as the beginning of last month. Not only did it work just fine, it was full on LTE. :) To clarify - I was not using the ships wife and I always paid for International Data roaming so I could use my phone. AT&T has the same type of plan now that Verizon has where you pay $10 a day to be able to use your phone in International roaming areas and you use your own data allotment and was a piece of cake.

Heather

When did the ship get married?

Sorry, I could not resist.

Heather
I'm excited about this. So will I just turn my phone on and turn off airplane mode and use as usual? Or do I have to turn something on?? Thanks

Must be a generational thing but high on the list of things to do on C.C. should be to; put the darn phone down and enjoy the island. If your email is better than the beach, you must get some great email. Just sayin'.

unless there's been a recent change there is no cellular service on CC except what you can get thru the ship's service (maritime satellite)
Cell service on CC is provided by BaTelCo (BTC) which most likely has roaming agreements with most (if not all) major US providers.

Back in 2009, we received a call from our vet giving us an update on our dogs knee surgery and that call showed on our at&t bill as roaming on BTC.

When did the ship get married?

Sorry, I could not resist.
HA HA - that's great!! Silly auto correct lol!!
I'm excited about this. So will I just turn my phone on and turn off airplane mode and use as usual? Or do I have to turn something on?? Thanks
You need to check with your phone carrier but no, you can't have on airplane mode if you are wanting to use the data. I keep mine on airplane mode when I'm on the ship and then once I needed to use my data on CC, I turned it off and connected to my own data. I did have to activate this feature with AT&T before I left and it works for 24 hours for the $10. Once it connects and see's you are roaming internationally, your 24 hours starts - that's how they explained them to me.

Heather

Last edited:
May I ask a favor of any that like to play their music to keep the volume down low, please? We all have different tastes in music and it can ruin a beach day by listening to someone's music blaring. We had that in MX this year and it really spoiled our trip.

I agree. Please don't play your music at Castaway. I enjoy the quiet of the island and we don't necessarily like the same music.

May I ask a favor of any that like to play their music to keep the volume down low, please? We all have different tastes in music and it can ruin a beach day by listening to someone's music blaring. We had that in MX this year and it really spoiled our trip.

You will never hear mine... I use headphones. Better for me (sound quality is better for me) and better for you (lack of sound, regardless of quality :))

---Paul in Southern NJ

I had no idea that LTE was available on CC, that is awesome. Will be there in a few weeks, twice. I can tell you that the WiFi I purchased on the ship also works in the cabanas on CC, and it worked great.

Last edited:
I had no idea that LTE was available on CC, that is awesome. Will they that in a few weeks, twice. I can tell you that the WiFi I purchased on the ship also works in the cabanas on CC, and it worked great.

But the Cruise Ship WiFi is far more expensive than $10/day on your regular plan.

I figure, since I have a modem hotspot on my plan, my whole family can use the "1" line and I only have to spend the line charge once.

---Paul in Southern NJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter