• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Venting…dentist office stuff.

I'm lucky if the doctors, dentist, eye doc's office's can even get our names rights, and who's on the insurance..Sooo the order for me at least is not as important as the coverage for the visit.

I totally understand why the OP is unhappy with the way they set up their business practice, and if she wants to be first they should accommodate her and rightfully so since she is the person that carry's the insurance.

If it is that upsetting you should just change dentist, and move on... It's really not worth it to get upset over something that you can not change. They are lots of professional out there, you should be able to find one that has moved into this century.

It sounds like they don't care about your comfort and make things complicated for their clients.

200.gif

First world problems.

Seriously, this would not bother me a bit -- semi-strangers, whom I see 2-3 times a year, didn't write our names in my preferred order. If you feel differently, vote with your dollar and go elsewhere.

I was 36 when we got married in 1993 and I kept my own name. I like it, it's unique, and there aren't too many of us left (and also if I'd taken DH's last name, my FIL and I would have the same name, same spelling. NOPE.). I had my own credit history, credit cards, publications, professional credentials and affiliations. I was also the primary wage earner and the credit check for our first house was done on my credit. They mortgage company STILL put his name first. He isn't the person who qualified us for that mortgage, but he was listed first- and they listed ME with HIS last name.

I went to the dentist today for some work (as opposed to a cleaning). I’m not fond of this office, been a patient for ~2 years, since our previous dentist retired. DH also goes to this dentist. For what it is worth, we are both on my insurance.

They got a new computer system recently. The receipt I got today clear listed DH as the account holder and our address in the header info.

i was merely listed as a patient. First name only. (DH and I have different last names.)

They gave me two different reasons why…1st was-oh, you must be on your husband’s insurance. Umm No, we are on my insurance. The other explanation they gave me was my DH is considered by them to be the head of the household. This explanation did not fly with me either, as this is 2022, not 1952..

I asked then about having a separate account, and…that is harder for us to handle, since both of us are on the same insurance.

Might be time for a different dentist. I’m not overly happy about staying, but finding a new dentist is also frustrating.

thanks for listening to me vent!
Mine does the same. They screw up the billing all the time and text him for my bills. Drives me nuts.

Are you also a tax professional? Use professional tax software to prepare tax returns? Review coworkers work to double check for accuracy, properly allocated deductions and/or credits based on their situation and forms required? Have your work reviewed for those same properly allocated deductions and/or credits, accuracy and correct forms based on each tax returns filings?
I'm sorry I missed this come in during the original scrum.
I am not a tax professional. I do however write Machine Learning Algorithms, and my first marketable one is most often used to identify incorrect or improperly entered data in large financial databases. I have certifications granted by Wolters Kluwer to integrate with CCH, Intuit for their Lacerte and ProConnect products, and TaxAct's professional prep services. I spent a year onsite at Drake in N. Carolina.

I would argue that to understand how to identify errors in a financial statement, one must understand how to make those entries correctly, and I have testified in court as an expert witness in financial reporting.

We finally have the specialized neural processor hardware available cheaply (look at the new Apple M1/2 chipset) to allow software written by people like me to correct the errors created by practices like yours; and all of the major accounting houses are using it. PWC used a software with my algorithm on their own records AFTER an internal audit of them and STILL discovered a 1% (ish) error rate because the new software processes every record instead of block sampling.

Businesses that ran their books like you suggest are the reason I have lived on residuals for the last 8 years or so basically just finding hobbies to occupy my time.

As an unrelated sidenote... I also worked on a similar project to identify errors on handwritten medical charts and errors in the transcription of those charts to digital records for a chain of hospitals. I would encourage everyone to ask for a chart review with the nurse at the time of being discharged (don't be one of those ppl who insists on seeing their chart while receiving treatment, that's not what it's for).

Apparently either.
Yes and no.
In all of its usages, "female" is a descriptor or a differentiator. So while saying "I prefer bridges to tunnels." tells you each of the specific things you are comparing, saying "I prefer females to males." doesn't. One must either assume or infer from context the actual meaning of that statement which is, "I prefer female humans to male humans.", or "I prefer female dogs to male dogs." It would be absurd to assume that the speaker has a preference for the female of everything that exhibits biological sex and yet that's the only conclusion one could draw from that first statement by itself.

At best, "female" is a noun-fragment that can be used when the remainder of the phrase is made clear in some other way, usually in a scientific or medical context.

It would be impolite to start a conversation about your love of woodies or steelies without establishing that you are talking about roller coasters first. And really, just say steel coasters; it's less weird.

It's also notable that the bar is pretty low at M-W for what is a word. If you use a word in one way and people understand what you mean, then it's a word. Like copypasta (new in 2022). And that's fine. But using a descriptive term as a noun is always going to require the buy-in of the listener (they have to mentally complete the phrase you are intending) and if your listener is someone who finds reducing a person to the distinction of their sex-organs insulting you may find them less apt to enjoy carrying your linguistic burden.

Last edited:
We keep getting a bill from my podiatrist for care that I received. I was the patient. DH hasn't been seen by this practice in years and I carry the health insurance... but the bills keep coming addressed to DH. It is driving DH crazy.

It is about time he comes out on the short end since he loves to tease me that all of the houses show his name listed first even though I am always the one who finds the house, secures financing etc. Even a piece of land that i bought for cash... I asked the attorney to add his name so he wouldn't have to probate it if I died first ended up deeded to his name first and me second.

Yeah, buddy, you go ahead and pay that doctor bill.

I'm sorry I missed this come in during the original scrum.
I am not a tax professional.

I had to go back and read what this was about. Once I was able to put this into context, that's all I was asking (the above quote), so thank you for answering my question.

Yes and no.
In all of its usages, "female" is a descriptor or a differentiator. So while saying "I prefer bridges to tunnels." tells you each of the specific things you are comparing, saying "I prefer females to males." doesn't. One must either assume or infer from context the actual meaning of that statement which is, "I prefer female humans to male humans.", or "I prefer female dogs to male dogs." It would be absurd to assume that the speaker has a preference for the female of everything that exhibits biological sex and yet that's the only conclusion one could draw from that first statement by itself.

At best, "female" is a noun-fragment that can be used when the remainder of the phrase is made clear in some other way, usually in a scientific or medical context.

It would be impolite to start a conversation about your love of woodies or steelies without establishing that you are talking about roller coasters first. And really, just say steel coasters; it's less weird.

It's also notable that the bar is pretty low at M-W for what is a word. If you use a word in one way and people understand what you mean, then it's a word. Like copypasta (new in 2022). And that's fine. But using a descriptive term as a noun is always going to require the buy-in of the listener (they have to mentally complete the phrase you are intending) and if your listener is someone who finds reducing a person to the distinction of their sex-organs insulting you may find them less apt to enjoy carrying your linguistic burden.
Ok :confused3 :confused:

I had to go back and read what this was about. Once I was able to put this into context, that's all I was asking (the above quote), so thank you for answering my question.
You actually asked 4ish questions…
  1. Are you also a tax professional?
  2. Use professional tax software to prepare tax returns?
  3. Review coworkers work to double check for accuracy, properly allocated deductions and/or credits based on their situation and forms required?
  4. Have your work reviewed for those same properly allocated deductions and/or credits, accuracy and correct forms based on each tax returns filings?
My answers are…
  1. Not yet, I sit for the last part of my CPA this spring, but I will never work in the field because it doesn’t pay enough for the effort.
  2. Yes, extensively, to create ML models.
  3. I review the work of your peers and their coworkers for all of those things and find them better than you do. Every time. Like vacuum your floor a hundred times, then the guy with the dysen shows up and pulls a pound of dirt out of your den carpet. I’m the dysen guy.
  4. My output reports are challenged and audited by Deloitte, PWC, E&Y, Grant, Lily, BDO, and RSM Tenon will be buying me an office and shop in China to head development of intigration protocols.
My algorithm finds 90+ errors in the first pass. That takes an afternoon to Audit 250,000 10 year records… so…. 2.5 million returns.

Why so confused. This one is easy. Even though M-W says female can be used as a noun, its wrong. Or it’s right in a way that won’t help.

When you announce that you got some females coming over you haven’t actually told us what’s coming, only that whatever shows will have or have had ovaraied

You actually asked 4ish questions…

My answers are…
  1. Not yet, I sit for the last part of my CPA this spring, but I will never work in the field because it doesn’t pay enough for the effort.
  2. Yes, extensively, to create ML models.
  3. I review the work of your peers and their coworkers for all of those things and find them better than you do. Every time. Like vacuum your floor a hundred times, then the guy with the dysen shows up and pulls a pound of dirt out of your den carpet. I’m the dysen guy.
  4. My output reports are challenged and audited by Deloitte, PWC, E&Y, Grant, Lily, BDO, and RSM Tenon will be buying me an office and shop in China to head development of intigration protocols.
My algorithm finds 90+ errors in the first pass. That takes an afternoon to Audit 250,000 10 year records… so…. 2.5 million returns.

My original question was if you were a tax professional, using professional tax software and manually reviewing tax returns specific to tax law, rules and regulations. Based on your resume and credentials you shared, sounds like you're more of a software programmer/developer. That's great! Unfortunately your programs are only as good as the data input. If the data entered is done so incorrectly, it won't be recognized by any software. Example; taxpayer and spouse each have 2 different W2 forms. If three are reported as taxpayer and one as the spouse, there's a chance credits and/or deductions will be lost if there are limits per person based on earnings. Your software will calculate tax, credits, deductions based on that data entered, not know it's wrong or improperly allocated to taxpayer/spouse. So, getting back to my original replies and posts within this thread, that's what my point was as to keeping things uniform between labeling husband/wife as taxpayer/spouse.

Your Dysen vacuum isn't doing any good if it's put in the wrong room to clean.

Unfortunately your programs are only as good as the data input. If the data entered is done so incorrectly, it won't be recognized by any software.
That’s not exactly a complete picture. Using AI and Machine Learning, computers can analyze data sets after being shown a relatively small number of known good models. These algorithm then self learn the process of collecting and inputting the data into the correct form fields and when given a large data set of completed paperwork complete the job of auditing every single page of every single record with accuracy close to that of a top firm like PWC and working about 200x the speed.

Example; taxpayer and spouse each have 2 different W2 forms. If three are reported as taxpayer and one as the spouse, there's a chance credits and/or deductions will be lost if there are limits per person based on earnings. Your software will calculate tax, credits, deductions based on that data entered, not know it's wrong or improperly allocated to taxpayer/spouse
During the ML training of the model errors like this arise. It takes about 6 man hours to train the model further for each potentially. But once the possible mistype mistakes begin to have elements that overlap or share common causes the gan takes over and the computer is able to teach itself how to catch those errors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter