Velocicoaster made me feel young!

Westerner

Mouseketeer
I haven't done any megacoasters since I was a teenager over 30 years ago and I was kinda feeling iffy about our trip to Universal last week with all the coasters they have. First two days I stuck to the simulator rides. I have no trouble with HPFJ or Gringott's but things like Hulk, RRR and Velocicoaster make me bawk bawk bawk. Never had anything like that when I was a kid, eh. Did all the researech ahead of time on how scary they were and felt they were probably too much for me but that I could handle Hagrids so that's where I started.

Did that Hagrids a couple times and the sidecar hurt my back from being all scrunched in, but the motorbike was ok because I could lean forward and hold the handlebars to brace against the motion. The ride didn't really push my limits once I got used to all the launches. So DD (20) starts trying to talk me into Velocicoaster. I do the research, read about the negative G's, the smoothness, and how it's extremely intense but different from most coasters. I check the ride injury history - none reported. So last day I take a dramamine (they give them out at First Aid btw) and decide to maybe give it a try after Hagrids. We get in line for Velocicoaster. Wait 20 mins and it starts to rain. 30 minute rain delay which turned out to be a good thing because after waiting that long in line there's no way I'm backing out. Almost chickened out at front of line but DD holds my hand and says it'll be ok Dad. Yeah right kid!

I step in and pull the lap bar restraint down. TM comes and wedges it in harder. I'm not going anywhere. No escape now. They start the ride and it takes us into the Raptor paddock. Can't get away. I remember what my best friend told me as a teenager when I was still doing these things - scream! it helps to let out the fear...

LAUNCH! WTH! OMG twist away I'm falling out of my seat! ahhhhh! ahhhhh! loop twist inversion.
2ND LAUNCH! we're over the speed limit! ahhhhh climb straight up, top hat straight dowwwwwwwnnnnn ahhhhhh! inversion hang upside down. waaaaaaa! twist turn barrel roll over the water! AHHHHHH

Oh it's over. Why is everyone looking at me funny! I wasn't screaming that loud was I? DD looks over and says, are you ok Dad? And I reply with what she said to me when I took her on Tower of Terror when she was 4 years old: Again, Again!

Then we did it again. 8-)

Took me back to how I felt as a teenager.... What a ride can't wait to go back!

Last edited:
Dh and I both loved it!!! It was awesome!!!! I was a little scared - as the last time I rode a big coaster ( Dueling Dragons) I got extremely motion sick and was moaning with Moaning Myrtle in the bathroom in Hogesmead :rotfl: .

I made sure that I did our Universal day differently and be proactive...and take the gravol/dramamine well before we hit the park and during the day to make sure I don't get motion sick.

Both dh and I loved it!!!! It is soooooooo fast and over so quick you don't really have time to process what you just flew through on the tracks. I can't wait to go back and ride it again with our kids!!!!

Dh and I both loved it!!! It was awesome!!!! I was a little scared - as the last time I rode a big coaster ( Dueling Dragons) I got extremely motion sick and was moaning with Moaning Myrtle in the bathroom in Hogesmead :rotfl: .

I made sure that I did our Universal day differently and be proactive...and take the gravol/dramamine well before we hit the park and during the day to make sure I don't get motion sick.

Both dh and I loved it!!!! It is soooooooo fast and over so quick you don't really have time to process what you just flew through on the tracks. I can't wait to go back and ride it again with our kids!!!!

I‘m so glad you posted! Dueling Dragons made me sick sick too and I skipped VC last trip because if it. Been trying to get my courage up for my next trip in May. I’m going to to give it a whirl!! Figure I’ll try it at night so it won’t ruin my day if I feel off after.

Agree!!!! Finally got up the guts to try it this week. So awesome!!! I’m not a huge coaster person, but I really enjoy it when they’re smooth. That last flip over the water and that acceleration to the top are incredible. Fir coasters, liked it more than Hagrids..

Agree!!!! Finally got up the guts to try it this week. So awesome!!! I’m not a huge coaster person, but I really enjoy it when they’re smooth. That last flip over the water and that acceleration to the top are incredible. Fir coasters, liked it more than Hagrids..
I liked Hagrids better. Funny unlike the OP, velicocoaster made me feel my age. My teens loved it. My husband and I both got off stating were too old for this.:tongue:

I liked Hagrids better. Funny unlike the OP, velicocoaster made me feel my age. My teens loved it. My husband and I both got off stating were too old for this.:tongue:
Well Hagrids has better theming undeniably. Hear it's great at night. For Velocicoaster I'd taken a dramamine, perhaps that was a factor. I did 2x Velocicoaster but after the 2nd I had enough. Until next time of course :)

:) I got my DH (age 67) on it once. I (age 59) went on multiple times. Love it! The whole Universal park system makes me feel young!

Same here. I loved it but I definitely felt it in my lower back!! My son wanted to do it again but I said we’d have to wait until next trip. Hulk didn’t bother me nearly as much.

Ahh that brought tears to my eyes reading your post and I couldn't agree more.

I prolapsed a cervical vertebrae last year so on our recent trip was just more careful with coasters, avoiding the ones I know throw me around (RRR) as don't want to go through that pain again, Velocicoaster is not only smooth, it's AMAZING!!!

I can't wait to be back in the US in July and get on it again, this time with my adult DS & DD as our recent trip was just me & DH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter