VDH Opening

We’re west coast based (not local) with passes. We typically do 3-4 trips a year to DLR. Two long and two short. Long 6-8 days, short 3-4 days. We like to take a more leisurely approach to the parks, with mid day breaks back at the hotel for the pool or a nap. We’ve definitely done the "do everything in 2-3 days", but find we’re exhausted on return home. Gives us adequate time to do plenty of shopping, eating, catching all the shows, etc without feeling pressured to cram it all in. We’re probably a rarity in that regard. We bought enough VDH points by to continue doing this.

Last edited:
We’re west coast based (not local) with passes. We typically do 3-4 trips a year to DLR. Two long and two short. Long 6-8 days, short 3-4 days. We like to take a more leisurely approach to the parks, with mid day breaks back at the hotel for the pool or a nap. We’ve definitely done the do everything in 2-3 days, but find we’re exhausted on return home. Gives us adequate time to do plenty of shopping, eating, catching all the shows, etc without feeling pressured to cram it all in. We’re probably a rarity in that regard. We bought of VDH points by to continue doing this.
This is exactly us, so I don't think it's that rare. I find that by day 7 we're all ready to leave even at the slower pace so we stay a little closer to 4 evenly divided 5-6-night trips. One for the Halloween season, one for the holidays, the other 2 variable. Honestly if you go every 3-4 months there's enough changing that it feels fresh. We've stuck to VGC so far, but... Checking in tomorrow. We'll see if I can stand up to the week of temptation.

This is exactly us, so I don't think it's that rare. I find that by day 7 we're all ready to leave even at the slower pace so we stay a little closer to 4 evenly divided 5-6-night trips. One for the Halloween season, one for the holidays, the other 2 variable. Honestly if you go every 3-4 months there's enough changing that it feels fresh. We've stuck to VGC so far, but... Checking in tomorrow. We'll see if I can stand up to the week of temptation.
Same here! Halloween, the holidays, usually like to hit the spring food & wine festival in CA, and then squeeze in another trip somewhere.

We’re west coast based (not local) with passes. We typically do 3-4 trips a year to DLR. Two long and two short. Long 6-8 days, short 3-4 days. We like to take a more leisurely approach to the parks, with mid day breaks back at the hotel for the pool or a nap. We’ve definitely done the "do everything in 2-3 days", but find we’re exhausted on return home. Gives us adequate time to do plenty of shopping, eating, catching all the shows, etc without feeling pressured to cram it all in. We’re probably a rarity in that regard. We bought enough VDH points by to continue doing this.
That sounds like us too. We’ll do around 3-4 trips a year and usually stay a week at a time. With little ones we take it pretty easy and a lot of time gets spent on breaks/snacks/bathroom. If we were only there for a few days I don’t think we’d get much done. I also usually go to Tenaya at least once and sometimes I’ll do one of their fitness classes.

When we only had our oldest we used to do weekend trips, but now I feel like it’s way too much work for us to drive down just for the weekend. A week allows us to visit the parks as well as see local family. It’s great for our kids to just roam around Redwood Creek for a couple hours or try to meet characters in Avengers campus, and not feel pressure about rushing to the next attraction.

Currently still waiting for my VGC resale points to show up and feeling very glad to have gotten a contract before everything went nuts… but VDH is also still calling my name. Part of me thinks we have enough points, but part of me thinks I’d regret not buying more points at a DLR home resort.

Same here! Halloween, the holidays, usually like to hit the spring food & wine festival in CA, and then squeeze in another trip somewhere.
Hoping to hit the DCA F&W festival and the Knott's Boysenberry festival next March for our first VDH stay. We don't usually do the holidays/festivals, because of timing. I did do Oogie Boogie last year, but that was during the D23 Expo. Here's to more DLR visits!

Yep! The last few weeks have been crazy. High prices and contracts going fast. We had our offer accepted in March for $235 a point. I'm grateful for that because we had considered waiting a while. So glad we didn't!
That’s awesome! Great timing on your part! Good thing you didn’t wait. At this point, I can’t see prices going near that low again.

We’ve never been disappointed with the food at the festivals, it’s always really good. The lines can get crazy long though especially around lunch time, and the lines for garlic kissed booth are the worst. They often put in a snaking line que there.

Hey does anybody have any preference on first class United or Delta from LAX (on points, same price)? My fingers are very crossed that I will be able to snag 3 nights at the end of January at VDH with my SSR points. If that doesn't work I will shoot for VGC. Final runner up is the Westin.

I thought maybe DH's surprise anniversary trip to Mexico needed a layover in Disneyland for a few days :teeth:

Hey does anybody have any preference on first class United or Delta from LAX (on points, same price)? My fingers are very crossed that I will be able to snag 3 nights at the end of January at VDH with my SSR points. If that doesn't work I will shoot for VGC. Final runner up is the Westin.

I thought maybe DH's surprise anniversary trip to Mexico needed a layover in Disneyland for a few days :teeth:
I won't even fly United when someone else is paying. I think they have terrible service, and if we're talking specifically about LAX, the Delta terminal is brand new with an absolutely amazing Sky Club, whereas United is wallowing in a 40 year old hulk of an outdated dump.

I won't even fly United when someone else is paying. I think they have terrible service, and if we're talking specifically about LAX, the Delta terminal is brand new with an absolutely amazing Sky Club, whereas United is wallowing in a 40 year old hulk of an outdated dump.
I actually really liked the Polaris lounge.

Well good. I was leaning Delta because about 8 years ago I swore I wouldn't step foot on another United flight after they changed planes and split up our 3 and 7 year old to random middle seats coming home from WDW. This was in the free seat days but we did have our family together and no joke, the kids were on their own in the front half of the plane--none of the 4 of us were together. Repeated customer service calls before the flight took us to non-english speaking reps who did nothing but tell us to ask the gate agents.

Well good. I was leaning Delta because about 8 years ago I swore I wouldn't step foot on another United flight after they changed planes and split up our 3 and 7 year old to random middle seats coming home from WDW. This was in the free seat days but we did have our family together and no joke, the kids were on their own in the front half of the plane--none of the 4 of us were together. Repeated customer service calls before the flight took us to non-english speaking reps who did nothing but tell us to ask the gate agents.
I can't believe the people sitting next to the kids didn't move to be away from them. I have a kid, and I would have moved in a heartbeat :rotfl2: I don't want to sit next to some stranger's kid by itself. My son had to sit in the middle once, but he was 10. It wasn't as big of a deal. The guys sitting on either side lucked out, because he's always been skinny and doesn't take up much room.

I much prefer Delta to United.
My two favorite airlines are Delta and Alaska.

ETA: For several years, any time I flew United through Denver, my luggage would miss the flight on one of the round trip legs. Fortunately, I always got it back, but I had essentially memorized their claim form. Oddly, my dad had the same experience, although my mother and brother never have. :confused3

I can't believe the people sitting next to the kids didn't move to be away from them. I have a kid, and I would have moved in a heartbeat :rotfl2: I don't want to sit next to some stranger's kid by itself. My son had to sit in the middle once, but he was 10. It wasn't as big of a deal. The guys sitting on either side lucked out, because he's always been skinny and doesn't take up much room.
We did make it work on our own with us each taking a kid and doing some swaps with passengers but the principal of United helping none made me eternally bitter. Not to mention the seat I did manage to get with DD3 was the last row middle and window next to a very large woman....it made for a long flight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter