VDH Opening

I agree with you on that. If you want to get the Duo Studios you will need that 11 month window. Pointwise, a fantastic value. Very niche though. It’ll basically be 2 adults no kids or solo travelers.

The true value really can’t be evaluated without time. I can see that if you base your decision now on how scarce the Grand Californian is, how expensive it is to own now, you will justify buying Disneyland DVC on the fear of missing out. And if the maintenance fees barely increase for the next, say 5 years, it’ll be a good value.

But Im betting once the fomo buyers have purchased, there wont be as much interest as Disney thinks, and resale will have a sizable amount of contracts at a great value. Especially if the owners see the MFs increase in line with other DVCs or more.

I think for those that have itchy trigger fingers (most DVC owners such as myself do), I would put my excitement and attention on Fort Wilderness or Polys new tower with incentives, use those points at studios for a year or 2 At Disneyland, feel out the market, then sell it to purchase Disneyland resale. I think that would be the smart way to go.

Sell the contract at FW or Poly 2 after a year or 2? I would think just buy more 😂

Yup. Yorba Linda here. For business, if I'm flying within CA or just over to Vegas or Phoenix, it's SNA 100% of the time. If I'm headed to Texas or Florida, it's LAX. Plus, there are a ton more lounges at LAX... LOL.

Have you tried the LAX parking app? You can get serious discounts on parking using the app (like up to 50% off). It makes parking in P2 or P3 (I prefer Delta) actually reasonable versus long-term parking and the extra time required.

LAX Parking

View attachment 755492
My receipt for 5 days in P2, directly across from the Delta terminal.
Is this because you used the app or you booked closer to the fly date or early? I just booked a 3 day for P2B and it’s like $133.

There most likely won’t be any 2022 points for VDH. It didn’t exist in 2022 so the first set for all UYs will be 2023.

Dues for 2023 will be prorated from the date of opening or start of UY, whichever is later.

If someone with an Oct UY or Dec Uy wants to go in Sept, they’d have to borrow the points.

I have an Oct use year and asked my guide this specific question. I will not get 2022 points.

So of the next two trips I have planned for Disneyland, my family would want to stay in a 2 bedroom. This would be around $800 for the taxes alone per trip. I know there is arguments for both sides, but would you be willing to pay this amount to stay on top of the points needed? Just getting any opinions to share as my family thinks I am crazy for wanting to do this

So of the next two trips I have planned for Disneyland, my family would want to stay in a 2 bedroom. This would be around $800 for the taxes alone per trip. I know there is arguments for both sides, but would you be willing to pay this amount to stay on top of the points needed? Just getting any opinions to share as my family thinks I am crazy for wanting to do this
It does seem crazy on initial thought… But take a look at how much it would cost to pay cash. Also take into consideration on how much you like staying in the bubble. For me - I did my time walking harbor blvd and I’m over it - never going back. So I’m still in with VDH.

And yes dues\taxes will continue to rise, but you’re hedging against inflation on the base room rate with your points so that price delta will continue to widen. As with every other DVC purchase I’m sure most people a few years down the road will think “I wish I would’ve done this sooner”\”Wish I would’ve bought more points” etc etc.

Discuss what the alternate lodging would be and compare. That should help you decide.

I was wondering if we should do a fixed week too. We stay in 1BR or 2BRs and not studios. They are so few in number but maybe 11 month availability will be ok? On the other hand, will we need to stay for a full week? Decisions, decisions.

I was wondering if we should do a fixed week too. We stay in 1BR or 2BRs and not studios. They are so few in number but maybe 11 month availability will be ok? On the other hand, will we need to stay for a full week? Decisions, decisions.
We most likely won't always use the fixed week either and will end up banking and borrowing for a bit while our kids are still able to come with us. Long term though when the kids have flown the coop the Duo will be perfect for just the two of us. Its also a hedge for resale as it will be more attractive to have a guaranteed week when thats the only place you can use the points at. I like first week of October to see all the fall and Halloween decorations at DL.

$800 in taxes vs the cash outlay for a 2 bedroom? It’s a no brainer for us, especially since we take multiple trips a year and stay in 1 or 2 bedrooms at DLH.
If you are going to compare it to a cash stay, be honest, its not just $800 you are paying for a 1-2 bedroom DVC yearly. You are looking at 290 points. Just your yearly maintenance fees on those points is $2627.

That means you are spending $3427 annually WITHOUT parking and the buy in amount VS a cash stay.

Its a no brainer to me too.

Again, the math doesn’t add up to me in value/savings. But if you want to stay there, without regard to it’s savings, thats all the reasoning thats needed to buy in.

At the end of the day, as Disney resort fans, when you are in that Disney room, it feels damn good.
Despite the fees/pricing I’m still considering VDH. There are so few 1BR/2BR villas there that I think the 11 month window will matter, and we need those as a family of 5. We’ve stayed at plenty of hotels on Harbor and also the Westin, but there is just something special about staying on DLR property and although different from WDW, the bubble still exists, at least for us. These last few years, we’ve been staying at VGC for 3-4 weeks a year, which hasn’t been the easiest to accomplish since all our points are at WDW home resorts. I finally gave in and we actually have a VGC resale in the process of closing right now, but it won’t be enough points for the stays we want, and I’d still need to book at 7 months. A VDH contract would help accomplish that, and I just don’t see us buying any more points at WDW resorts since we already have 5 home resorts there. I’d rather buy VDH direct and not resale since I could still try to switch to VGC at 7 months if I wanted to, but if I can’t switch I’d still be on property. I’m going to wait and see how the incentives are, what happens with parking, and then do some calculations before deciding.
Makes sense. If you want to stay in the 1 or 2 bedroom, definitely need to own there or do a cash stay. Wait and see is the right approach if you are considering the financial side of it.

We don't park at the hotel, we fly in and shuttle over. Parking not an issue. Everyones financial situation is different..I don't presume to know yours, you shouldn't presume to know ours. Again, we're dropping cash at DLH 15-20 days a year in a 1 or 2 bedroom. We've done all the spread sheets....It'll pay for itself before the kids are driving. We've factored in maintenance, taxes, etc....we're looking at above 300 spread out over several 100 point contracts for ease of selling 15-20 years from now when we're empty nesters. We've already got 500+ at Aulani that we use for annual trips in a 2 bedroom.

At the end of the day, as Disney resort fans, when you are in that Disney room, it feels damn good.
You got that right! Favorite part of my vacation is walking into the DLH to check in and then entering our room for the first time. Now its even more magical with my toddler entering in and watching him run around and explore.

Least favorite is leaving and getting the bill (I charge all purchases to the room to get the hotel multiplier on the credit card). I am sure like everyone else here, it is a very very very large number

You got that right! Favorite part of my vacation is walking into the DLH to check in and then entering our room for the first time. Now its even more magical with my toddler entering in and watching him run around and explore.

Least favorite is leaving and getting the bill (I charge all purchases to the room to get the hotel multiplier on the credit card). I am sure like everyone else here, it is a very very very large number
Maybe they should figure a way we can pay it before we check-in. Does Aulani allow this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter