VDH Opening

Do you have direct points? So maybe you do only get a guide "assigned" if you're a direct owner, and otherwise you just get on the mailing list. Then if you add-on, you'd get someone assigned at that point.
I have no direct points yet. Interesting that some resale only have guides assigned and some do not.

Pretty sure i asked recently & either direct or resale can get add-on points, just that financing is minimum of 50, where if you were paying cash you could get 25 minimum. (but that may change for VDH)

Yea new members gotta buy 150 min, current owners min buy is 25 or 50 depending on resort buying.

Resale only owners count as members for add ons too.

Theres a tool on the DVC website where you can add on from as well.

No, DVC will happily sell add-on points at direct prices to resale owners.

Interesting. I've never researched what exactly the add-on points are since I assumed it was a direct only thing. I'll have to look it up. But I'm assuming I can't add on VGC points at all since they are sold out.

Interesting. I've never researched what exactly the add-on points are since I assumed it was a direct only thing. I'll have to look it up. But I'm assuming I can't add on VGC points at all since they are sold out.
There's not really anything to look up, it's just the act of adding on more points, but that just means buying a new contract. The one difference is that if you're already a member of any variety, you can add smaller contracts as you're not subject to the 150 pt minimum purchase requirement.

There's not really anything to look up, it's just the act of adding on more points, but that just means buying a new contract. The one difference is that if you're already a member of any variety, you can add smaller contracts as you're not subject to the 150 pt minimum purchase requirement.

Yeah, I think if we wanted to get a small contract for a WDW resort, we'd just do resale. Not sure what we'll do if we find we need more VGC points down the road.

Yeah, I think if we wanted to get a small contract for a WDW resort, we'd just do resale. Not sure what we'll do if we find we need more VGC points down the road.
Small contracts are often almost as expensive as whatever is currently in active sales direct (maybe not right now with the market glut) so look at both options at the time of you decide to do it since it is easier and they can match your UY.

If you need more VGC down the road, you'd just have to find another resale contract.

If you need more VGC down the road, you'd just have to find another resale contract.
Yes, just buy another resale contract. easy peasy, just more expensive per point for small contracts... but you never know these days.!!

I am a resale owner but I have a guide. I believe my guide was assigned to me when I did a DVC virtual tour (for that $25 gift card) and then we bought resale after maybe a year. Every time I talked to a DVC guide on a disney cruise or chatted on DVC website for questions for add-on, they look up who my guide is and it turned out to be the first guide I did the virtual tour on the phone with.

Small contracts are often almost as expensive as whatever is currently in active sales direct (maybe not right now with the market glut) so look at both options at the time of you decide to do it since it is easier and they can match your UY.

Yes, just buy another resale contract. easy peasy, just more expensive per point for small contracts... but you never know these days.!!

So if we wanted to, down the road, we could add something like 50 pts (direct) from a different resort like VDH or one of the WDW resorts?

But if we wanted a different UY (which we would if we ever wanted points at a WDW resort), would we likely need to buy the larger minimum of 150pts? Or can add on the lower amount with a different UY?

So if we wanted to, down the road, we could add something like 50 pts (direct) from a different resort like VDH or one of the WDW resorts?

But if we wanted a different UY (which we would if we ever wanted points at a WDW resort), would we likely need to buy the larger minimum of 150pts? Or can add on the lower amount with a different UY?
You can buy into a different UY and get small contract below 150 pts. Your guide will advise against it, but you can push through. It will create a different membership with a separate login, but that's only bothersome if you're trying to combine points between memberships, which I think you usually wouldn't.

Note that you still wouldn't qualify for membership extras like Moonlight Magic, though, if you bought under 150 pts direct.

You can buy into a different UY and get small contract below 150 pts. Your guide will advise against it, but you can push through. It will create a different membership with a separate login, but that's only bothersome if you're trying to combine points between memberships, which I think you usually wouldn't.

Note that you still wouldn't qualify for membership extras like Moonlight Magic, though, if you bought under 150 pts direct.

Thanks for the info. If my son loves WDW when we eventually go...I could see us getting a small contract to bank/borrow for trips every couple years. But since we'd pretty much only go in January/February I wouldn't want a June UY like we're getting for VGC. I don't think I'd combine points anyway. Bummer about the membership extras but not a deal breaker for us.

Are you currently DVC? If so you probably got a promotional email yesterday with the subject “You can still save up to $1,950!”
At the bottom it has your guide listed with their contact info. At least that’s the case for me. If you’re not DVC yet, Welcome Home in advance :).
Never even noticed that… And my guide has their CA license number listed sooo lets just go ahead and sell me some points right?

My understanding is that this is not possible. A new UY is a new and separate membership and will have to be a minimum of 150 points.

My understanding is that this is not possible. A new UY is a new and separate membership and will have to be a minimum of 150 points.
I also believe you are correct. If the UY has not been established and you want to buy direct to establish it, it must be a new master contract at 150 points. The workaround is to buy a resale contract in the UY you desire. Once it's established that way, you can adhere to the add-on minimums (25-50). I'm not 100% certain this is the case, so if someone knows differently please correct me.

Never even noticed that… And my guide has their CA license number listed sooo lets just go ahead and sell me some points right?
4 of our 5 contracts are direct and I've never heard of our guide. I noticed it said "Your designated Disney Vacation Club Guide may change, based on state licensing regulations." My guide doesn't list a CA license so I'm guessing he doesn't have one?? So strange bc our first contract was VGC back in 2009 - you'd think they'd give us a CA guide.

I also believe you are correct. If the UY has not been established and you want to buy direct to establish it, it must be a new master contract at 150 points. The workaround is to buy a resale contract in the UY you desire. Once it's established that way, you can adhere to the add-on minimums (25-50). I'm not 100% certain this is the case, so if someone knows differently please correct me.
That makes sense, you cant “add-on” to a UY that doesn’t exist.

That makes sense, you cant “add-on” to a UY that doesn’t exist.
Yeah, that makes sense. It creates a new membership so probably can't do a small contract with a new UY, then.

But I know that they do allow existing member pricing/incentives even when choosing a new UY so I thought they could allow smaller add-ons with different UYs as well.

Last edited:

A minor point, but we have contracts in two different UYs and while the membership numbers are different, we do have a single login. Whenever the website needs to know which of the two memberships we want to specify, it creates a drop-down menu where we can pick either of the two memberships.

A minor point, but we have contracts in two different UYs and while the membership numbers are different, we do have a single login. Whenever the website needs to know which of the two memberships we want to specify, it creates a drop-down menu where we can pick either of the two memberships.
Oh, that's great to know. Was it always that way? I had been told wrong! We'll likely purchase VDH but in a different UY. Makes sense that login would be the same, now that I think of it, since it's just your Disney account.

Reactions: ehh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter