Various questions

alizesmom

Dreaming of Disney.
Several things that I’m hoping one of you may have solved.
1) we’re flying with a formula fed, diapered older child. Which did you find overall best? Packing the diapers and food which will surely be overweight and I fear them being lost? Buying from a DME from the area (diapers acceptable, formula cost ridiculous)? Shipping in advance?
2) my daughter has a 16 yr old body and a preschool brain. She would be excited to play in the play areas and pool areas for children but is too old. She’s about 4’7” and 80 pounds. Do you think there would be a problem if she used the child areas?
3) since she is now 16 will she need ID for the flights?
I’m likely to come up with a bunch more questions later because I overthink everything.

I wouldn’t expect a problem using child play areas. Get her a non-driver ID.

Ive found shipping things in advance to be the best way, so much easier to get through the airport and you dont need to worry it will be lost. She will not be allowed in the childrens pool; they are very strict about that for safety reasons. But play areas she should be fine.

Do remember that her medical equipment will fly for free - just make sure that it is all packed in one bag, and that there is *nothing* in there that is "non-medical". Check with your airline first to make sure there are no other requirements or procedures.

Contact TSA directly to ask them about her ID needs; even if a state ID card is OK, it may still need to be "Real ID" compliant (ultimately). Just like with handicapped parking placards, each state sets it's own rules/regulations/requirements about a state ID card, so check that for your home state as well.

Keep asking questions - we may not always have the answers, but we can maybe help you find them! And :welcome:

Ship down what you need, but also have 1-2 days worth of supplies in your carryon just in case of a delay/diversion which has you stuck someplace for an extended time. Mamabunny's advice about packing medical supplies in one bag is crucial. I would assume adult diapers ae considered medical supplies?

I believe under 18 can fly without ID on domestic flights in the US: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequent...ll-minors-need-have-state-id-fly-domestically

Water play areas at WDW are all ages, for the most part: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/casey-jr-splash-n-soak-station/

Nice to see you back again!

1) Diaper, food and formula
We carry on what we need for the flight and 24 hours after in case of delays (Either our plane or our checked baggage). We do carry on ALL medications. You can have a medical carry on and a medical checked bag at no charge and without them counting toward your baggage allowance. Check with your airline for any specifics, including advance notice (we have notified the airline as we check in).
Those bags can contain only medical items and the airline has the right to look at the contents if they want to make sure it is all medical related. Diapers, special feedings and anything your daughter needs because of her disability that a person her age would NOT normally need could be considered medical. That would include things like a protective bed pad, things for giving a bed bath, enemas, etc.
The checked medical bag is handled the same as regular bags and can be opened and screened by TSA after you check it.
I would still try to stay in the weight allowance if possible and also mark it clearly as ‘Medical’. Keep in mind that it may get very cold in the baggage compartment. We also seal any liquids with a bag sealer. You don’t want to open your bag at your destination and find a bag of tube feeding or an enema has leaked!

We have never done a strictly medical carry on; we can fit what she needs in the carry on bags we are allowed without that. Keep in mind that if you do a Medical Carry on, it will still need to fit the size and weight allowances for carry on.

2) Play areas and pool
if the area is signed for a certain age, then you need to abide by that. The water play areas at the parks and Disney Springs are not signed and I have seen adults in them with their kids.

3) ID for air travel
At 16, she won’t need ID to travel by air; ID is not needed until 18. REAL ID was suppose to be required in October 2021, but because of COVID and states’ difficulty getting it put into process, the requirement was delayed until May 3, 2023
TSA Identification Information

TSA has some information on their website that may help you.
TSACares is their program for passenger support. You can contact them ahead of time for assistance with getting thru the screening checkpoint. Exactly what assistance is available varies from airport to airport, and even at the same airport it may vary depending on how busy it is and staffing.
TSA Special Procedures for Medications, Medical liquids and screening page has helpful information on what to expect as far as screening.
A ‘reasonable amount’ of medical liquids may be carried in your carry on luggage and go thru screening. There is no specific definition of ‘reasonable amount’, but a general rule of thumb is enough to get you thru your flight and your first 24 hours.

We DO bring our total supply of DD’s medications, which includes one or two 400 mL bottles of liquid medication.

We usually pack as much quantity of supplies as we can in our checked Medical bag - making sure we have at least a 24-48 hour supply PLUS anything that would be difficult or impossible to get at our destination.

We do a combination of bringing supplies and shipping them ahead of time. I’d suggest contacting your suppliers to see if they have a company they work with at your destination. If they do, you may be able to order thru them the same as your local supplier.
We have also ordered from our regular supplier and had them ship it to our destination. Make sure to clarify with them what to do if an item in the order is not available - we once had our shipment held up waiting for an item that was temporarily out of stock. Instead of shipping the partial order, they held the entire order waiting for the out of stock item!
We now generally ship ourselves. That way, we know exactly what is coming.

Resorts can charge a handling fee for packages; I think it was about $5 per package. WDW resorts do waive that for packages of medical supplies. We usually let the front desk know we are expecting a shipment of medical supplies, remind them it’s medical when we pick it up and also check our bill at check out to make sure they didn’t charge us.

Whether you ship, mail or have items in baggage, it’s good to check for damage when you reach your destination.
We check on possible local suppliers ahead of time so we have an emergency supply resource in case something gets damaged, we run out, etc.

For diapers, you may be used to ordering from your medical supplier, but you may be able to get what you need from Amazon. They do carry a variety of incontinence supplies and many can be delivered very quickly.
If your child can use a pull up type diaper instead of one that opens up, look at Goodnights or other regular consumer products made for kids who are bedwetters. They come in sizes that should fit your DD.

Good luck and hope your trip is great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter