Vanessa- figmentfan814 ~ Happily Ever Wedding & 10th Anniversary VR Brunch #1 Added 8-10

Ok, so I know I have so been slacking on catching up. My work has me going 6 days a week with 10 hour days until Christmas and I can't find the time to do anything I WANT to do. Unfortunately I always have just enough time to finish the things I need to do. :headache:
I'm so sad that the wedding part of your report is over. :sad1: It was a beautiful journey though and I thank you for sharing it. I can't wait to see the at home reception pics! From the way you described it...it so sounds like something I would have done myself! I also can't wait for the Hawaii portion of your report...it is so beautiful there.
On one small note...I just noticed your ticker. When exactly are you going to Disney for your 1 year? My Mom and I are planning a return trip around that time and I'm so excited that we may get to see you again! Let me know :hug:

Anna Marie
Sorry to hear that things are so hectic at work. I know it's finals week for my students (I teach a couple of classes at a community college on top of my job) and I'm about to go crazy, but that doesn't sound nearly as stressful as having to work 6 days up until Christmas. I hope you get a break soon :hug:

Hawaii will be up next, so definitely stay tuned. I finished getting all my at-home reception pictures uploaded too :cheer2:

We're going to be down Feb. 7-13, does that coincide with your trip at all? :smickey:

I can't wait to see all of your pictures! We aren't sure when we will be coming yet. My company may have some workers striking soon and if that takes place I have to cover for some of the positions that go on strike. I am one of the unlucky people that are non-union :sad2: As soon as I find out if and when they will strike I can make final arrangements, but that is around the time we were thinking of going. Did you get the $200 gift card and the 3 days free deal?

Anna Marie

I can't wait to see all of your pictures! We aren't sure when we will be coming yet. My company may have some workers striking soon and if that takes place I have to cover for some of the positions that go on strike. I am one of the unlucky people that are non-union :sad2: As soon as I find out if and when they will strike I can make final arrangements, but that is around the time we were thinking of going. Did you get the $200 gift card and the 3 days free deal?

Anna Marie

I'm sorry I didn't realize that I never replied to your response. We actually booked the annual pass rate, so we did pretty good on our room rate. The cost was only $89 per night for the moderate :yay:

I hope things go better at work during the first of the year. Coming from a huge labor town I know how hard it can be for people when strikes happen :hug:

I wanted to let all of you ladies know that all my photos are updated and I will have Hawaii coming up soon after Christmas :santa:

Here's a sneak peek; this was when we arrived at the Honolulu airport after traveling for over 22 hours :faint:
IMG_4537.jpg

:
Thanks, I wasn't sure that I would ever get through the wedding stuff ;) There were several of us Disney brides there at that time then- we ran into 3 other brides during our trip! :bride: We were there Feb. 29-March 9. Were you already engaged at that point?

I was engaged actually and planning a wedding in New Jersey. We stayed at the poly. our room faced Sunset point. (I think thats the place at the poly) and I saw a wedding going on. I just thought it was amazing so when I came home we changed our plans and now here I am! :rotfl: Bobby wasn't with me. I went on vacation with my parents and Bobby couldn't get off work.

What a great Trip Report. I enjoyed every bit of it and can not wait to hear about your Honeymoon and reception!

Sweet! That is a good deal! I remember when Brad and I got to get that rate...it seems so long ago :rotfl: I will let you know about the dates as soon as I know myself. I can't wait to see the honeymoon pictures...the teaser pic was beautiful even with the sleep deprived looks on your faces :lmao:

Anna Marie

Vanessa,

What an awesome Trip report!! I have enjoyed every second of it!! :goodvibes I can't wait to see and hear about Hawaii and your at home reception!!

:beach: Hawaii - Day 1 & 2 Arriving in Honolulu and Hiking Up Diamondhead

For many of you that might not know, our honeymoon was originally scheduled for the week after the wedding. Because of some issues that arose after Kris' dad passed away we had to delay it until the end of April/beginning of May. Since its not even our 1st wedding anniversary yet, I don't feel so bad not finishing the honeymoon since I still have 5 months until we reach a year on it :rotfl:

The first day of our honeymoon was basically spent traveling. We had two layovers on our way to Honolulu . Our first stop was in Minneapolis where we had a little bit of time to walk around and enjoy the shops; I love this airport it is really nice! We also bought a couple of pops for the flight since our airline only served Pepsi.

Our layover in LA was a lot longer, so I had made reservation at the restaurant that is outside in the center of all the terminals, The Encounter. There was some construction going on with its arches, but it was still pretty cool. We just had burgers, but the food was pretty good. Plus, how else would we have killed 5 hours at that place. LAX is the worst airport I’ve ever been to in my life. The terminals are so small and aren’t connected to each other. I’ve had several bad experiences there over the years and try to avoid a stop in LA whenever possible!
With such limited options inside the terminal at LAX and a 5 hour layover I thought what the heck! It actually wasn't too bad. We just had burgers, but they were tasty and the atmosphere is cool too. Here are a few pictures:
Hawaii604.jpg

Hawaii606.jpg

Hawaii611.jpg

Finally after nearly 20 hours of traveling we landed in Honolulu around 5:30 pm local time. The open air airport terminal reminded me of Jamaica.
IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

Since daylight savings time had just kicked in back in Michigan we were dealing with a 6 hour time difference which was killer! We were met by a guide from our travel company who was a college kid who lead us outside to where our van would be picking us up to take to our hotel in Waikiki. He was really friendly and tried to keep us from falling asleep while waiting for the van.

The drive to Waikiki was pretty uneventful and we checked into the Outrigger: Waikiki on the Beach without any problems. Hotel lobby:
Hawaii801.jpg

We trudged up to our room which was really nice and decided to crash for a nap.
IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

After a few hours I got up and was starving; Kris wasn’t too happy about getting up but I convinced him to walk around a little and to get some food before turning in for the night. It was around 8:30 pm their time so it was pretty seeing the streets all lit up. I was surprised how commercial the Waikiki area is nowadays. I remember seeing pictures from my parents honeymoon 30 years prior and it was nothing like that back then. We walked to a few shops and finally headed back to the hotel. I decided to get takeout at the restaurant. I just got a quesadilla and then we headed back to the room. We fell asleep by like 10:00 pm.

With the time change we were wide awake by 7:00 am, so we decided to go ahead and get an early start. View from our room:
IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

We were out the door by 8 and headed to breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant on the beach.
IMG_4557.jpg

Hawaii657.jpg

Afterwards we headed out to explore the area.
Hawaii670.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

Hawaii677.jpg

Inside a hotel’s lobby:
IMG_4571.jpg

Only a few stores were open, but we managed to find a few things to buy including a new swimsuit for Kris. After a while we headed back to the hotel walking along the beach. In the distance we spotted Diamondhead and decided that it was the perfect chance to climb it that day since we didn’t have any definite plans.
Hawaii558.jpg

We went inside to the concierge desk to find out about the bus schedule to get there since it was several miles away and then headed up to the room to pack appropriately. We grabbed more sun block and bottled water then headed out. The bus ride took us through some neighborhoods and past the Honolulu Zoo before dropping us off at the bottom of a hill. We didn’t realize that we had to hike like ½ mile up the hill just to enter the park!
We finally arrived at the entrance:
IMG_4582.jpg

Let’s just say the hike up was pretty brutal. When you see people who are coming down looking like they’re reading to pass out; you realize that you don’t know what you’ve gotten yourself into :lmao: There was a snack truck near the base of the climb, so we bought a couple of bottled waters for the hike up.

It took us over 2 hours to get to the top if I remember correctly. The path zigzags up the side of the crater. Sometimes you literally have to pull yourself up some of the paths since the stairs created in the dirt are pretty steep. I really don’t have a lot of pictures from this climb. It was the middle of the afternoon and extremely hot. I ended up taking a pain pill halfway up because of my hips and back and Kris had stripped off his shirt because he was so tired.

As you get towards the end of the climb, there are staircases of cement. This area was used as a lookout during WWII.
Hawaii681.jpg

After you finish climbing 3 or 4 sets of these stairs you go through a series of tunnels and then end up in a small room. You actually have to crawl through this opening to go up to the top. Some people couldn’t get through because you really had to stoop down, almost on your hands and knees, so they just peeked through the crack at the view.

From the summit; at the top you can actually purchase a certificate that says you made the climb. We got one of course for the scrapbook! You can see some of the paths below me in this shot.
Hawaii701.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

You can tell we’re a little tired in this shot!
Hawaii696.jpg

It was at this point we realized we had to make the climb back down!

Finally, we made it back to the base and rode the bus back to our resort where we took a nap again! About two hours later we headed to dinner at a place called Shoreline Grill. It was really nice. You get to pick whatever meat you want and then you grill it on an open grill on the side of the restaurant. It took a lot longer than we expected, but it was still wonderful. I tried my first and last mai tai too, not really my cup of tea although I don’t really drink at all anyway :drinking1
Hawaii713.jpg

Hawaii710.jpg

We walked around and watched some of the street performers :rockband: I was amazed how many performers there were there. It was interesting and disturbing at the same time if that makes sense. There are also a lot of homeless and people handing out flyers for gun places. They have all of these shooting gallery type places set up. Apparently a lot of the foreign tourists love to go to them. I’m sure some of the Americans go too. It reminds me of when you’re given the brochures for ladies revues when you’re walking in Las Vegas.

A shot of me with Duke one of the famous surfers of Waikiki.
Hawaii714.jpg

We also stopped at one of their ABC Stores to pick up some snacks for the room including my necessary Diet Coke and then called it a night. It was the end of our first full day in Hawaii!!!

It looks like Hawaii is beautuiful! I don't think Df and I would have made the climb! I'm sure it was worth it, but it sounds brutal! Then knowing you have to go back down...

Can't wait to read more!

It looks like Hawaii is beautuiful! I don't think Df and I would have made the climb! I'm sure it was worth it, but it sounds brutal! Then knowing you have to go back down...

Can't wait to read more!
Amy, it was so hard; I really don't think I would ever do it again. But, once we were halfway up and I realized how bad the hike truly was going to be I just couldn't give up after already suffering that much :rotfl: Thanks for reading, I know how busy you are right now :goodvibes

Vanessa Hawaii is gorgeous!!! I love your photos!!!
Lynn, it really was so beautiful. I'm trying to just select a few shots to post because I literally took over 1,500 shots while we were there. Stay tuned for when I get to Maui; it really is breathtaking!

Vanessa you are a brave woman for climbing Diamondhead!!!! Good Job!!!!! :thumbsup2 There's no way I could have done it. My inlaws have been to Hawaii 3 times and go to Diamondhead everytime, but I don't think they've ever made it to the summit. I'll have to tell them I know someone who could do it!!!! :rotfl: Your pictures are stunning though and that makes it totally worth it.

Props to you for climbing Diamondhead! :thumbsup2 What great photos! I don't know if I could do the long flights though. I would need to make some full day stops in order to get out there with my sanity! :lmao:

Vanessa you are a brave woman for climbing Diamondhead!!!! Good Job!!!!! :thumbsup2 There's no way I could have done it. My inlaws have been to Hawaii 3 times and go to Diamondhead everytime, but I don't think they've ever made it to the summit. I'll have to tell them I know someone who could do it!!!! :rotfl: Your pictures are stunning though and that makes it totally worth it.
That doesn't make me feel so bad after all. I felt like it took us forever to get to the top and it seemed like so many people were flying past us (there was actually 2 guys running/jogging to the top :scared:). I feel like we accomplished a lot now :)

Props to you for climbing Diamondhead! :thumbsup2 What great photos! I don't know if I could do the long flights though. I would need to make some full day stops in order to get out there with my sanity! :lmao:
It was definitely a long trip, I was surprised that so many people were attempting it. I don't know if I would have done it if I knew what I was getting myself into :rotfl:

Vanessa,
WOW! You are a brave brave girl and I admire you. There is no way in heck that I would have climbed that thing and to top it all of it was done the day after traveling for 20 some hours...can you say jet lag? :faint: You are crazy woman!
Your pictures are beautiful. I can't wait to see the Maui ones...I am beginning to wonder if you took any of my tips! :lmao:
I'll be waiting for more...
Oh yes, and by the way, are you getting excited about your next Disney trip??? I am still waiting to see if my company is going to strike. :rolleyes2

Anna Marie

Vanessa WOW I am impressed! I would never have been able to climb Diamondhead! Awesome job!! :thumbsup2

The pictures are beautiful! I have an aunt and uncle that live thee and absolutley love it! We are thinking of going there in 2010 to see them and to see the new DVC opening that year as well.

DH and I love to hike - Diamond Head sounds so interesting! Kudos to you both for making it to the top :thumbsup2
I highly recommend visiting Diamondhead if you are both into hiking. There are actually a lot of beautiful places to hike both on Oahu and on Maui :thumbsup2

Vanessa,
WOW! You are a brave brave girl and I admire you. There is no way in heck that I would have climbed that thing and to top it all of it was done the day after traveling for 20 some hours...can you say jet lag? :faint: You are crazy woman!
Your pictures are beautiful. I can't wait to see the Maui ones...I am beginning to wonder if you took any of my tips! :lmao:
I'll be waiting for more...
Oh yes, and by the way, are you getting excited about your next Disney trip??? I am still waiting to see if my company is going to strike. :rolleyes2

Anna Marie
It probably wasn't the best choice the day after arriving, but we really didn't know what we were getting ourselves into :upsidedow

Actually, we did check out some of the things you mentioned on Maui including Bubba Gump shrimp company in Lahaina :goodvibes The weather was a little stormy on one of our days there, so we didn't get to do everything we wanted.

Sorry to hear that you still haven't been able to book your Disney trip yet. Here's some pixie dust pixiedust: sent your way for a quick resolution, so you can make it to WDW again soon!

Vanessa WOW I am impressed! I would never have been able to climb Diamondhead! Awesome job!! :thumbsup2

The pictures are beautiful! I have an aunt and uncle that live thee and absolutley love it! We are thinking of going there in 2010 to see them and to see the new DVC opening that year as well.
I definitely recommend making it out to Hawaii; it is so beautiful. Plus,having Disney resort to visit makes it all the more exciting!

Vanessa,

Wow, Congrats on climbing Diamondhead!! I definitely would NOT have been able to do that!! Especially after your long journey. Your pics are beautiful though. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. I am hoping we will get there sometime soon. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter