Value Resorts Approach Mods In Pricing

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
While checking Passholder rates for this Summer,it is amazing as a WDW "veteran" to see how close the Mods and Values are getting in pricing.

It really does seem to indicate Disney will at some point drop the Value/Moderate/Deluxe labels.

CBR Standard-158.00
Pop Century Preferred-134.00
AoA Mermaid-152.00

Never thought I would see a SIX DOLLAR difference between a VALUE room and a MODERATE room!

While checking Passholder rates for this Summer,it is amazing as a WDW "veteran" to see how close the Mods and Values are getting in pricing.

It really does seem to indicate Disney will at some point drop the Value/Moderate/Deluxe labels.

CBR Standard-158.00
AoA Mermaid-152.00

Never thought I would see a SIX DOLLAR difference between a VALUE room and a MODERATE room!
AOA has never been a Value in price. It is in amenities, though.

AOA has never been a Value in price. It is in amenities, though.

This!

I never understood why it was listed as a Value. I've wanted to stay there with my family, but even at the resident rate....that's out of my budget.

ETA: It must be just my luck when I'm checking rates for my travel dates. It seems I can only catch the Suites at AoA. Just checking on dates I put in August and the standard room is only $135. That actually is in our budget.

Last edited:
Well, if you’re comparing the cheapest values to the most expensive moderates in a standard room category, the most expensive moderate will still be close to $100 more.

As an example AllStars were $111 per night while POFQ was $197 per night.

Moderates are also saving an additional 10% over the Values under the passholder rate making them a bit closer in pricing.

For my dates the LM rooms are only $3 cheaper then CSR.

The AoA room is likely rack (since they rarely offer discounts) and CBR likely has a nice discount applied. But I agree, the price gap between value and moderate is small, and then there is an enormous jump in price when you get to the deluxe level, which I don't really get.

CBR Standard-158.00
AoA Mermaid-152.00

Summer 2016 I paid less for a room at CSR than AoA (LM room) would have been and it was only 15$ more than ASMo so nothing new.

The AoA room is likely rack (since they rarely offer discounts) and CBR likely has a nice discount applied. But I agree, the price gap between value and moderate is small, and then there is an enormous jump in price when you get to the deluxe level, which I don't really get.

The AofA LM room is discounted. For my dates, rack is $200, while the discounted room comes to $150.
In comparison, rack at CSR is $219, while the discounted room comes to $153.

That is the truth. The deluxe resorts are way over-priced, in my opinion. I’ve said it before, but I honestly don’t know how people afford to stay at them!

There's a poster here, whom I enjoy reading his posts. He says he easily drops 20K when staying at the Poly! :faint: :faint: He says it's worth it to see his girl's faces at the parks. Even with my FL resident discount, the deluxes hurt my pocket. AK isn't too bad...but at $250 a night....I go....where else can I spend that extra $120. The values run me about $125 a night. I'm there to sleep, shower, and rest in the room. The majority of my time is going to be in the parks. As much as I would love to have one night at the Contemporary.....mentally I just can't "allow' myself to drop that much money. Yes we only go every 3 or 4 years and our refund allows us to do so. But even with that, I have to be conscious of what's being spent to make sure we can bring some of that finance, back home.

That is the truth. The deluxe resorts are way over-priced, in my opinion. I’ve said it before, but I honestly don’t know how people afford to stay at them!

We save and don't go to Disney every year, let alone 3 times a year. 3 or 4 years of saving (reasonable saving, not depriving ourselves of other vacations or anything else we like), we can afford a deluxe stay.

:)

I'm there to sleep, shower, and rest in the room. The majority of my time is going to be in the parks

That's the difference right there, isn't it? We spend at least half, often more, of our time at the resort. Usually at the pool (SAB). Once you've been enough times, the parks are more casual and the resort becomes the primary concern. It's all a matter of preference.

But I agree, the price gap between value and moderate is small, and then there is an enormous jump in price when you get to the deluxe level, which I don't really get.

It's all a matter of occupancy and filling unsold rooms. I've seen deluxes approach moderate prices, too. Not as often, but it happens.

That's the difference right there, isn't it? We spend at least half, often more, of our time at the resort. Usually at the pool (SAB). Once you've been enough times, the parks are more casual and the resort becomes the primary concern. It's all a matter of preference.

Oh for sure! Going again next May and while getting fast passes are important, I'm mostly looking forward to the resort. Trying Boardwalk for first time! :)

Absolutely agree!

There's a poster here, whom I enjoy reading his posts. He says he easily drops 20K when staying at the Poly! :faint: :faint: He says it's worth it to see his girl's faces at the parks. Even with my FL resident discount, the deluxes hurt my pocket. AK isn't too bad...but at $250 a night....I go....where else can I spend that extra $120. The values run me about $125 a night. I'm there to sleep, shower, and rest in the room. The majority of my time is going to be in the parks. As much as I would love to have one night at the Contemporary.....mentally I just can't "allow' myself to drop that much money. Yes we only go every 3 or 4 years and our refund allows us to do so. But even with that, I have to be conscious of what's being spent to make sure we can bring some of that finance, back home.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. ;)

100% agree!! We have AP and have been twice this year and have 2 more trips planned before our passes expire. we only spend 3 hours or so in the parks and the rest of the time enjoying the pools/restaurants. Our next trip happens to be the week GE opens (not intentionally) and we will spend much more time at the beach club than in the parks due to the insane crowds that will be there.

I find that by digging around I can usually get a mod for about $70 - $80 more a night than a value. That’s when looking at both with discounts and comparing a cheaper mod to a cheaper value resort - I don’t generally pay rack rate if I can at all avoid it.

AoA however, I always find overpriced. Even with discounts the prices leave me shaking my head. That said, I’m sure the family rooms do provide a good option for some larger groups. but as I often go solo or with only a couple family members, AoA is out of the running for my $$$

The deluxes do have a larger gap and I generally can’t justify booking them unless I find an amazing deal. I do understand why people book them, they’re beautiful, but I have a certain set $$ amount that I like to spend each year on travel and booking a deluxe would mean thinking about booking one less extra small trip. Usually another little trip outweighs my need for a deluxe at Disney. I also do find the cost for a Disney deluxe room vs an actual deluxe hotel other places in the world to be vastly out of balance - a fact that strikes me as bonkers, but whatever, it’s Disney, the prices are what they are.

I did recently book a trip to Disneyland, I’m staying at the Disneyland Hotel in June and I have to say - the prices shocked me a bit. I’m sure it will be very nice, and more importantly my dad will enjoy the ease of access and the nostalgia of staying where we stayed many times when I was younger... but ouch it was more than I would have paid to stay at the contemporary! In fact, even their cheapest on site hotel costs more than many of the moderates at WDW. But to book this trip I did sacrifice a mini break to San Francisco.

Basically I think it’s all about your preferences and priorities. Do you save more, do you travel more often, do you go less often but spend big when you’re there, do you spend all day in the parks, do you lounge by the pool - no choice is wrong, it’s just how you choose to live and budget for your life.

AoA must fit the bill for some people though, because a lot of people stay there.

Also I must say, I still find the prices on most of the values to be quite decent. Especially since I just paid $169 a night for holiday inn in my neck of the woods so we didn’t have to drive home after a concert.

Last edited:
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. ;)
What?!? Everything on the internet is true! :laughing:
Our next trip happens to be the week GE opens (not intentionally) and we will spend much more time at the beach club than in the parks due to the insane crowds that will be there.
Maybe I'll see y'all there. Same plans pretty much! I'm planning on hiking to DHS one morning... That part may be a solo adventure which would be great for me! 8-)
I did recently book a trip to Disneyland for the Disneyland Hotel in June and I have to say the prices shocked me a bit
If you want to talk about outrageous, start at DL hotels for sure. Holy schnikies, those prices are a travesty! Embassy Suites Anaheim South has served us perfectly well for DL trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter