Vaccine, Covid, and reopening updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michigan looks to be turning a corner. Statewide cases have been below the 7-day rolling average for 4 consecutive days, and in my county, which was among the hardest hit in this wave, they're down by almost half compared to a week ago. Which is still high but nothing like the couple of weeks we had where fully 1% of the population was dx'd with covid each week. We've still got a ways to go before it all shakes out and we know what the final numbers are - deaths peaked in the fall 18 days after cases peaked, and we're only 5-6 days past what looks like the probable peak of this wave. But right now, it looks like the fatality rate during this surge is about 1/3 of what it was in our fall peak, probably because most of the people with the worst odds were vaccinated by the time cases started rising. So that's the good news.

The bad is that we do seem to be hitting a wall on vaccination with 40% of the population having had at least one dose. The county can't fill available appointments and has had to scramble to use up doses at the end of the day when they've held walk-in events. It looks like the 16-17 group is going to be tough to reach. Even parents who are vaccinated themselves are expressing reluctance to have their kids vaccinated before there's a longer base of information about the vaccine. A couple of high schools in my area shared "get vaccinated" posts on social media only to end up deleting them under a barrage of parent and community complaints.
We are hitting the wall in TN as well. My metro county is at about 39% with at lt least one dose. Surrounding rural counties are less, lots of vaccine hesitancy here. Wide open appointments at grocery stores, pharmacies, medical centers. Several local pharmacies have cut back on their offerings due to not filling appointments, the drive thru clinics that were going 4 days a week cut back. The state as a whole has 23% of the population fully vaccinated. I really hope we can get that number higher at a decent pace, but the highly motivated population has been vaccinated and now we are at a trickle..

Our state had 745 ppl hospitalized on 4/19. The all time high for hospitalizations on 1 day was 2,862 on 12/22. We are down to about 500 new cases in the state per day. But only 35% have initiated vaccination, with 24% having rec'd both doses. Not too shabby. I doubt out state will go about 40% vaccination rate tho.

Arizona has 38.5% of its population vaccinated now, according to an alert I got this morning at work (I work for a health care company).

If you go to AZ department of health’s website and go to their dashboards and select Maricopa county, the vaccination rate is showing 24.2%. This is more relevant to me than the state’s number.

I just read that vaccine administration was down 10% last few days, compared to the same days last week. That is not a good sign. I really hope we aren't approaching that wall that they have warned about.

Clearly the J&J pause has had an effect on willingness of people to get vaccinated.
On the bright side that also means 90% as many that got of that got it last week are getting it this week. The drop off could have been much worse. And some of that 10% loss could be explained by J and J not being available. Depending on state between 20% and 35% have either had their two shots, or one shot of a one shot vaccine. And nationally they said we're up to 50% with at least one shot of a two shot vaccine. Now if we can bring the rest of that 50% home in the next 3 weeks, I won't be satisfied with that but I'd be happy. At least it's a race now to get people vaccinated and it appears that vaccination is having some effect.

I also note how sporadic things are county by county. if in a couple of months when things shake out, if I want to go on a trip and look at the numbers in places I'd like to go and County X is at 15% and County Y at 35% and County Z over 65% guess where I'm going. Obviously that's not the only consideration but I'm sure not going to the area with 15% compliance. I'm going to a tourist spot where they care about others (including the tourists they rely on) enough to go get vaccines.

In NV, apparently, the whole state will drop requirements June 1, pending vaccine numbers.
Well, the governor will be handing it over to the counties and some things will remain in place. I’ve been watching the vax numbers steadily climb. *knock wood* I feel optimistic about it. I believe we’ll be in a place where my kids will be vaccinated (they’re 15) and heading back to school in the Fall. DD is stoked. DS not so much. 😂

Arizona has 38.5% of its population vaccinated now, according to an alert I got this morning at work (I work for a health care company).
If you go to AZ department of health’s website and go to their dashboards and select Maricopa county, the vaccination rate is showing 24.2%. This is more relevant to me than the state’s number.
I'm going to guess that 38.5% is at least one dose of a two dose vaccine. I have full vaccination rates for Maricopa at 24.5%, Pima at 30.8%. No way in heck that 38.5 could be anything other than the one dose number given those two counties figures.

I just read that vaccine administration was down 10% last few days, compared to the same days last week. That is not a good sign. I really hope we aren't approaching that wall that they have warned about.

Clearly the J&J pause has had an effect on willingness of people to get vaccinated.

Dr. Mike Yeadon, a former CSO & VP with Pfizer Global is making rounds expressing "grave concerns" about the vaccine. I've seen some articles pop up recently. Wondering if anyone else has.

So....is that why there was a local peak of cases in July last year?

That was with no one having had the virus and a lot of places opening after our initial shut down (with Florida and Georgia 1st at the end of May) - and testing actually being done in sufficient numbers vs last spring...if you look at your winter peak, it's gotta be sky high compared to that one...

I'm going to guess that 38.5% is at least one dose of a two dose vaccine. I have full vaccination rates for Maricopa at 24.5%, Pima at 30.8%. No way in heck that 38.5 could be anything other than the one dose number given those two counties figures.
I have no idea how it was calculated. I don’t want to argue with anybody about it. I’m just reporting the facts that I received because I thought it was pretty good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter