Vaccine - change of mind

My stance has been the same the entire time; I will get it the moment I am eligible. Funnily, I said that all I wanted for my birthday was a vaccine. Well, my birthday is on Monday and that is the day that Australia will be giving it's first doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine (which is the one I will almost certainly get). I am still a long way off; I am young, not an essential worker and have no medical issues that would make me more susceptible, so I will impatiently wait my turn!

I’ve always said I was going to get it. I’m on the wait list so I am patiently waiting my turn. I have no preexisting conditions so I am in the last tier.

My husband was leaning towards not getting it but somewhere along the way changed his mind, signed up for the wait list and got his first shot last week.

For short time side effects, I agree with you. Midterm, much less long term? Nope. They don't know. IMO, "mid term" would be 1-2 years, and "long term" 2+ years.
Depends on the type of vaccine. I don't believe any of the ones in the US market are likely to be attenuated or dead viruses like with the polio vaccine. The "Cutter Incident" from the 50s really set back polio vaccination for years.

Well I wasn’t going to say anything when I read this thread earlier, but since others have brought it up...

I am an RN and I really wish people could see in person some of what we’re seeing in terms of after-affects of Covid. Plenty of heart effects, sure. Which are bad enough. But I’m talking aneurisms in weird places, blood clots to organs like kidneys, lungs, livers, sometimes in the form of an “embolic shower” where they go all over the body, brain aneurisms, debilitating fatigue, etc. In younger people, also “healthy”. The looks on their faces when they get this news is heartbreaking.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I would absolutely rather take my chances with the vaccine, than I would having Covid.

Originally I thought no because it's too new. Eventually over time I grew more accustomed to the idea. Finally I decided that because I am beyond child bearing age, I'll go ahead and get it because even if it does have some (as yet unknown) longer term risk factors, I am willing to take those risks.

If I were 20 years younger? May or may not have, but I sure want to visit with my parents again. In my state (AZ) I was eligible around the end of January as emergency/protective services who have to go to work so I went ahead and did it and got the second dose almost 2 weeks ago.

My husband isn't eligible yet anyway... he is leaning "no" but he would get it if it becomes required to travel overseas. He is very much against a mandatory vaccination.

Well I wasn’t going to say anything when I read this thread earlier, but since others have brought it up...

I am an RN and I really wish people could see in person some of what we’re seeing in terms of after-affects of Covid. Plenty of heart effects, sure. Which are bad enough. But I’m talking aneurisms in weird places, blood clots to organs like kidneys, lungs, livers, sometimes in the form of an “embolic shower” where they go all over the body, brain aneurisms, debilitating fatigue, etc. In younger people, also “healthy”. The looks on their faces when they get this news is heartbreaking.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I would absolutely rather take my chances with the vaccine, than I would having Covid.
This. I've treated so many patients months after having and getting over Covid who continue to have serious lung and heart issues. Many were perfectly healthy before. 30 year olds having strokes, people waking up after being on a ventilator with serious neurologic issues, blood clots coming up out of nowhere. Some of the people I'm seeing now are months after having Covid, and are still declining. We know these long-term effects and they are terrifying, but for some reason people either don't believe them or choose to ignore them and only look at death rates. Getting the vaccine was one of the easiest decisions I've made. Happy that I've been fully vaccinated for just about 2 months now.

I’ve kind of changed my mind to wanting to avoid the vaccine. 1. With the variants I’m starting to think there is no point, and even with it really doesn’t feel like things are ever going to get back to normal so again what’s the point? We haven’t been to a restaurant in a year, stay at home, take precautions and none of that is going to be changing, so again, what’s the point. Might as well wait and see how it shakes out.

We are in Canada so our rollout has been slower. Our family is DH51, my mother (72), myself(42), DD19 and DS18.

I wanted to wait and see in the beginning. Then I took the time to research the vaccines to understand how they work and then studied the risk data (and continue to do so). After that, I felt much, much more comfortable with the vaccine and decided when my turn came, I would go ahead with it.

My DH was extremely hesitant. Getting chemo, he is at high risk of COVID-19. Still, the thought of rare detrimental side effects really scared him. I didn't say too much in the beginning but gradually started working into the conversation various things I've researched and how vaccines appear to be the way out of this pandemic. And then I also addressed some of the very true arguments from "the other side" as well (I like understanding both points of view). I did my level best not to badger him.

A couple of weeks ago, he told me he wanted to get the vaccine. I was outwardly quiet but cheered like crazy inside lol. He is still nervous and still sends me links to various rare side effects and so on. Sometimes conspiracy theories too. I try my best to address each one factually. I do sometimes get fed up and tell him to not bother getting the vaccine then.

He tells me he is primarily getting it for DS18. Who we have basically locked up for months now due to worries he will spread COVID-19 to DH. DS18 is taking it in good spirits, but it has definitely been a rough year. Once DH and I get at least the first shot, we will be more comfortable with DS returning to work (as a server) and seeing more people.

On top of all that, I had pneumonia in early January after a WDW trip. Maybe COVID-19? Maybe run-of-the-mill pneumonia. Who knows? I had a negative antibody test in the Fall. It was a super mild case (no coughing or congestion even), but I spent almost 3 months in bed due to fatigue and to this day still have random shortness of breath. No clue how my lungs look like now. But we do worry if I have some serious risk factors if I ever get Covid-19.

Then there is my 72 year old mother. She prefers to wait and see and is not unduly concerned about herself contracting COVID-19 since she eats so healthy and has a good immune system. She lives with us and plans to get the vaccine when DH and I do, mostly in order to protect DH. At this point I don't even care about her reason. Just happy she will be protected.

Last edited:
What is it with all these husbands not wanting to get the vaccine???!!!?? I’m in the same boat - I’ve had both shots, DD will her 2nd shot next week. But DH won’t get it. He had no factual basis for not getting it. He just wants to “wait and see.” I was even able to get him an appointment when DD got hers. But still no. I’ve tried to reason with him using factual info, tried telling him that herd immunity will allow our kids to get their normal social lives back, sent him screenshots of his friends getting the shots. Nothing has worked. Yet he wants to go to DD’s in person graduation, celebrate with friends, and travel to Florida and New Orleans in the next few months. And he’s not that great about masking around friends. I think he’s insane to do all this without the vaccine. He’s putting our family and our financial future at risk.

What is it with all these husbands not wanting to get the vaccine???!!!?? I’m in the same boat - I’ve had both shots, DD will her 2nd shot next week. But DH won’t get it. He had no factual basis for not getting it. He just wants to “wait and see.” I was even able to get him an appointment when DD got hers. But still no. I’ve tried to reason with him using factual info, tried telling him that herd immunity will allow our kids to get their normal social lives back, sent him screenshots of his friends getting the shots. Nothing has worked. Yet he wants to go to DD’s in person graduation, celebrate with friends, and travel to Florida and New Orleans in the next few months. And he’s not that great about masking around friends. I think he’s insane to do all this without the vaccine. He’s putting our family and our financial future at risk.

No idea. But I see the same in the gender breakout for men and women in my state. More women have gotten the vaccine than men. I’m sure this will lead to some divorces. No idea why men are more scared of needles than women.

I was a wait and see person last summer. Not anti-vax, just didn't want to be one of the first guinea pigs for the vaccine. I'm mid 40s, normal weight, only pre-existing is type 2 diabetes, but it is under control with diet and exercise. Plus, we were being super cautious in our lifestyle and our risks were minimal. I didn't count on my mother bringing it home to us! She got it from her dialysis facility, even though they have supposedly been following precautions to the max. Me and my sisters are her caregivers, so not being around her was not an option. I was a severe case and my mother almost didn't make it, as well. We're still dealing with the fallout from Covid in our family! Needless to say, I'll be getting it as soon as I can. It's been almost 3 months since I got a positive and I've been mostly well for about 6 weeks now. I most definitely do not want to get Covid again! My hair has just started falling out and I'm worried about long-term effects.
My hair is falling out too. I know it could be worse, but it’s very upsetting seeing all that hair everywhere

No idea. But I see the same in the gender breakout for men and women in my state. More women have gotten the vaccine than men. I’m sure this will lead to some divorces. No idea why men are more scared of needles than women.
My husband couldn’t wait to get the vaccine. On the other hand, I have 3 close friends who won’t get it. Female. I also know at least 1 teacher coworker who won’t get it.

What is it with all these husbands not wanting to get the vaccine???!!!??
Maybe they are more into the the various conspiracy theories?
No idea why men are more scared of needles than women.
I doubt it is the needles, a person can't even really feel them anymore, they are so sharp and thin. They maybe think they can feel them?

Reason probably is, see above.

I was waiting, I figured it would be a pretty long while before my group was eligible anyway.
Pretty much everyone I knew that was eligible had gotten it so then I started to consider it. I figure if something does happen long term, we're all in the same boat.

No idea why men are more scared of needles than women.
I don't know, either. In my house (me, husband, and 2 adult sons) my husband and I both got the vaccine. Oldest son was able to get an appointment as soon as he was eligible, and is now one week post 2nd dose. Younger son became eligible 5 days ago and got an appointment for first dose this Sunday.

Don't know how the "kids" feel about shots, but it didn't take any convincing on my part for them to get the shot.

I don't know, either. In my house (me, husband, and 2 adult sons) my husband and I both got the vaccine. Oldest son was able to get an appointment as soon as he was eligible, and is now one week post 2nd dose. Younger son became eligible 5 days ago and got an appointment for first dose this Sunday.

Don't know how the "kids" feel about shots, but it didn't take any convincing on my part for them to get the shot.
My 20 something kids wanted it very badly and went out of their way to get it as soon as they had the opportunity as did most of their friends. They see it as the key to getting their lives back!!!

Maybe they are more into the the various conspiracy theories?

I doubt it is the needles, a person can't even really feel them anymore, they are so sharp and thin. They maybe think they can feel them?

Reason probably is, see above.

Maybe they’re using the conspiracy theory angle to hide their fear of needles.

I have said since the beginning that if I wanted one. My husband and I get our second shots tomorrow. I can't wait to be able to see my grandchildren and my Mother in Law again. My youngest is in college and the school arranged sign ups and transportation for the students. She gets her second one next week. My oldest? The mother of my Grandchildren? She doesn't plan on getting one until maybe fall. I could kick her if we didn't live so many hours apart. I want to go there for Christmas next year but hubby has lung damage from Iraq and I have diabetes among other health issues. If she wants us there, if she cares enough, she and her husband will get their shots. If not, I know that we aren't important enough to her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter