Vacations other than Disney

Vancouver, BC, Canada

All 50 states ...granted some are more interesting than others :) Alaska, Iowa and Texas are some of my favorites

Europe-I've been to Scotland 7 times in 6 years, also love Florence and Venice.

We had an incredible experience on safari in Africa with our 17 yr old and 16 yr old.
I’m taking DH, DS 21 and DD19 on safari in the Greater Kruger area this summer. We are on a pretty tight budget, so I’ve saved up and researched the heck out of it to maximize our credit card points. I can’t wait! Where did your family go?

We go on cruises, do road trips, fly to other (domestic) cities, spend weeks in Canada... really, there's no end to what you can do, and it's not all super expensive.

Really depends on what you like, or what you think you may like. Then make it happen.

I’m taking DH, DS 21 and DD19 on safari in the Greater Kruger area this summer. We are on a pretty tight budget, so I’ve saved up and researched the heck out of it to maximize our credit card points. I can’t wait! Where did your family go?

We went to Kenya and Tanzania.

We had great trips to:

San Francisco
Colorado
South Carolina.

Really depends on what you are looking for. Where do you live and how far are you willing to travel? Do you like the beach? Do you like historical stuff? Do you like active vacations doing things like kayaking? So much depends on your circumstances.

I'll throw one in there I haven't seen yet - the keys. The scenic drive down from Ft Laud or Miami is wonderful. The live musical talent, amazing restaurants, warmth and friendliness, fascinating history and sheer personality of Key West is addictive. The breathtaking snorkeling and diving in the upper and middle keys. The laid back attitude and island feel.

You can enjoy some of the same amenities and activities that are in the keys in many other destinations too...but there is NO place like the keys anywhere in the world. It's a very special place. Love...love...love it. :lovestruc

The Outer Banks and Colorado are our favorite destinations other than Disney. We've been to many places in the US and have enjoyed them all, but the three previous mentioned are the ones we continually go back to.

Budget would be an important consideration to know. My favorite trips (taken as a family) have been to Bali (long ways away, but awesome), Hawaii (not quite as far), and various all inclusives in Mexico, Cozumel being my absolute favorite destination. Of course, snorkeling is a favorite with my family, so YMMV on Cozumel. I find all inclusives to be very budget friendly, and was less expensive than Disney. More relaxing too. :-) And, given how long our vacation to Bali was, I'd say that also compared favorably on cost. It was about $1000 per person per week, all in, with travel, accomodations and food. Hard to do Disney for that. :-)

I absolutely fell in love with Montreal and Quebec City when we visited last spring. It was an inexpensive flight, our money went further due to the current exchange rate, and the people were amazing. Plus it's fun to be not far from home but in a French speaking city!

Ireland (we stayed in Dublin but drove allllll over) + London combined trip was awesome and cheaper than a WDW vacation. We loved it!

Any of these would be at the very top of my list!

Branson
Wisconsin Dells
The previously mentioned D.C.
Beach

A few others come to mind, but maybe not with your age mix.
Let me know if you ever come to Wisconsin Dells, I know a few people that own businesses, and I will let you know what to avoid and the best supper club.

Let me know if you ever come to Wisconsin Dells, I know a few people that own businesses, and I will let you know what to avoid and the best supper club.

Thanks, we had a close call with a crummy resort in ‘09, but wound up happy at Great Wolf Lodge :)

My favorite is still the one I haven't done yet:).

Next year we'll be visiting the ex's family in France so that DGD can meet them.

Attending a wedding in Morocco and visiting the country while there. Haven't vacced outside of the Caribbean with elder sister and BIL in decades so this should be good.

Camping on Indian Lake in the Adirondacks.

Planning a winter meet up with Euro and African grrlfriends in whatever central European city we can best all get to with ease. Current contenders are Vienna, Seville, or Geneva. I hope Seville wins but will go anywhere to see this crew altogether again.

It really depends on your interests. Some people need very active vacations and some are happy just relaxing with a nice adult beverage.

I have enjoyed the Great Smoky Mountains, Washington DC, the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (lots of history there, plus BG Williamsburg), the UK (used London as a base and did day trips out of the city to see sites), and I enjoy local beach vacations here in Florida as well.

Im just back from my first visit to Lisbon, Portugal, loved it there and will be back.

Whenever I've seen photos or film of Portugal the past few years it's so stunningly beautiful that it makes me catch my breath. We've definitely got it on our list.

Road trip to Glacier national Park, Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Tetons, Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore
Road trip through the southwest and did Meteor Crater, Painted Desert and Petrified Forest, Santa Fe, Bandelier Nation Monument, Monument Valley (awesome),
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and a couple nights in Vegas.
Both were wonderful trips.
We did similar trips. We love to visit the National Parks and since I have the old folks card (good for life), we can enter any one without paying extra. Just show my card. Smokey Mountains is nice, Acadia National Park is nice (smaller and not as much time needed, but so much to see there). We did a road trip through the Maritimes in Canada when we went to a wedding in NY once - Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick (right on the Bay of Fundy), drove up and around the St Lawrence River and down through Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto and back to the US through Niagara Falls. We really enjoyed that one and would do it again spending more time in Nova Scotia and Quebec. On the way to NY, we drove through Gettysburg, Antietam and the Smokies.

I absolutely fell in love with Montreal and Quebec City when we visited last spring. It was an inexpensive flight, our money went further due to the current exchange rate, and the people were amazing. Plus it's fun to be not far from home but in a French speaking city!

Ireland (we stayed in Dublin but drove allllll over) + London combined trip was awesome and cheaper than a WDW vacation. We loved it!

Did you visit Montreal with children? We're doing that next summer and I'm hoping it'll be amazing.

I've been to Ireland so many times and isn't just a great country? We're not quite ready to take the kids on such a long flight, but I think it's in the cards for DH and I next year.

Vegas, Bermuda, The Maldives, Venice, Torbay, Salcombe, Paris... all amazing places in their own right :)

Just got back from Japan & Hawaii. Was able to throw a dash of Disney in to both trips (Aulani and the Tokyo theme parks)

Short list for our next trips - Australia, Greece, Peru, China

Such a wide open topic. What is the budget and what are your interests? We have had this discussion in our family a lot...what else besides Disney. We struggle to come up with something. Big city vacations like NYC, Boston, etc...have no interest to us.... for a day trip, sure...vacation, no. Beach vacation...as long as there is plenty to do, I'd be bored to tears sitting on a beach 8 hours per day for a week or more.

If I had the money, I'd go tropical of some sort that has plenty of activities...water slides, day trip excursions, etc...

Have you been to Myrtle Beach? It seems like a good fit for your family. You can spend a couple hours on the beach, then spend the rest of the day enjoying the entertainment. If you're not in the mood for a couple hours at the beach, there are plenty of places to visit on a day trip. Renting a home & preparing your own food isn't a problem. There are plenty of homes or condos to rent. I have to admit I'm not a fan of the water there. I lived near the Gulf in Southwest Florida for many years & now live very close to the Atlantic in South Florida. The water isn't clear enough for us, but our extended family, who live in NC, visit MB every year & love playing in the ocean. Although we're not a fan of the water, there's no denying that MB has plenty of things to keep you entertained for a couple weeks.

Considering where you live, Gatlinburg & Pigeon also seem like a good choice for your family. You could rent a cabin that allowed you to prepare your own meals. There's Dollywood, Splash Country, shows, mini-golf, zip-lining, etc. You can also explore the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, visiting Cherokee & take other day trips. Asheville is a great small city that's driveable from there. Near there you have a wide variety of lakes & outdoor activities.

You may have already looked into these options. If not, I thought I'd throw them out there. Considering what you've shared about your family & where you live, these areas seem like good destinations for you. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter