Vacation Tips for Women! :)

While reading through this thread I've noticed a lot of people questioning the practicality of skirts or dresses in the parks, so I thought I'd add my experiences! I've worn skirts and sundresses in the parks quite often, usually pretty short ones, and I've never had a problem with them. Even on the Keys to the Kingdom tour I was in a skirt all day and it was really great for doing so much walking in the heat. While getting on or off rides I usually manage pretty easily (on everything but Space Mountain--Space is the only ride to avoid if you're wearing a skirt without bike shorts or spandex underneath!) and they're really comfortable for walking around the parks on hot days. Sometimes I have to take climbing out of a ride a little slowly and carefully but I'm pretty sure I've never flashed anyone or looked too ridiculous trying to get up modestly. Plus skirts and sundresses are great for looking nice without putting any real effort into your outfit!

Has anyone tried self-waxing? They sell a few different kits at my local drugstore and I've been wondering if it would be a good idea before my next WDW trip so I don't have to worry about shaving while there.

Has anyone tried self-waxing? They sell a few different kits at my local drugstore and I've been wondering if it would be a good idea before my next WDW trip so I don't have to worry about shaving while there.
I have tried it a few times and gotten mixed results. Nads and Parissa make decent strips but they are nothing close to a professional wax. I may try a hard wax kit next time.

i ordered a Baggallini messenger sling bag for next trip. It arrived yesterday and I luv it! Would be perfect anytime you need a hands freee purse!! Parrot green .....is a nice green. I borrowed a friends last time we were at the world and it was great! :love:

Ordered mine last week based on the recommendations from this board. Went with the sand color thinking it maybe a bit cooler to carry around in August. Has not yet arrived and once it does I hope I love it too. Also, going to show my sister to see if it will work for her - her son who is three is not yet potty trained so I am not sure if it is big enough to carry what she needs. Her other option is a backpack.

i ordered a Baggallini messenger sling bag for next trip. It arrived yesterday and I luv it! Would be perfect anytime you need a hands freee purse!! Parrot green .....is a nice green. I borrowed a friends last time we were at the world and it was great! :love:

Thanks Ladies for all the tips! Have read all 81 pages :yay: Now for going and finding all the things I need:rotfl2:

Only read through 2009. Have ordered first round of LUSH products (shampoo bar, Silky Underwear, and peppermint massage bar based on this thread), am looking for more bras my size, plan to get a Diva Cup after the baby comes, and have moleskin and shimmer sunblock on my Disney trip list. Diving back in for more tips. :D

what great tips from everyone! only problem I usually have are blisters on my feet and I can't use moleskin because I'm allergic to the adhesive! any other suggestions?

what great tips from everyone! only problem I usually have are blisters on my feet and I can't use moleskin because I'm allergic to the adhesive! any other suggestions?

1. If you are doing them, stop getting pedicures. Taking off your calouses, etc. will leave you more prone to blisters.
  2. Keep your feet dry! Use spray antiperspirant on them if wearing sandals and change socks during the day if wet or sweaty. Also if using socks, use gold bond foot powder (not a ton but enough to keep moisture away).
  3. Break in your shoes.
  4. Don't wear the same shoes every day
Good luck!

• Divacup (or tampons/pads if that's what you use), pantyliners and baby wipes if Aunt Flo comes to visit
  • Feminine wipes and deo/powder for down there. It's a godsend in Florida heat, trust me... :goodvibes
  • Chafing stick (or similar) + baby powder between legs if you're prone to that (I'm a bit of a chubby bunny)
  • Roll-on deo for sensitive skin under the girls and under tummy rolls (for some ladies...) topped up with baby powder once it's dry to prevent sweating
  • Deo on feet, I also use this to prevent blisters but there are similar brands that offer the same sort of thing
  • Trainers with good support if, like me, you have low arches or are flat footed (footed? Is that a word? :confused: )
  • Comfy cotton short shorts under dresses and skirts for parks, I love wearing dresses in the parks, but I always wear shorts underneath.
  • Spare panties and spare socks in your bag, just in case. I also fold up a small vest top and keep that in my bag too, because I managed to get BBQ sauce all over me...:thumbsup2

I am in agreement with last pp:jumping1: I carry that divacup and a spare pair of socks in my bag all day every day at Disney.... I am prepared for anything that way! However I think I am done with my baggalini.... I have used it for many years, but I actually can't stand the place the buckles on the straps hit my shoulders. No matter how I adjust it, it just ends up hurting my shoulder. I even made a padded strap cover,still no help. So while I love the size, I love the pockets,it's 1/2 way between a purse and a backpack, I can't do it again. It is probably just me, and my size. But in january at Disney,I need a bag with the room for that jacket, some days were warm, some days barely hit 60 degrees.... I am gonna have to figure out what bag I want to carry next trip.....

Hi! Heading to WDW in April, and I'm looking for a good bag! The last times we were there, DH and I shared a CSC San Gil, (made for hiking) and pretty heavy even empty! I was looking into a new bag, (DH probably won't share this time)... and I'm having trouble deciding on the Vera Disney Campus bag ($$$$) or probably the Baggalini Excursion Sling...

Which would you pick? Needs to hold a gallon size freezer bag, a water bottle, wallet, phone (change of clothes for DD) and travel journal (which is 5x8.5")...

ANY suggestions welcome!

I was looking at the VB backpacks..... I like the campus bag, but it looks a bit big,I think the smaller backpack with the little front flap looks more purselike..... I think if I wanted a full size hiking pack, I would get a 'real' sturdy one, not a VB,which is more pretty,useful,for light things. I don't know,what do you all think?

copied your questions

makeup / skincare / tanning? I use spf 12. I tan really easily. for make up down there I either do natural if I'm going to the park or no make up but when going to a nice restraint down there you had to make reservations for I add on just a little bit more make up.

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes? I tend to go during spring and summer so I will normally wear shorts tank top/ t-shirt with tennis shoes. if I go out or go to dinner I put on a dress with a nice pair of sandals ( I choose sandals because you never know if your going back to a park. I don't want my feet to be killing me when I get back from wearing heels)

What are your *essentials* when packing for WDW? tennis shoes, cloths cell and charger, lady products for just incase, make up

How do you manage your hair? :-)rotfl: that florida humidity and heat is so unforgiving! Speaking of...) if I cant handle my hair it gets thrown up into a pony tail

What are your tips for dealing with the heat? always drink lots of water and if you have to go back to the hotel go swim in that nice ice cold water or watch tv in the hotel room

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!? :sad2: I always pack those products for just incase. I will always have one or two on me when im down there at all times

How do you deal with the men folk / children / even other women! :rolleyes: other screaming children is hard to deal with but you kinda just have to turn and let their parents deal with it

How do you plan for your trip? My mom always gets her Disney spells when she wants to go so she will message me and my sister and we look at dates when to go and plan

How do you save money on your vacation? as soon as I find out we are going I start saving right then and there doesn't matter if we go in a year

what are your strategies for the parks / what rides / shows / parades? My mom gets on to a website that shows her how busy the park should be based on last years records I cant think of the name of the site right now. But if it says these parks will be the busiest we choose a less busy park. Now with rides we really want to get on we use fast passes. one of our favorite shows is festival of the lion king and my mom will study those show times when we go to animal kingdom

your strategies for the bus lines and transportation? not to sure on how to ander this one but if I get on to a bus before more people show up and people have to stand I always will give my seat to a kid or the mom or anyone that looks older.

what resorts do you choose and why? I choose port Orleans French quarter because it isn't a far walk to the buses and its small. AND ITS CHEAPER

I know it has been mentioned numerous times, but I just want to also share my enthusiasm for a menstrual cup. It's sort of awkward to bring up in conversation, but I wish someone would have told me about it years before. I have developed allergies and this product is like a miracle for me. It's also super convenient. If you even think you might get your period you can pop it in and be worry free all day.

Somehow I have never had my period at Disney, but it's scheduled to arrive right at the beginning of our upcoming trip. I can just wear the cup and not have to worry about carrying hygiene products all over the world. I don't carry a purse ever (use VB wallet with strap), so the cup is very convenient for me.

My sisters are hesitant to buy a diva cup because they think it's too complicated to use, but even my teen DD was able to figure it out.

As far as hair, I have always just pulled mine up into a ponytail and then braided it. That way it was cooler and wouldn't get frizzy. I never wear my hair up anymore so I am a bit worried how awkward it will look, but it really don't think I will be comfortable wearing it down in the FL summer heat. I'm usually the one taking the pictures and I'd rather go for comfort over style (not always, but at least where a Disney vacation is concerned).

And, I know I'm a nerd, but I have used a fanny pack at Disney many times. It's just so much easier to have everything easily accessible, although with MBs maybe it won't be as much of an issue. (It was too annoying to take off a backpack to get out our key/cards for every ride during evening EMH, for example.) I also just don't find carrying a cross-body bag comfortable for long periods of time.

Mine looks similar to this (but muted colors)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 30
It took a while but I have read this all the way through and there are some really awesome tips and suggestions on here! Here are a couple of things that I wanted to add...

Undergarments:

Let's try again - LOL

Undergarments: I am a well endowed (DD) woman and one of my least favorite things in the world in ****sweat, I also like to feel locked and loaded. I gave numerous sports bras test runs by way of Zumba classes and have found that the sports bras from VS are THE BEST for locking the girls down while not giving that unib*** look and the material wicks away sweat so it doesn't run anywhere. They come in so many cute patterns and colors. The downside is that they take up a lot of room in a suitcase.

Makeup/Hair: I do not wear makeup every day but still feel compelled to bring it with me when I travel just in case. Just in case of what I am not sure but I have it if I need it. I have very thick hair that curls in humidity and after it rains, forget about it. In the humid summers here in Jersey I usually just shower, comb and maybe use some mousse. Then I twist my hair up into a jaw clip that has silicone on the inside to keep it from sliding then spritz with some anti-humidity hairspray (Garnier is a good one) and rock that for the day. In the evening I will take the clip out and my hair is wavy but still damp so it feels good on your neck in the heat. It is also a good starting point for an evening style with a headband or cute barrette.

Aunt Flo:

I keep forgetting you can't tab here :)

Aunt Flo: My sister works at on OB/GYN and has skipped her placebo week many many times to avoid getting her period and has always had success. Me, I just let it flow to expel the demons :tongue:

Foot care: Bandaid makes an awesome product just for blisters. It is kind of like a silicone pad that you put over a blister and it protects it from friction and moisture - they are fabulous!!! I carry them in my gym bag at all times. To prevent blisters I make sure to keep my feet dry and bring supplies as needed (extra socks, etc.) At then end of a long day on your feet nothing feels better than a spritz of Earth Therapeutics Tea tree foot spray. They also make a balm that is in a big chapstick like tube which I also love. I can sometimes find these at Marshalls but always at Kohls and Ulta.

One last thing, to refresh in the parks Dove make a dry cloth that you can wet and it foams up, these are excellent for face washing and so easy to carry with you.

This is kind of trip related, and you ladies have had some great suggestions/advice so far. Has anyone used the Nerium cream and had positive results? And Please don't PM me trying to solicit it to me. I have someone to buy it from, just want opinions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter