Vacation planning with disabilities/am I missing anything

WonderlandisReality

DIS Veteran
Should preface that until this planned trip, we've only done regional camping trips. I'm a little (ok, a lot) type A.

Been reading/asking questions/ and taking notes from this board. Everything is so helpful. Here's where I am at with plans...but am I overlooking anything obvious? Should I do anything different?

Me (the mom): I had corrective surgery for scoliosis when I was a child. It wasn't entirely successful. I still have a severe lumbar curve with osteoarthritis. Mild CHF. Moderate allergic asthma. Bilateral moderate hearing loss.
Oldest daughter (8): NF 1 with orthopedic issues with feet and lower legs, Seizures, severe vision loss, severe unilateral hearing loss, cardiac issues, and global developmental delays.
Youngest daughter (7): Microcephaly, severe allergic asthma, multiple psychiatric disorders with self-injurious behaviors and stimming. Tourettes, and global developmental delays.

Plans:
Before we even go: Practice line waiting an local amusement parks, increase my personal endurance (now up to 15 miles daily on stationary bike), manage expectations/prepare kids by viewing POV ride videos on YouTube. Practicing measuring height for sensory child.
Book ADA room for hearing accessibility and wheelchair access to room. Bring kids pediatric adaptive stroller. Plan longer stay to allow for slower pace. Take mid day breaks. Use personalized touring plans. Character meals in lieu of (some) character interactions in parks. Plan for no-park days. Bring cooling apparatus for rescue seizure medication. Request stroller as a wheelchair tag and daily captioning device from guest services. Become familiar with parks "quiet locations." Budget for ride-share services Lyft/Minnie Vans in case buses not a good option in the moment for youngest child. Plan for qualified respite mid trip for 1-2 days of assistance or on-resort child care. Bring travel bed for youngest child. Cooling towels. Personal misting fans. Appropriate footwear to accommodate AFOs.

And then all the usual prep and packing for a Disney Vacation...

Am I missing anything?

Perhaps requesting a deep cleaning of the room?

I’d also be tempted to stay at a monorail resort if a focus is the MK, and likely the Contemporary because it’s either a walk or the next monorail stop when leaving the MK.

You could move over to the BW/YC/BC for Epcot/HS.

I realize there are significant budget implications, but it may be beneficial.

I hope you & your girls have an excellent trip. It sounds like you are managing your needs & those of your daughters in a very thoughtful way.
Will it be just the 3 of you? If you have extra hands, eyes & ears that are able to help, definitely take advantage of it.
I can recommend a quiet spot in the MK. As you are coming down Main Street walking towards the castle about a third of the way down on the right is a little courtyard with tables. It is quiet & almost always free of people.

Should preface that until this planned trip, we've only done regional camping trips. I'm a little (ok, a lot) type A.

Been reading/asking questions/ and taking notes from this board. Everything is so helpful. Here's where I am at with plans...but am I overlooking anything obvious? Should I do anything different?

Me (the mom): I had corrective surgery for scoliosis when I was a child. It wasn't entirely successful. I still have a severe lumbar curve with osteoarthritis. Mild CHF. Moderate allergic asthma. Bilateral moderate hearing loss.
Oldest daughter (8): NF 1 with orthopedic issues with feet and lower legs, Seizures, severe vision loss, severe unilateral hearing loss, cardiac issues, and global developmental delays.
Youngest daughter (7): Microcephaly, severe allergic asthma, multiple psychiatric disorders with self-injurious behaviors and stimming. Tourettes, and global developmental delays.

Plans:
Before we even go: Practice line waiting an local amusement parks, increase my personal endurance (now up to 15 miles daily on stationary bike), manage expectations/prepare kids by viewing POV ride videos on YouTube. Practicing measuring height for sensory child.
Book ADA room for hearing accessibility and wheelchair access to room. Bring kids pediatric adaptive stroller. Plan longer stay to allow for slower pace. Take mid day breaks. Use personalized touring plans. Character meals in lieu of (some) character interactions in parks. Plan for no-park days. Bring cooling apparatus for rescue seizure medication. Request stroller as a wheelchair tag and daily captioning device from guest services. Become familiar with parks "quiet locations." Budget for ride-share services Lyft/Minnie Vans in case buses not a good option in the moment for youngest child. Plan for qualified respite mid trip for 1-2 days of assistance or on-resort child care. Bring travel bed for youngest child. Cooling towels. Personal misting fans. Appropriate footwear to accommodate AFOs.

And then all the usual prep and packing for a Disney Vacation...

Am I missing anything?

You have been *planning*!!! The only thing I can add off the top of my head is while I think it's great that you are working on your stamina with the stationary bike (and GO YOU!!! That's an awesome accomplishment!) remember that the *average* Disney World Guest will walk between 3 & 10 miles per day. So, make sure that you can stay on your feet for a full "Disney Day", which could (in theory) be from RD (rope drop) to fireworks, or at least 12 hours, and several miles of walking. If AFOs are in use, remember to use BraceSox (or something similar), and possibly bring along a clean, dry pair (or two) to change into during the day. Because you will have to go through Security at each Park, I always pack any clothing or medical items into zipper top bags, and smush out all the air that I can; that way they can see what's in there without it being handled unnecessarily. If anyone has bathroom issues, you can pack a set of clean clothes in zipper top bags as well.

I agree that Contemporary might be a good choice if you will be primarily at MK. And that may be something to consider - if you know that your family will be returning in the future to WDW, you could consider making this first trip a Magic Kingdom only trip - and if that might be helpful, then introduce the idea that on our next trip we will stay at a hotel right next to Epcot (like Boardwalk) and then another trip we will stay at AKL for AK, and finally (once construction is done?) maybe CBR or Coronado for a Hollywood Studios trip, giving you the quickest and closest Resort for each Park. In theory, you could also "Resort hop" on this one trip and accomplish the same thing, but that might be too much stimulation. Shoot, I don't Resort hop, and I'm a full-grown adult human; I do better at WDW when I am "settled" LOL

One other thing to be aware of: Some WDW Resort rooms are very heavily themed. This is great - on paper - but in real life, it can become "overload" as there is no place to escape all of the "Disney-ness" of it all. If your kids will do better in a low-theme room, there are plenty of options available (from Contemporary, to OKW, POFQ's remodeled rooms, Coronado's remodeled rooms, etc.) and especially avoid the "Princess" rooms at POR or the "Pirate" rooms at CBR. Your girls may really enjoy the Cabins at Fort Wilderness - although it takes longer to get there and back from the Parks, it is very peaceful and quiet, and there are bunk beds, mom! (Some rooms at WL have bunk beds too, btw)

I think that's all... you really seem quite prepared! I hope you and your girls have the best possible trip! :)

Great start! I would add to include apps on their phones that might help with waiting as well as use My Disney Experience and any other app you like / prefer that assists with telling you wait and line times while you are in the park. That way you can adjust and plan your day during your day.

Great start! I would add to include apps on their phones that might help with waiting as well as use My Disney Experience and any other app you like / prefer that assists with telling you wait and line times while you are in the park. That way you can adjust and plan your day during your day.
This is a great idea disney just added a new app that has game for you to do while you wait in line it was fun

This is a great idea disney just added a new app that has game for you to do while you wait in line it was fun
The app is called play Disney if you want you can download it before your trip something’s you can play from home

The app is called play Disney if you want you can download it before your trip something’s you can play from home

We have been playing with the new Play Disney app here at home; it really is a lot of fun to play the trivia games and we LOVE listening to the music! :)

We have been playing with the new Play Disney app here at home; it really is a lot of fun to play the trivia games and we LOVE listening to the music! :)
me too I love the trivia and I might have fallen asleep listing to the EPCOT music this afternoon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter