Vacation Package - Resort Change (lower total) 20 days from arrival - Change fee ?

SpykeYs

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I have All-Star Movies booked for this upcoming March 5th for 9 nights in a preferred room as this was the only room type available for the last 3-4 months. Today, I see a standard room in All-Star Music which would make us save 150$

I have used the CHANGE RESERVATION button on MDE and when I make the changes and check out, I see the following

Previously Paid-$4,339.38
Refund Amount-$149.82

If I proceed, will I really be refunded 149$ or Disney will substract a change fee. I seem to remember there is a 50$ change for vacation package is less 30 days, especially if the new price is lower.

Thank you :)

Disney customer service is pretty good (well... I mean, compared to notoriously bad things like phone providers); I'd call them.

You will get a refund, but I would think about it before changing. Take a look at the maps of standard at AS Music vs preferred at AS Movies. We've stayed at both, and the walk to the busses and the main lobby seemed considerably longer at Music, due to the resort layout as well. Our family also likes the Movies theming better, but that's secondary. If this is not an issue for you, save the 150.

That’s not true. We took days off of our trip last year and we’re charged I think a $75 fee. It was at least $50.

That’s not true. We took days off of our trip last year and we’re charged I think a $75 fee. It was at least $50.
Wrong. From Disney: "When you book a Disney Vacation Package, which includes a Disney Resorts Collection hotel reservation and Theme Park Tickets, you can cancel your reservation without penalty 30 or more days before your arrival date. But reservations canceled inside the 30-day window are assessed a $200 cancellation fee - which basically means that you will be refunded any monies paid but won’t receive your deposit back. Finally, if you cancel the day before your arrival, the full price of your package is non-refundable!"

It wouldn't make sense for Disney to charge a change fee. Now if you change and the rates are different than when you booked, you'll pay the delta. I can't find anything online that says Disney will charge a "change fee".

Found this at a third-party site:
Modifying a Walt Disney World reservation is much easier than canceling it! You can make changes to your reservation as long as you do so more than seven days before the first use of the reservation. If you need to make changes within seven days of the first use of the reservation, you will be charged a change fee.

I can't find anything on Disney's site. Regardless - you'll get what Disney is telling you'll get as a refund...they won't take anything back from that amount.

Found this at a third-party site:
Modifying a Walt Disney World reservation is much easier than canceling it! You can make changes to your reservation as long as you do so more than seven days before the first use of the reservation. If you need to make changes within seven days of the first use of the reservation, you will be charged a change fee.

I can't find anything on Disney's site. Regardless - you'll get what Disney is telling you'll get as a refund...they won't take anything back from that amount.
Yes, we were within the 30 days. And I think they did us a favor by reducing the fee when our TA plead our case for us. Or maybe it's $200 if you cancel but less if you just make a reduction.

Fees only kick in when you cancel the reservation.
This is incorrect. There is a change fee if a package is changed within 30 days of arrival. Often it gets waived. A room-only booking has more lenient terms. This is for changes; cancellation is different with a different fee amount.

This snip is taken directly off a booking window:
1676469934043.png

and the same is noted here on Dreams Unlimited's website:
Change Fees and Changes to Reservations Made Prior to Guest Arrival
  • Changes to Reservation - Changes to reservation, including but not limited to change in travel dates, length of stay, party size or hotel accommodations, are subject to availability and the prices applicable at the time the change is requested and guest is responsible for paying any increase in price resulting from the change. In addition, changes made 30 days or less prior to guest arrival are also subject to a change fee of $50 per package plus any change fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers.
  • If changes are made to the package including, but not limited to, changes to travel dates, package is subject to the Terms and Conditions applicable to packages at the time the change to the reservation is made and, in the case of changes to travel dates, pricing applicable to the new travel dates.
  • Hotels and/or suppliers do not permit changes in certain situations.
  • Disney reserves the right to restrict changes to any reservation.

@SpykeYs -- if you take that change all the way through and it still says refund of $149.xx that's what you'll get back. Maybe the fee doesn't kick in if you make the change yourself online; I know often folks who call to make a change will be told no fee or the fee is waived. Not always but often enough.

Yes, we were within the 30 days. And I think they did us a favor by reducing the fee when our TA plead our case for us. Or maybe it's $200 if you cancel but less if you just make a reduction.

I totally remember there being a 50 dollar change fee inside the 30 days, it would be waived if the change resulted in a higher cost (adding a person to a package within 30 days).

I'm guessing there's some sort of threshold where the penalty applies. We lopped off almost half of a 9 day trip (it was at the height of Omicron). But maybe if your refund is less than X, they won't apply it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter