• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

V & A's Dining Room or Chef's Table??

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
I was luckily able to book the Chef's table at V & A's for August, for my parents, for their 45th anniversary. My dad especially enjoys cooking and my mom loves great food, and I think they would enjoy it.

However, now I am second guessing myself, and wondering if they might prefer the dining room for a more formal experience.

I am thinking about booking the dining room 90 days out (about mid May) and then offering them a choice for their anniversary, which is June 9. Then I will cancel one or the other.

Since our trip is in August, it would still leave plenty of time to cancel.

Does this sound okay, or is it too much like "cheating"?

Julia

I do not think that it sounds like cheating. I am sure that people "double book" all of the time. If your parents love cooking, I would imagine that they would be really excited to eat at the Chef's Table. We are dining at the Chef's Table for our anniversary and I also debated about it not being as formal or romantic as the dining room. In the end, the pragmatic part of me who loves food and cooking won out over the romantic.

Book away and be guilt free!

Although I've eaten at V&A's 3 times, I've never had the pleasure of the chef's table. If DH and I go this summer, I would MUCH prefer the chef's table. He loves to cook and the chef's table would be so much more memorable and romantic--remembering the visit weeks or years later!

I've had the pleasure of eating at the Chef's tables a few times....and it's romantic in a different way...the dining room has candlelight and pianos, the chef's table has much brighter lighting, and the sound of frying, water running, etc (although it is still quiet enough to have a nice dinner conversation)....The Chef's table area is separated from the kitchen by a low decorative fence, and it's quite nice.. The Service is the same....The least romantic part of the Chef's table is when you have to go to the Ladies room, and have to walk out thru the kitchen(On possibly slightly slippery tile floor), and thru the waiter's service area and dining room to get there. Plus the last 2 times we ate at the Chef's table - the maitre'd brought back diners from the dining room to check-out the table (I guess they had asked about it?) (One diner actually came up to my Husband and smacked my DH in the back and made some "comic" remark - as if he was an old friend or something - it was sort of embarassing - very awkward)- so If that might offend you, you might want to mention to the Maitre'd that you would appreciate it if he didn't do tours during your dinner

***Note - Don't get me wrong - I still LOVE, LOVE LOVE the Chef's table and will go back in a heartbeat - but now I wear more practical footwear (flats) for the treks to the Powder Room (darn wine pairing :p ) and will ask the Maitre'd to be left alone...)

As for the cooking - yes, you can see them cooking - but they are very busy and usually don't stop to chat (it's not like foodtv in other words) - the saute /fry cooks are perpendicular to you, and the final plate prep is done behind them - so you can't really see it being done..... The desserts are done in another room entirely, so you don't see those..... In fact the first area in front of your table is the prep table so you'll see them meticulously prepping veggies for the next dinner seating - that sort of thing......So don't go expecting a dooking show - you'll still need to fill hours of time having a romantic dinner conversation ;) (Of course, with all of that yummy food - it's easy to find something to talk about).((You could stand at the little fence and watch them - but I am usually too busy eating)

The Chef - or one of his assistant-chefs will come out and talk to you with each course (to explain what it is they are serving you) - and are happy to answer questions at that time .

As for what you parents would prefer - so ahead and double book the dining room - and then ask them!! I don't think it's cheating at all - it is their anniversary so they might as well be happy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter