V&A Jitters!

Kestryl

DIS Veteran
So I just scored a reservation for the Queen Victoria Room at Victoria and Albert’s, and to borrow a line from Charlotte (Princess and the Frog), “I swear, I’m sweatin’ like a sinner in church.” I did not expect to get this- it was a reservation finder miracle.

1. Dress code: Husband is planning to wear a suit. I have a variety of short dresses (knee length) that I think would work well, but the only long dress I have is a bridesmaid dress. And my wedding dress, I guess! Would a short dress be out of place?

2. Menu: I think the QVR uses the 10 course menu only- is that correct? (I saw one report that says the menus between the two dining rooms were the same, but that seemed to be the aberration.)

3. Drinks: If we don’t want the wine pairing or the no proof pairing… what are the options? We do drink, but my husband doesn’t drink wine, and I think the pairing would be too much for me. We’d honestly probably be happy with just water.

4. Ambience: I’m feeling a little intimidated by the QVR being, like, 4 couples a night. Anyone have some comparisons between the two dining rooms? Can we still hear the harp music? Should I try to switch if that option pops up?

5. Length: How long is it really? Someone says 3 hours, another 4, another 5…

6. Getting there: I heard valet is included with this- is that true? We do plan on driving.

Anything else I should know?

ETA

7. Money: Do they take Disney gift cards as payment? And what’s the going rate for “fine dining” tipping? This will be far and away the nicest place we’ve ever eaten in the US.

Last edited:
So I just scored a reservation for the Queen Victoria Room at Victoria and Albert’s, and to borrow a line from Charlotte (Princess and the Frog), “I swear, I’m sweatin’ like a sinner in church.” I did not expect to get this- it was a reservation finder miracle.

1. Dress code: Husband is planning to wear a suit. I have a variety of short dresses (knee length) that I think would work well, but the only long dress I have is a bridesmaid dress. And my wedding dress, I guess! Would a short dress be out of place?

2. Menu: I think the QVR uses the 10 course menu only- is that correct? (I saw one report that says the menus between the two dining rooms were the same, but that seemed to be the aberration.)

3. Drinks: If we don’t want the wine pairing or the no proof pairing… what are the options? We do drink, but my husband doesn’t drink wine, and I think the pairing would be too much for me. We’d honestly probably be happy with just water.

4. Ambience: I’m feeling a little intimidated by the QVR being, like, 4 couples a night. Anyone have some comparisons between the two dining rooms? Can we still hear the harp music? Should I try to switch if that option pops up?

6. Getting there: I heard valet is included with this- is that true? We do plan on driving.

ETA

7. Money: Do they take Disney gift cards as payment? And what’s the going rate for “fine dining” tipping? This will be far and away the nicest place we’ve ever eaten in the US.
Congrats on scoring the reservation and moving on to the finals, LOL.

First, what to wear: DH will be fine in his suit and you in your short dress. A special occasion long MOB, bridal, pageant or cotillion dress is not necessary. Any of them can remain in mothballs in the back of your closet waiting to justify the cost 😜. Once, DGD and I wore (non matching) Lily Pulitzer dresses and sandals. The next time she wore Pulitzer again (so cute but relaxed on the young) and I wore an outfit from Tommy Bahama. Just think resort formal and you’ll be fine.

QVR is wonderful! It’s a wood paneled room dominated by a picture of the royal couple, I think. Otherwise it’s just Victoria posing. The space is set for four or five tables- it’s quite spacious but not intimidating. The staff does a first rate job of putting you at ease.
It differs from the main room by the layout of the room, the harpist, and the number of guests. The door will be closed but you will still hear the music.

I need to check the menu (each guest will be given one as a souvenir) and notes to answer some of your other questions so will return to this post in a bit.

We have only been once and that was in the big room so I can't answer to the QVR but I can answer some of the other. PP answered the dress code question. No formal attire needed, just a nice dress, I actually wore a sundress that I wear to work and a pair of nice sandals with a sweater. My son wore a suite jacket and tie.

We used an Uber there and back since we knew we were doing the wine pairing. In hindsight only one of us should have done it, it was way too much. Yes, you can order a glass of wine or an individual refreshing adult beverage. You can also have soft drinks, or coffee or water or sparkling water or whatever you want.

If memory serves, it took us about 3 hours. It's a lot of food.

Yes, they will valet your car.

I guess it could be a tad overwhelming if you aren't used to fine dining but otherwise it's fine. They are really great about reading the crowd there. It isn't stuffy, it's nice. My son and I were joking about something, I can't remember what and the waiter happened to come to the table at the time, we just couldn't help himself and snickered under his breath. That, of course, got my son started and the two of them ended up sort of quietly going back and forth the rest of the night. He read the table and knew we were the playful types.

Part 2

I thought we paid in advance for the meal but might be wrong. We were staying on property so never used the valet service and probably signed for the tips but maybe who knows used a Disney card; have at other eateries in DWD so don’t think this restaurant differs. You can call the restaurant customer service rep and ask; very helpful.
As for wine service, we never opted for the paired matching simply ordered individual wines that we liked. DGD asked for and received an imaginatively garnished Shirley Temple that per her request wasn’t overly sweet (yeah, she’s had her share of fine dining in life. Her first taste of caviar ( an optional add-on) was had here and the next table almost applauded when she didn’t spit it out. Made a date with another doting grandmother in the ladies room to introduce her grandson in 20 years time 😂).

Looking back thru my notes you can choose how many courses you want so discuss that with the restaurant when they call. I believe the price of the meal varies by how many courses you want.

Tipping: this is a personal choice. We were happy with the service and meal in general so probably opted for somewhere between 20% - 25%.

I hope you have a wonderful time and are left with memories as vivid as my own. This was an experience quite different from other multiple starred restaurants we’ve eaten at. Definitely coated with pixie dust.

The QVR is such and experience. There are four tables of four. Some just have a couple at them. You will be lovely in a short dress no worries there. A few days before the restaurant will contact you. We received an e-mail and phone call some just get a phone call. At that time you can discuss any allergies, likes and dislikes and ask questions in a very comfortable manner. We are not fans of organ meats so we let then know as I had found them on various menus on the internet. We had one or two other things that one or the other of us didn't care for so we let them know that as well. We felt that if we were paying that kind of money we wanted to be able to enjoy each course. With the few items we also felt that we were not stifling the chef's creativity.

We did the 10 course meal with shared wine pairing. I don't think you can share anymore. You can also order any other adult beverage you would like. It was a long meal 3.5 - 4 hours. You have that table for the entire night, so only four groups in there for the night which made it more relaxing.

Valet was included just have them validate.

Keep the QVR and have an amazing time.

I often wear a cocktail length dress at V&A. It's perfectly acceptable.

I know that the last three times we went (pre-COVID) it was a 10-ish course menu. They make a menu for you specifically, so it will depend on what the chef wants to do. Sometimes that 10 courses includes the bread service in between courses and sometimes it includes the amuse bouche and sometimes it's 10 courses plus.

I'm allergic to seafood and a few other items, so they modify the menu for me (you'll each get a personalized menu). They also may offer additional upcharge items too. Some are offered to everyone for the night (often a seafood like Chilean sea bass though obviously they don't offer it to me or and upgrade to Miyazaki beef) and others are customized. DH has had the caviar several times there and once asked if they could do it for him, so they check his records and usually offer him an upcharge caviar course.

They will call and ask you a couple of days prior to your reservation about food allergies, intolerances or things you don't like. I personally only ever tell them about what I absolutely can't eat because I've eaten things there that I don't think I like - and generally still don't - but in the hands of a really good chef, it can be delicious. Best mushroom pasta I've ever had and I loathe mushrooms. Won't eat them anywhere else but V&A. Also, when you get there, if there's something on your menu that you simply cannot stand, you can let them know and they'll try to accommodate or modify. I've also had them ask at the last minute if the chef could add some bison to a vegetarian course they had listed on my menu because they just got some in (I said yes).
You can stick with water if you want (they have a water menu which I personally think is over the top but DH actually does like certain mineral waters so he might get one). Even if you don't want to do the no proof pairing, they will still have those items on offer too if you prefer. Ask them what they might be able to offer and tell them what you do and don't like and how much you want to drink (alcoholic or non) and they can customize something for you.

No need to be intimidated. They stagger each of the seatings and you aren't seated that close together. Honestly, you don't even notice other people. And, yes, you can hear the harp music from the other room. We've done the main dining room probably 7-8 times and QVR 3-4 times and I'd have a hard time moving back to the main dining room (though I'd take that over no reservation!).

It largely depends on you. We've taken up to 5 hours, but that's how we like to dine. But I'd say no less than 3 hours. It's an experience, not just a meal. They give you a lot of time between courses to digest, finish your drink, and spend time with your dining companion. For us, it's partly about spending time with each other doing something that we enjoy.

Yes it is. They'll also call down to the valet for you when you leave the restaurant.

Don't sweat it. They'll treat you well and aren't stuffy at all. It's just a really lovely relaxing evening with great food and service.

From someone who thinks fine dining, is having a burger on a plate vs in a wrapper.......what is QVR? I see the words but what does that mean. Only 4 couples per night? If true, it sound if you are lucky enough to get that, you should buy a few lottery tickets. Sounds like winning the lottery would be easier.

From someone who thinks fine dining, is having a burger on a plate vs in a wrapper.......what is QVR? I see the words but what does that mean. Only 4 couples per night? If true, it sound if you are lucky enough to get that, you should buy a few lottery tickets. Sounds like winning the lottery would be easier.
QVR is the Queen Victoria Room, a smaller room off the main dining room at V&A. As you’ve read, there are only four tables of four places each in that room, and the menu is a bit elevated compared to the main dining room.

The other dining area is the Chef’s Table in the kitchen, an even more personalized experience than the other two areas of V&A, and booking it truly is like winning the lottery.

ETA

1. Suit is great. Any type of dress should be fine

2. 10 Course menu yes, and its worth it for the a5.

3. You can order off the regular drink menu. Don't need to get the pairing. Can drink whatever you want

4.Never been in QVR so can't answer this.

5. Expect around 3-1/2 to 4 hours with the 10 course.

6. Can't help here

7.They do take gift cards as payment. As long as its Visa/Amex/Etc. I do believe they take Disney gift cards. Tip is probably 20 percent. As an example. 2 people with QV menu is $750. 2 people wine pairing is $400. Total $1150 plus tax, which is less than other states. That is around 230 tip for 20 percent. If not wine pairing, it will be smaller tip at 20 percent

I just ate at the Dining Room last week so a bit different from QVR perhaps but anyway...

1. Dress code - I just wore a dress and didn't feel out of place at all

2. I think so, in the Dining Room I was offered the choice between the regular Dining Room menu or the extended menu (with sea bass and wagyu) and I think it was mentioned at some point that QVR only gets the extended menu.

3. I heard the people at the table next to me asking for diet coke... So I guess it's just whatever you want to drink really!

4. Can't help with harp music/etc in QVR

5. I took 4 hours to get through the extended menu, but I think I was going pretty slowly. The table next to me was seated later than me and done before I was (though not sure which menu they went for). I guess the length probably depends on which menu and how long you take to eat each course...

6. I just took a Lyft there/back. But the email I had from them says that complimentary valet parking at the GF is available.

7. Not sure either but I found out that they will accept Apple Pay. Although paying with Apple Pay involves following them to their register which is located in the kitchen which feels completely different from being in the dining room! I tipped approx 20% in cash.

They emailed me about 2 weeks in advance to ask about dietary restrictions and names/titles/celebrations. Though from my dining experience I don't think they really noted my reply about names/titles/celebrations. I'm not too fussed about these just that I thought it was interesting that they asked specifically about it but didn't note it! Also I'm not in the USA so perhaps that's why I got an email rather than a call.

As you’ve read, there are only four tables of four places each in that room, and the menu is a bit elevated compared to the main dining room.
I think the tables only seat two people each, although perhaps they could add chairs. But I've never seen more than two at each table.

Also I'm not in the USA so perhaps that's why I got an email rather than a call.
I'm in Canada and they have typically called me although last time I think I got an e-mail instead. I'm in their database, and they just asked if there was anything to add to my recorded allergies (and they quoted them to me).

Though from my dining experience I don't think they really noted my reply about names/titles/celebrations.
They've always personalized our menus with our names, and once when it was our anniversary they put that on the menu (admittedly, that was a very long time ago, like 20 years ago).

Now that they've gone to only booking 60 days out, we haven't been able to get a reservation on our last few trips, though I didn't try too hard since we had lots of other priorities. But I'm really, really hoping to get one in the QVR on our next trip 🤞(as soon as I work out when that will be).

1. Dress code: Husband is planning to wear a suit. I have a variety of short dresses (knee length) that I think would work well, but the only long dress I have is a bridesmaid dress. And my wedding dress, I guess! Would a short dress be out of place
A short dress is fine.

QVR guests only have the choice of the extended menu. I don't recall exactly how many courses ours was, but it was around 9 or 10.

They will reach out in advance of your reservation to discuss allergies, intolerances, and preferences. Be candid and specific with them, but also try to keep an open mind when it comes to preferences. As others have said, they're able to make certain unfavorable-to-you ingredients taste delicious and unexpected.

They have an extensive water menu of different mineral and sparkling waters.

The no-proof pairing is brilliant, I would strongly recommend it for at least one of you (you can share it).

Their cocktails are also phenomenal. I would recommend working with your server team to find the right pacing and pairings if that potentially interests you.

Try not to feel intimidated by QVR. The other three couples in the room are well spaced from you and your meal will be about you and your husband.

The night we were in the QVR, the main dining room was unusually loud according to the QVR server team and we couldn't really hear the harp because of the guests in the main dining room. But we were also thankful we were in QVR and not in the main dining room for the same reason.

To that point, the biggest risk of the QVR room is if one of the other couples lacks an 'inside voice'. It is a quiet environment so loud QVR-mates will be noticeable.

I think ours was just around 4 hours. And it was a lot of food and we needed all of that 4 hours.

Valet is included.

We chose to ride the monorail from the Poly because we didn't know how much, if any, alcohol we would drink. We knew we were going to do at least one no-proof pairing plus maybe cocktails. We ended up each having 2-3 cocktails and were glad we didn't drive. More than that, we were glad we didn't have the pressure of driving home to change our ordering and enjoyment in the moment.

Upon reflection, we decided that we'll only visit V&A in future visits while staying at Grand Flo.

I don't know about gift cards, but I can speak to our approach to tipping for fine dining. For reference: we tip 20-23% for good service at most non-fine dining places and tip 18% or lower for unsatisfactory service.

As the service tends to be better at fine dining than at most restaurants, we tip more as a percentage. At Napa Rose and Takumi-Tei, we will usually tip in the 25-27% range. For exemplary service at either (such as the Water Room at Takumi-Tei, or exceptional service at Napa Rose), we'll go as high as 35%. IIRC, we tipped roughly 35% in the QVR at V&A. It sounds like we're outliers here, however.

You will be fine in a suit and nice dress. I did a jacket and nice shirt no tie and my wife did a nice knee length dress. It’s a great excuse to dress up and it’s nice to see there that everyone adheres to the dress code. I understand it’s Disney but i find it a little off putting when people don’t at least try and respect the dress code at the fancier restaurants but that’s enough of my soapbox

We did the main dining room but were offered the queens room menu as well. We didn’t want the Queens room wanted to hear the music and watch other peoples experience as well, but that’s a matter of personal choice. If you prefer a more intimate setting stay at the queens room. Although the main dining room feels very intimate also, like I said it’s a matter of what you want

I drank Diet Coke and my wife did the wine paring. She is not a big drinker but said the pairing was excellent just the explanation of the different wines and where and how they are made was very interesting. You get a small pour of each so it’s not too much. We tried to find some of the wines they served locally and apparently they are quite hard to find so they give you your value we were told by the local wine store.

Our experience was closer to 5 hours, which by that time I was getting antsy but we were taking our time and enjoying it. They pace accordingly to you

Anything you want or need if it’s possible they will get for you the service is second to none.

Go enjoy it and have fun it’s a great experience

FYI if you like that type of dining we have done Monsieur Paul a few times. Similar but not as fancy as V&A as it’s in Epcot so dress isn’t enforced and about half the price however a very nice meal as well

Thank you for this thread. It answered a lot of questions I had about the restaurant as well. I have a follow-up question on the dress code: would dress pants with a dress shirt and tie be sufficient (or seem underdressed/out of place) or is a coat required? Trying to figure all the packing that would be needed if I went with a full suit and nice shoes.

I know the website itself just says semi-formal/formal attire to respect the restaurant's elegant and opulent aesthetic. I'm just curious everyone's experience with it lately. I know they used to be very strict about coats in the past.

Last edited:
Thank you for this thread. It answered a lot of questions I had about the restaurant as well. I have a follow-up question on the dress code: would dress pants with a dress shirt and tie be sufficient (or seem underdressed/out of place) or is a coat required? Trying to figure all the packing that would be needed if I went with a full suit and nice shoes.
Coats are no longer required. Honestly all of Disney has gotten relaxed and that’s kind of extended to V&A. We went last march with my mom to chef’s table and I wasn’t in a full suit and my mom was in blouse and dressy pants (nice but not over the top by any means). No one said anything about what we she wearing.

Honestly I’d recommend wearing what makes you feel comfortable between suit and just a dress shirt.

I strongly urge you to read the existing dress code and call if you have any further questions.

1. Shorter dress will be fine, as long as it's not a sundress or too casual.

2. QVR does only use the larger menu, which is usually 10 courses.

3. There is a full drink menu in addition to the pairings. Cocktails, beer, wine, soda, and bottled water are all available by the glass.

4. I wouldn't be intimidated by the QVR, think of it more as a private experience. The wait staff will leave you alone in between courses so you can just talk with your husband and not need to worry about outside noise or interference.

5. The QVR will be about 4 hours.

6. Yes, but the tip is not.

7. Not sure about Disney gift cards.

I strongly urge you to read the existing dress code and call if you have any further questions.
The website is not very clear, it just says "Guests are expected to dress accordingly in semi-formal/formal attire that respects the restaurant’s elegant and opulent aesthetic."

Is there a more detailed dress code you can link?

The website is not very clear, it just says "Guests are expected to dress accordingly in semi-formal/formal attire that respects the restaurant’s elegant and opulent aesthetic."

Is there a more detailed dress code you can link?
I think it’s essentially no jeans, no shorts, no swimwear, no graphic tees/foul language

Edit:
This is what they sent me last March.

“Victoria & Albert’s is an intimate, upscale dining experience. Guests are expected to dress accordingly in semi-formal/formal attire that respects the restaurant’s elegant and opulent aesthetic. While dress jackets are no longer required, we do require long-sleeved, collared shirts.

No jeans, t-shirts, shorts, capris, flip flops, sneakers or casual wear please.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter