UY help for Direct VGF

disney_mood

Earning My Ears
Hey guys! So I’ve decided to buy direct into VGF and the only thing that I am confused about (still) is UY. I know it depends on when we plan to travel and also there’s some factors for possibly losing points if having to reschedule and it’s close to the UY (maybe?not sure if I got that right).

As of right now, I see myself wanting to travel around winter break with the kids. But also, possibly the beginning of June as a backup or if I need to use less points for any reason. My guide said a UY of December would probably be the best if I want to travel around Christmas. Any thoughts? Anyone who can clarify the UY for me will be my savior. I understand it to an extent but the banking/borrowing/possible losing points isn’t clear to me yet as it pertains to UY. Thanks in advance. 🥰

Hey guys! So I’ve decided to buy direct into VGF and the only thing that I am confused about (still) is UY. I know it depends on when we plan to travel and also there’s some factors for possibly losing points if having to reschedule and it’s close to the UY (maybe?not sure if I got that right).

As of right now, I see myself wanting to travel around winter break with the kids. But also, possibly the beginning of June as a backup or if I need to use less points for any reason. My guide said a UY of December would probably be the best if I want to travel around Christmas. Any thoughts? Anyone who can clarify the UY for me will be my savior. I understand it to an extent but the banking/borrowing/possible losing points isn’t clear to me yet as it pertains to UY. Thanks in advance. 🥰
Just curious what month/timeframe winter break is for you? Dec? Jan? Feb?

I am glad you've decided VGF will work well for you!

Your guide seems to be giving helpful information offering you an appropriate UY based on wanting to travel over winter break AND/OR June. While some will insist a UY doesn't matter, as you mentioned, it provides an extra insurance policy. A December UY has a banking deadline of July 31st. That means if you booked a trip in December with your current allotment of points and needed to cancel you could push all those points to a June reservation within the same UY. If you happened to also need to cancel June, you could bank all of those points since that reservation also fell before July 31st. This assumes you cancelled 31+ days prior to check-in and points did not go into holding. Some other caveats would be this only works on current UY allotment of points. You cannot bank already banked points OR borrowed points. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it's a nice safety net.

Holding points come into play if you cancel 30 days or less before check-in. When you have holding points they are stuck in the current UY regardless if they were previously bankable. You can only book on them within the next 60 days and that's on a rolling basis. The December UY would still be beneficial with a cancelled December, January, or February trip resulting in holding points since you have until November 30th to use those points.

A December UY would make your 0% banking months August, September, October, and November. Those would be the hardest months to book a trip during in the event you needed to cancel. That's because you can still cancel a trip, but all those points need to be used by November 30th since you are past your banking deadline of July 31st. Availability during DVC "fall frenzy" is very limited, especially on such short notice. Traveling during December, January, February, and June makes December the most beneficial.

Another excellent thing about a December UY is that you're currently in the 2022 UY since 12/1/23 is the start of your 2023 UY. This means you will get 2022 UY points that can be sold back with Magical Beginnings. DVC would also allow you to bank these points if you choose to forgo the rebate as a courtesy since you're purchasing past the banking deadline, but if you want the rebate, you can get a check for $3,300 (150 points x $22) and still get a full allotment of points to use on 12/1/23. All UYs provide current UY points when purchasing, but right now September, October, and December are the last 3 UYs that can fully take advantage of the Magical Beginnings rebate and have points ready to book with for the 2023 UY.

I would say depending on WHEN you winter break is, as there are different options.

If you break is in December, then a UY of December would be perfect, as you can bank you points all the way until July 31st, which means that you can also take a trip in July.

If your break is in February then a December UY is still good, but February would be better and you have until end of Sept to bank points.

The only thing that stinks about Dec. is if you end up traveling in Nov.
We have little kids and have been usually our Thanksgiving break to travel. I can’t get the week off, but will travel Wed-Sunday to minimize the days the kids miss school.

When I picked my use year, I looked at the 3 months I was less like to travel. I hate summer heat in Fl, so I picked Sept, Aug, and July as months I wouldn’t really travel so we have an Oct. use year. Love it! Our banking date is May 31 so I’m sure at some point we will do an early June trip but usually know by May 31 if we need to cancel.

Maybe look at what months you are likely not to travel too?

I am glad you've decided VGF will work well for you!

Your guide seems to be giving helpful information offering you an appropriate UY based on wanting to travel over winter break AND/OR June. While some will insist a UY doesn't matter, as you mentioned, it provides an extra insurance policy. A December UY has a banking deadline of July 31st. That means if you booked a trip in December with your current allotment of points and needed to cancel you could push all those points to a June reservation within the same UY. If you happened to also need to cancel June, you could bank all of those points since that reservation also fell before July 31st. This assumes you cancelled 31+ days prior to check-in and points did not go into holding. Some other caveats would be this only works on current UY allotment of points. You cannot bank already banked points OR borrowed points. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it's a nice safety net.

Holding points come into play if you cancel 30 days or less before check-in. When you have holding points they are stuck in the current UY regardless if they were previously bankable. You can only book on them within the next 60 days and that's on a rolling basis. The December UY would still be beneficial with a cancelled December, January, or February trip resulting in holding points since you have until November 30th to use those points.

A December UY would make your 0% banking months August, September, October, and November. Those would be the hardest months to book a trip during in the event you needed to cancel. That's because you can still cancel a trip, but all those points need to be used by November 30th since you are past your banking deadline of July 31st. Availability during DVC "fall frenzy" is very limited, especially on such short notice. Traveling during December, January, February, and June makes December the most beneficial.

Another excellent thing about a December UY is that you're currently in the 2022 UY since 12/1/23 is the start of your 2023 UY. This means you will get 2022 UY points that can be sold back with Magical Beginnings. DVC would also allow you to bank these points if you choose to forgo the rebate as a courtesy since you're purchasing past the banking deadline, but if you want the rebate, you can get a check for $3,300 (150 points x $22) and still get a full allotment of points to use on 12/1/23. All UYs provide current UY points when purchasing, but right now September, October, and December are the last 3 UYs that can fully take advantage of the Magical Beginnings rebate and have points ready to book with for the 2023 UY.
Wow thanks for this great explanation!! So I could use the 2022 points for MB and then bank the 2023 points by July 31 but would need to use them by the end of the UY 11/30 although I would want to schedule a lot sooner since that would be around the tricky time to schedule due to fall being a more prime time?

Depending how early in December can also matter. If you typically go very early December, a lot of those studios are walked at the 11 month mark. It’s a lot easier to walk if you don’t have to cross the end and beginning of your use year.

IMO if you like going in December and June you have 2 options, you can do an October or December use year.

October can work because even if you travel in June, you should cancel 31+ days in advance to avoid your points going into holding which would be in May or earlier and would still be in your banking window. October would also be better for early December because it would give you more time to potentially walk a December reservation.

December UY would work better if you plan to travel later during winter and would obviously be better if you wanted to go later into summer and using the same thinking you could even book into August and as long as you cancel before the holding deadline you will be able to bank those points.
Wow thanks for this great explanation!! So I could use the 2022 points for MB and then bank the 2023 points by July 31 but would need to use them by the end of the UY 11/30 although I would want to schedule a lot sooner since that would be around the tricky time to schedule due to fall being a more prime time?
This is correct. Remember points don’t need to be in your account at the time you make the reservation so you don’t need to wait for your points to come in at the start of your UY to book. Disney knows your points will be there based on your annual allotment. The points just need to be available during the time of the stay. For example you can book a trip in December during January of the same year at your home resort. You may not have any points in your account at this moment, but Disney knows you will be getting your annual points on 12/1 and will allow you to book your reservation.

Last edited:

Assuming a December use year for everything below.

For Magical beginnings that is correct. You could instead get a one time ‘just purchased’ chance to bank those points instead of using magical beginnings, even though you are after the banking deadline. If you did, those points would have to be used prior to 11/30/2024.

For the 2023 points you get them do use on December 1, 2023. You do not have to wait until then to book something. You can book normally using points that are not in your account yet so long as the reservation is for a time after the points will become available.

So if you bought today and did Magical beginnings for your 2022 points. You could make a reservation today for anytime between now and November 30,2024 with those points. If you make a reservation for prior to December 1, 2023 you would have to borrow the points. For example, let’s say you find a room for the end of October 2023 and you book it. As soon as you complete making the reservation for that October booking your points will be borrowed.

Once points are borrowed you also can’t un-borrow them or bank them. So if your October trip got canceled more than 31 days out, those borrowed points would have to be used by November 30, 2023 or you loose them.

You only need to bank points if you are not going to use them prior to the end of their use year. So for your 2023 points, let’s say you book a June 2024 trip and have 45 points left over. You can bank those at any time before July 31st. I suggest if this occurs, wait until after your trip is over, just in case you change your mind and want to add a day.

Once points are banked they cannot be unbanked. So you wouldn’t be able to use those banked points for a spontaneous trip after they were banked but before your use year is up.

So for example, you banked your left over 45 points then get a promotion and want to celebrate with a long weekend at Disney the first weekend of September 2024. You find a room for 41 points total. When you book, you would borrow 41 of your 2024 points rather than using your banked 2023 points.

Edit : Added 2023 in one spot to avoid confusion.

Depending how early in December can also matter. If you typically go very early December, a lot of those studios are walked at the 11 month mark. It’s a lot easier to walk if you don’t have to cross the end and beginning of your use year.
It’s not clear yet though whether this will be a problem for the Resort Studios as well.

UY was hard for me too. Like I know how we vacation now but who knows what that will be like even 5 years from now. I ended up going with December mostly becuase i could get the Magical Beginnings and get $4,400 back. My work is fairly busy in the fall, so I think December works well for us for now.

I would say depending on WHEN you winter break is, as there are different options.

If you break is in December, then a UY of December would be perfect, as you can bank you points all the way until July 31st, which means that you can also take a trip in July.

If your break is in February then a December UY is still good, but February would be better and you have until end of Sept to bank points.
I wasn't sure if it was Feb at first either, but then I re-read and saw Christmas so I went with all of Dec

October can work because even if you travel in June, you should cancel 31+ days in advance to avoid your points going into holding which would be in May or earlier and would still be in your banking window.
This is a fair point!

It's nice to hear a positive guide experience suggesting an appropriate UY with 2022 points vs all the other guides pushing March.

It’s not clear yet though whether this will be a problem for the Resort Studios as well.
It's funny, I am seeing spotty spring break availability (still within the 7-11 month window) in standard view resort studios. VGF owners are booking! All declared and not sold yet.

Assuming a December use year for everything below.

For Magical beginnings that is correct. You could instead get a one time ‘just purchased’ chance to bank those points instead of using magical beginnings, even though you are after the banking deadline. If you did, those points would have to be used prior to 11/30/2024.

For the 2023 points you get them do use on December 1, 2023. You do not have to wait until then to book something. You can book normally using points that are not in your account yet so long as the reservation is for a time after the points will become available.

So if you bought today and did Magical beginnings for your 2022 points. You could make a reservation today for anytime between now and November 30,2024 with those points. If you make a reservation for prior to December 1, 2023 you would have to borrow the points. For example, let’s say you find a room for the end of October 2023 and you book it. As soon as you complete making the reservation for that October booking your points will be borrowed.

Once points are borrowed you also can’t un-borrow them or bank them. So if your October trip got canceled more than 31 days out, those borrowed points would have to be used by November 30, 2023 or you loose them.

You only need to bank points if you are not going to use them prior to the end of their use year. So for your 2023 points, let’s say you book a June 2024 trip and have 45 points left over. You can bank those at any time before July 31st. I suggest if this occurs, wait until after your trip is over, just in case you change your mind and want to add a day.

Once points are banked they cannot be unbanked. So you wouldn’t be able to use those banked points for a spontaneous trip after they were banked but before your use year is up.

So for example, you banked your left over 45 points then get a promotion and want to celebrate with a long weekend at Disney the first weekend of September 2024. You find a room for 41 points total. When you book, you would borrow 41 of your 2024 points rather than using your banked 2023 points.

Edit : Added 2023 in one spot to avoid confusion.
From a magical beginnings perspective wouldn't it make sense to do a September, October or December UY so that you can get a rebate for 2022 points but also get 2023 points soon after? If you did a UY after December wouldn't you ultimately receive less points since you would use MB for 2023 points and then would not receive points until 2024 (thus never receiving 2022 points)? If correct, it would seem that this benefit would outweigh any potential drawbacks regarding when people like to travel.

Exactly! I am firm believer in always booking something in the 11-month window if I feel I may want a room. You can always cancel or modify! Those 150 points are always available on your contract in every UY unless you've borrowed. You can also book trips in a future UY with those points as long as it's within the next 11 months.

For example, if you're looking for a Dec 2024 trip, you can book that starting Jan 2023 with your 2024 UY points since the trip falls in the 2024 UY. If 150 points is enough you don't even have to bank the 2023 UY yet. You can decide if you want to use those 150 points in your 2023 UY while keeping the Dec 2024 reservation in your 2024 UY on 2024 UY points.

If by 7/31/24 (still 2023 Dec UY) you do not want to use the points in your 2023 UY, you can bank all those points to your 2024 UY. Those banked points can then replace the 2024 UY points on your Dec 2024 reservation since you want to use banked points first (this can be done with a simple modification online). Now you have 150 2023 banked points in 2024 on a 2024 trip. This frees up the 2024 annual allotment for booking or banking to the next year.

From a magical beginnings perspective wouldn't it make sense to do a September, October or December UY so that you can get a rebate for 2022 points but also get 2023 points soon after?
Yes, Magical Beginnings works the best for Sept, Oct, and Dec UYs right now because they are in the 2022 UY so they get 2022 UY points.

From a magical beginnings perspective wouldn't it make sense to do a September, October or December UY so that you can get a rebate for 2022 points but also get 2023 points soon after? If you did a UY after December wouldn't you ultimately receive less points since you would use MB for 2023 points and then would not receive points until 2024 (thus never receiving 2022 points)? If correct, it would seem that this benefit would outweigh any potential drawbacks regarding when people like to travel.
I wouldn't say using Magical Beginnings on Sept, Oct, Dec to save $3,300 right now makes sense in the long run if you don't want one of those UYs.

Say you only want to travel to WDW Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. None of the current UYs with 2022 points work well for all of those holidays. Say you banked and borrowed an entire UY and then had to cancel and lose 3 UYs of points since you took a UY that doesn't work well with your travel habits. Was it worth getting a $3,300 rebate for 1 UY of points to lose 3 UYs worth of points on a future trip? I don't personally think so.

Or what if you already own VGF with an August UY. You want 150 more points and just missed out on 2022 UY points by a month because you don't watch these boards and you're currently in WDW on a vacation and see the other incentives. Should you take another UY that won't combine with your other VGF contracts? Again, I wouldn't personally want to do this.

It's funny, I am seeing spotty spring break availability (still within the 7-11 month window) in standard view resort studios. VGF owners are booking! All declared and not sold yet.
I guess I view standard view as its own separate problem from ability to get any view type in a room category. I was referencing the latter.

I wasn't sure if it was Feb at first either, but then I re-read and saw Christmas so I went with all of Dec

This is a fair point!

It's nice to hear a positive guide experience suggesting an appropriate UY with 2022 points vs all the other guides pushing March.
It’s funny bc he originally said March is what the automatic UY would be but when I said I want to travel in December he told me he will do everything in his power to get it for me. But said it’s never a guarantee and he also said the same thing about the 2022 points even if they approve the Dec UY. Is this just to cover his own behind?

Exactly! I am firm believer in always booking something in the 11-month window if I feel I may want a room. You can always cancel or modify! Those 150 points are always available on your contract in every UY unless you've borrowed. You can also book trips in a future UY with those points as long as it's within the next 11 months.

For example, if you're looking for a Dec 2024 trip, you can book that starting Jan 2023 with your 2024 UY points since the trip falls in the 2024 UY. If 150 points is enough you don't even have to bank the 2023 UY yet. You can decide if you want to use those 150 points in your 2023 UY while keeping the Dec 2024 reservation in your 2024 UY on 2024 UY points.

If by 7/31/24 (still 2023 Dec UY) you do not want to use the points in your 2023 UY, you can bank all those points to your 2024 UY. Those banked points can then replace the 2024 UY points on your Dec 2024 reservation since you want to use banked points first (this can be done with a simple modification online). Now you have 150 2023 banked points in 2024 on a 2024 trip. This frees up the 2024 annual allotment for booking or banking to the next year.
I had to read this three times to understand. You explained it beautifully but just wrapping my mind around it all 🤪 Question: If I know I won’t be traveling before December 2024 and want to book mid December 2024, I can use my December 2023 points as long as it’s booked by Nov 30 (would be booked in January though at 11 months). Even if the trip is after Nov 30 they will still count since they were scheduled by the UY deadline?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter