UV/Sun umbrella OK in parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
I have lupus and am very photosensitive; too much sun exposure can make me acutely ill. We usually do WDW in December, but will be visiting in 10 days. I'm thinking of getting a UV sun umbrella/parasol to protect me from the direct sun. Nothing outlandishly large—same size as a personal rain umbrella. I'd like to think that since rain umbrellas are allowed (they are, right?) this should not be a problem. I will, of course, be mindful in crowds and do plan to take mid-day breaks anyway. Anyone have experience bringing one into the parks? I'm hoping that the only grief I'll get is a few quizzical looks for carrying around an umbrella on a sunny day:scratchin:sunny:

Yes, I used one last July & it was a lifesaver. CMs enviously asked me where I got it. Won't leave home without it this July.

I don't remember quizzical looks. It's a parasol, basically. In that oppressive summer sun, its purpose was obvious.

Last edited:

What a relief! I was thinking about how they've banned selfie sticks and worried the rule extended to umbrellas (not that it should).

What a relief! I was thinking about how they've banned selfie sticks and worried the rule extended to umbrellas (not that it should).

People aren't going to bring open umbrellas onto rides. I think that was the main reason selfie sticks were banned- they were a nuisance on rides.

Umbrellas are a nuisance to the eyeballs of the people around you....

This is a health thing, I'm not going to tell you not to take the umbrella, but I do hope you are mindful about the spokes of the umbrella the ENTIRE time you're using it.

You'll be fine. You won't see many umbrellas for sun - but you do see them. Also - since you are going in December - you'll be more likely able to wear more clothing/hat and not overheat. Plus - the sun goes down earlier.

I carried an umbrella on a rainy day recently - and it wasn't bad. I did have to be more attentive to the folks around me to not poke anyone at times. I think the problem with umbrellas at Disney isn't always the one carrying it - but sometimes its those around them. I was being observant of those around me - but the parks are so sensory overload for lots of people - they might still walk right into it because they just aren't really looking where they are walking - even when you are trying to avoid hitting them.

I use an umbrella for sun on some days, and I see other people doing the same. No one will look twice at you for using one when it's not raining.

My goal is to find one of those rounded "dome" umbrellas that isn't a cheap piece of trash. I think they're safer in crowds, but all the ones I find are either clear (no help for sun!) or very flimsy and not built to last any length of time.

I have considered bringing an umbrella to use while waiting for shows. Not sure why, but walking with the sun beating down on you seems easier than just standing still with the sun. Maybe the movement helps with cooling. Or maybe with walking, you hit a patch of shade here and there, but standing in the sun just wipes me out..

Thanks everyone--I am a mother of young boys, so I like to think we're unusually mindful of what's physically happening around us. :duck:Unfortunately the weather for the end of April is looking like it will be around 90 degrees--hotter than I'd hoped--so the UV umbrella is going to be necessarity for me.

Resurrecting this thread. I was at DW the week before Labor Day when the temps were 95 degrees plus and humidity off the scale. A small personal size Totes UV/Sun Umbrella gives you all the comfort of a beach umbrella. They claim it can be 30 degrees cooler under it. Can’t verify that but it was very noticeably cooler and very easy to carry around. Tested all different colors and the black ones work better than the light colored ones which let UV rays go right thru. Made a believer out of me and won’t make a “hot day” trip to the parks without one now. Works exactly like a day at the beach luxuriating under an umbrella or canopy. Less sun, less sweat, more fun, ahhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter