Using Lyft, what if this happens?

AngieInOH

DIS Veteran
We plan on using Lyft from the airport to Universal. We will have 6 passengers and will request XL. My question is what if the driver will not allow a person to sit in the front seat, therefore will only seat 5? Do we just call another Lyft driver and don't have to pay anything for the first?

We had this happen in April, fortunately there was only 5 of us so we were all able to fit in.

You mention airport, will you have luggage? If so you may need to split into two lyfts. Often the XL lyft/ubers meet the seating minimum by using a third row of fold down seats that when raised takes up most of the cargo space.

All good info. We were actually there after April 19 and one driver still wouldn't let us sit in the front seat so I thought it might be up to the drivers discretion.

I have also thought about needing 2 vehicles. I was going to wait to see how much luggage we had but Maybe it would be better to just plan on 2 vehicles.

All good info. We were actually there after April 19 and one driver still wouldn't let us sit in the front seat so I thought it might be up to the drivers discretion.
5 pax will fit without using the front seat. Maybe the driver only allows use of front if needed.

Maybe it would be better to just plan on 2 vehicles.

this would be MY plan ..... and if a car arrived and I had too much ... I'd just order another <additional, not replacement> and be done with it . . .

I have also thought about needing 2 vehicles. I was going to wait to see how much luggage we had but Maybe it would be better to just plan on 2 vehicles.
Unless you have some without bags and even then no one with checked bags really no way 6 + luggage will fit in a XL
I would for sure plan on 2.
We had 3 + 3 checked bags and we filled an XL. The rear seats had to fold for our bags

With a party of 6, I would actually consider car service rather than Lyft. You’ll be able to book a vehicle that can definitely fit all of you plus luggage, rather than chancing fitting in a Lyft XL. There are plenty of highly reputable companies in the area.

I second this. Two Lyfts may cost more than one town car service. PLUS you'll know the town car service will be there to pick you up as opposed to maybe getting two Lyfts at the same time.

For me Both Uber and Lyfy still show 5 Max passengers for XL. But you will 90% or higher not fit bags in an XL with 6 and maybe not even 5. They mostly use a Toyota highlander which does not have a lot of space with the 3rd row and frankly is not that comfortable for 6 people plus a driver although it is possible to get a minvian sometimes. Larger SUV like Yukons and suburbans have always been designated as Black service and do not allow 5 as it menat for comfort rather than size. You are far better using a service that will have a suburban period and hold 6 and luggage within reason.

For me Both Uber and Lyfy still show 5 Max passengers for XL. But you will 90% or higher not fit bags in an XL with 6 and maybe not even 5. They mostly use a Toyota highlander which does not have a lot of space with the 3rd row and frankly is not that comfortable for 6 people plus a driver although it is possible to get a minvian sometimes. Larger SUV like Yukons and suburbans have always been designated as Black service and do not allow 5 as it menat for comfort rather than size. You are far better using a service that will have a suburban period and hold 6 and luggage within reason.
In Orlando, XLs are mostly minivans.
Also, there are plenty of Suburbans, etc that are not commercially insured and driven by professional chauffeurs that are XL rather than Black.

For a party size of 6 or larger I would recommend booking a private car service like a Mears van, I would not risk arriving and hoping that there will be an Uber/Lyft XL available large enough to fit 6 passengers + luggage.. I recommend booking a Mears van in advance.. If you don't want to book in advance, another option could be going to the cab line and requesting a cab van..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter