Using DVC points elsewhere

denegate

Mouseketeer
We are in the process of possibly purchasing points through Disney and am wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with using their points for non-disney vacations? Is it worth it to use points this way? We would still visit Disney yearly but would also like to throw in another away-from-disney vacation every now and then.

Disney owned properties & hotels are easy & non disney hotels seem to be fairly straight forward.

However RCI is another story,I have been wait listed for a London Flat for next summer since January!
I guess you put your name in & wait & hope for something to come available!:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

I've only used points off-property once, when I was in a use-or-lose situation. It's not a great value, you're best bet is saving your points for DVC rooms and pay for everything else unless you're either about to lose the points, or it's something you really need or want to do and don't have the cash for it.

With RCI you need to be very flexible with time and places to go.
I assume that with say the concierge collection since that works more like a hotel reservation that you would have better success booking those rather than RCI which are traditional time shares.
However the concierge collection costs more points.
I agree with most who say use most of your points for DVC stays and only occasional RCI non Disney exchanges.

We are in the process of possibly purchasing points through Disney and am wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with using their points for non-disney vacations? Is it worth it to use points this way? We would still visit Disney yearly but would also like to throw in another away-from-disney vacation every now and then.

Every time you book outside of DVC, there is a $95 fee. If you change your reservation, it's another $95. You will use more points for a non-DVC Disney hotel than you will for a villa. Not a good use of DVC points.

Your best option is to buy only the points you'll use with DVC, assuming DVC makes sense for you at all. You should look at other methods to secure non DVC options, you'll be far better off.

We exchanged our points for a week at Lawaii Beach Resort, HI. I knew going in it wasn't the best value for our DVC points, but we had our hearts set on a Kauai vacation. We went to HI for our 20th and knew we wanted to go back for our 25th.

A lot depended on my husband's schedule - could he get away for 2 weeks? (Coming from the east coast 2 weeks is important, we lose so much time traveling.) He got the OK late January for our April-May vacation. I never thought an RCI exchange would be available. We were fully prepared to book hotels for both weeks.

I was definitely suprised when the one week I wanted was available anywhere on Kauai. We had to have a Saturday check-in and that apparently also limits availability.

Sorry for being long-winded. Yes you can use DVC points elsewhere.

Every time you book outside of DVC, there is a $95 fee. If you change your reservation, it's another $95. You will use more points for a non-DVC Disney hotel than you will for a villa. Not a good use of DVC points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter