Using a rollator walker?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
After two new knees and a foot reconstruction I think I can get around WDW using a rollator walker with seat. Has anyone rented on in Orlando area? We will have a rental car so can pick up, first whole day is a Sunday, so place should be open for pick up on a Sunday. Otherwise I could bring mine. Is it hard to bring one on a plane?

Thank you.

Bring your own. You can check the rollator either with luggage or at the gate for no charge. It can cost more to rent one than to buy one.

If the rollator will help you get to the gate just tell the person at the gate that you will be gate checking it. You will leave it at the door to the plane. And you should do early boarding.

The rollator will be delivered back at the door of the plane when you exit.

If you’d rather not take it to the gate just check it as luggage. No case or box needed. Just make sure you have a name tag on it.

It can cost more to rent one than to buy one.
Exactly. You could order one through Amazon for under $60, and either take it home as a spare, or leave/donate it.

I don't think any rental place will let a tourist pick up. They'd want to know where their item is, and he able to get it back.

Orlando Medical Rental rents standard walkers and rollators. I don't know if they have Sunday hours, though the website does indicate they'll deliver to all Disney resorts (I don't believe they are a featured vendor, so this would involve meeting them). As others mention, it may be less expensive to bring your own -- rental looks to be ~$30 for the first day, additional $5 per day, up to $60 for a week. Slightly more for the bariatric sized rollator.

There may be other vendors, but I know I just saw walkers/rollators on OMR site the other day.

Enjoy your vacation!

Actually, how about ordering one from Amazon and having it delivered to the resort? As far as bringing it on the plane, I've seen several people on the transport carts at the airport who have their rollator.

I think I'll be using a rollator as well next week. My knee is really bothering me. Where do you leave them when you go on a ride? Or are you allowed to keep it with you and leave it with a CM?

I think I'll be using a rollator as well next week. My knee is really bothering me. Where do you leave them when you go on a ride? Or are you allowed to keep it with you and leave it with a CM?
They are treated exactly like wheelchairs.
So, you can use it all the way to boarding.
If you board in one place and unload in another, the CMs will move it for you so it is waiting for you when you get out

They are treated exactly like wheelchairs.
So, you can use it all the way to boarding.
If you board in one place and unload in another, the CMs will move it for you so it is waiting for you when you get out
Thank you! I wasn't sure what to expect. I've never needed any assistance, but my osteoarthritis started up this week and I'm on a solo trip. So better to be safe than sorry! :thanks:

Thank you all! I’m going to buy a basket/bag for mine and bring it.

Last edited:
I would just caution you to make sure that a rollator will meet your needs. If you just need to make sure you have a place to sit and maybe take a little pressure off your joints it can be worth it's weight in gold.

I use a rollator at home pretty much full time. I have no joint issues, but have balance issues because of a dead leg that prevent me from walking even 2 feet unassisted. If I don't have my rollator I must hold on to something to even take a single step. I compare myself to a three legged stool with a leg missing.

I cannot walk with a rollator more than about a block because it takes so much energy to drag my leg. So I have to use an ECV at Disney or at Costco. But I have no pain at all - a side benefit of having a dead nerve. So I just use whatever tools help me.

I would just caution you to make sure that a rollator will meet your needs. If you just need to make sure you have a place to sit and maybe take a little pressure off your joints it can be worth it's weight in gold.

I use a rollator at home pretty much full time. I have no joint issues, but have balance issues because of a dead leg that prevent me from walking even 2 feet unassisted. If I don't have my rollator I must hold on to something to even take a single step. I compare myself to a three legged stool with a leg missing.

I cannot walk with a rollator more than about a block because it takes so much energy to drag my leg. So I have to use an ECV at Disney or at Costco. But I have no pain at all - a side benefit of having a dead nerve. So I just use whatever tools help me.
Thank you.
Until this trip I have either used an ECV or a cane. It is having a place to sit that is making me lean toward the rollator.

Thank you.
Until this trip I have either used an ECV or a cane. It is having a place to sit that is making me lean toward the rollator.
I’d suggest taking along the contact information for several of the offsite rental companies.
That way, if you decide the rollator doesn’t meet your needs, you can call and get an ECV.

I got my rollator on amazon for around $50 and it is very high quality. There was a small amount of effort required to put it together but not much I took it to Disney last trip and will again this summer. I cannot sit without some type of back support (mult back surgeries) and have a completely numb sciatic nerve track all the way down a leg and the bottom of my foot. It was a blessing and cast members were very helpful at each ride letting me know what to do. I will say some areas of textured ground were a bit of a challenge but it made the trio possible. Plus having that seat to sit on waiting for the parades was awesome! I didn’t use the wire basket that came with it because I couldn’t really fold it with that on the busses. I do have a cup holder on it which worked ok. I just carried my bag or hooked it on the handlebars when walking. I took my belongings on rides.

I got my rollator on amazon for around $50 and it is very high quality. There was a small amount of effort required to put it together but not much I took it to Disney last trip and will again this summer. I cannot sit without some type of back support (mult back surgeries) and have a completely numb sciatic nerve track all the way down a leg and the bottom of my foot. It was a blessing and cast members were very helpful at each ride letting me know what to do. I will say some areas of textured ground were a bit of a challenge but it made the trio possible. Plus having that seat to sit on waiting for the parades was awesome! I didn’t use the wire basket that came with it because I couldn’t really fold it with that on the busses. I do have a cup holder on it which worked ok. I just carried my bag or hooked it on the handlebars when walking. I took my belongings on rides.
May I ask how taking the bus worked out? Did you have any problems folding it before getting on? I'm leaving Tuesday and have some minor concerns abut bringing the rollator on a bus.

May I ask how taking the bus worked out? Did you have any problems folding it before getting on? I'm leaving Tuesday and have some minor concerns abut bringing the rollator on a bus.

All of the time except once they had me go up the ramp at the back door. The one exception was awful. We were at Caribbean beach resort and a later bus stop. It was afternoon of a Halloween party day. All busses to MK were packed full. The driver told me every bus was going to be that way and it would be another 20 min but I wasn’t going to get a seat on any bus he said. I had to stand holding my folded walker. I believe my walker fit open going in the front bus door and I folded it inside the bus. It is only one step up to get into the bus at the front. Nearly fell a couple times and other standing people kept me from falling. I finally unfolded the walker and put breaks on and sat it on the driver side of the yellow line so I could hold on with both hands. That was the only time that happened. It was absolutely awful. My daughter about had a panic attack she was so scared of me falling on there bus. She has refused to stay at that resort because of it. I find the value resorts to be easier with the line and single bus stop. It was a bit of a challenge sitting with the folded walker too but nothing like standing with it. I felt awkward using the back door but it was easier. Sometimes we walked off the front door with the crowd and sometimes we left the via the back door. Depended on how much I was in peoples way. In hind sight we probably should have always waited and gone out the back since we “preboarded”. Just wasn’t thinking st the time.

All of the time except once they had me go up the ramp at the back door. The one exception was awful. We were at Caribbean beach resort and a later bus stop. It was afternoon of a Halloween party day. All busses to MK were packed full. The driver told me every bus was going to be that way and it would be another 20 min but I wasn’t going to get a seat on any bus he said. I had to stand holding my folded walker. I believe my walker fit open going in the front bus door and I folded it inside the bus. It is only one step up to get into the bus at the front. Nearly fell a couple times and other standing people kept me from falling. I finally unfolded the walker and put breaks on and sat it on the driver side of the yellow line so I could hold on with both hands. That was the only time that happened. It was absolutely awful. My daughter about had a panic attack she was so scared of me falling on there bus. She has refused to stay at that resort because of it. I find the value resorts to be easier with the line and single bus stop. It was a bit of a challenge sitting with the folded walker too but nothing like standing with it. I felt awkward using the back door but it was easier. Sometimes we walked off the front door with the crowd and sometimes we left the via the back door. Depended on how much I was in peoples way. In hind sight we probably should have always waited and gone out the back since we “preboarded”. Just wasn’t thinking st the time.
Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm staying at the Bordwalk, and I know how crowded the buses can be especially in the morning and on afternoons of special events. I've never needed any walking devices before, but unfortunately my knee is really bothering me. I'm hoping it's just my arthritis, but I do have an appointment with my orthopedic doctor when I get home so we'll see. But I have a knee brace with me and my cane and now a rollator soI'm set.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter