Using a CamelBak type backpack

Meglen

DIS Veteran
We usually don't vacation at wdw during the summer because I get heat exhaustion pretty easy. Last time we went in July it was hot just as expected. I used wrist wraps that keep me cool , drank alot of water and took lots of breaks. But this June trip I purchased a on sale CamelBak backpack. I believe it's 52oz. My plan is to fill it with ice from the hotel every morning and get free water cups and fill it up throughout the day. This will keep my back cooled off and water right there all day. (I don't plan on filling it up in one spot just grabbing a cup here or there like we normally would)

Has anyone used one in the parks? Any tips? Is this a bad idea?

What if it leaks?

I hike with Platypus hydration pack in my Osprey Backpack. I've had one leak on me once. I'd bring a backup just in case. That's what I do for my NP trips.

Also, if you're overheating, I suggest increasing your fitness level prior to going to the park and wear hiking clothing. Stay away from anything cotton. Wool and synthetics will keep you cooler. Wool socks will prevent blisters. Hiking pants will breath better and dry faster after water rides. Also, go see your doctor to make sure that you don't have any health issues causing you to overheat as well.

What if it leaks?

I hike with Platypus hydration pack in my Osprey Backpack. I've had one leak on me once. I'd bring a backup just in case. That's what I do for my NP trips.

Also, if you're overheating, I suggest increasing your fitness level prior to going to the park and wear hiking clothing. Stay away from anything cotton. Wool and synthetics will keep you cooler. Wool socks will prevent blisters. Hiking pants will breath better and dry faster after water rides. Also, go see your doctor to make sure that you don't have any health issues causing you to overheat as well.
Thank you for your concern. I just get hot 🥵 even as a child. AFew pass outs and hospital visits as a very active sport heavy teen. Played softball all my life as a catcher in 100 degree weather with buckets of ice on hand so I'm used to minimizing risk now and know when I need to sit and get ac.

How bad was the leak? From the closure section or a bag failure? If I don't close it right and I get wet I guess a free water ride :) . If it breaks than it turns into a backpack for the rest of the day and toss the water pouch. I just don't wanna carry multiple bottles of water and thought this would be a easy fix.

Def something to think about thank you.

We regularly go in August and the hydration pack is the most reliable means we have for having water on-hand. They are made for skiing, running etc. so they do not leak if you have them closed properly. The only time I have ever had an issue is is the water freezes in the hose (not gonna happen in FL in the summer). There are more and more refill stations popping up in the parks and I have yet to have it run dry without being able to re-fill it pretty quickly. Highly recommend!

Thank you for your concern. I just get hot 🥵 even as a child. AFew pass outs and hospital visits as a very active sport heavy teen. Played softball all my life as a catcher in 100 degree weather with buckets of ice on hand so I'm used to minimizing risk now and know when I need to sit and get ac.

How bad was the leak? From the closure section or a bag failure? If I don't close it right and I get wet I guess a free water ride :) . If it breaks than it turns into a backpack for the rest of the day and toss the water pouch. I just don't wanna carry multiple bottles of water and thought this would be a easy fix.

Def something to think about thank you.

The seal had come lose. And my booty got all wet. No big deal. Hiking pants dry fast, and I was on the move. This is why I bring a backup with me. Hydration packs aren't as reliable as water bottles, so I don't use one backpacking. I wouldn't wear jeans and a hydration pack in the parks.

An FYI about over heating from a Floridian who had it happen in a foreign country when I didn't have enough water to drink. Lots of medications for blood pressure, heart etc. tend to make someone overheat. My husband's have warnings on them so check your meds. Best thing to do is keep hydrated-no sodas, no milk products, no beer, wine, or mixed drinks. Drink water. Get a cooling handkerchief for your neck and just rewet it and snap it again when it stops cooling . Use a mister fan, too. Forget the makeup and rinse your face off several times a day. Wearing a hat makes me feel hotter on the beach so I wear a visor for the sun if needed . Wear white or light colored clothes-no denim . To me cotton and cotton blends are cooler. And for heaven sakes don't let fashion guide you to think women should not wear tanks or sleeveless tops if they have arms that wave like a flag. I find any material that has a shine to it at all is hotter than plain oh breathable cotton...even your under garments. "real shoes may be comfortable for walking but sandals are a lot cooler as far as I am concerned. If you do want to wear walking shoes I find the canvas ones cooler than any of the leather when I don't wear "real" socks with them.
I almost forgot if you feel over heated...........to cool off put bottles of cold water/ice packs under your arms, behind the knees, groin area, and on your neck. The heat goes out through your head so these areas work better than on your forehead.

Last edited:
I used my camelback backpack when walking around the Arizona Botanical Gardens this past August. It was probably 100 degrees that day. I filled it with ice and water before leaving the hotel. IT WAS A LIFESAVER when walking around in that heat. This was my first time putting ice in it, so I wasn't sure how it would go, but it worked like a charm! My one tip is this: after you take a drink, let the water from the hose flow back into the backpack. That way, the next time you take a drink, you will get cold water, and not hot water that has been hanging out in the hose in the heat. :)

Sounds like a good idea. Might tweak the free water cups part. If there are long lines and staff is short, sometimes it's not as easy to get a cup of water from a place as fast as you'd like.

Perhaps fill bag up with ice and at least one bottle of water before you leave? Then put the empty bottle in the backpack to fill up at refillable stations. I have to say when I was at AK, MK and Epcot in January I was looking for those stations and they weren't apparent. I even asked some cast members if there was one nearby and they said they didn't know. I learned afterward you can search the app for refillable water and it will list them out for you. Have fun!

P.S. - Not what you asked and I feel bad chiming in with others on the medical front since I do know lots of people who are super prone to overheating with zero medical issues, but if you've never gotten your thyroid checked - might want to do so on your next physical. It's a simple blood test.

Sounds like a good idea. Might tweak the free water cups part. If there are long lines and staff is short, sometimes it's not as easy to get a cup of water from a place as fast as you'd like.

Perhaps fill bag up with ice and at least one bottle of water before you leave? Then put the empty bottle in the backpack to fill up at refillable stations. I have to say when I was at AK, MK and Epcot in January I was looking for those stations and they weren't apparent. I even asked some cast members if there was one nearby and they said they didn't know. I learned afterward you can search the app for refillable water and it will list them out for you. Have fun!

P.S. - Not what you asked and I feel bad chiming in with others on the medical front since I do know lots of people who are super prone to overheating with zero medical issues, but if you've never gotten your thyroid checked - might want to do so on your next physical. It's a simple blood test.
Here's a list. I do know that the stations at Navi River and FoP are IN the queue, not near.
https://familyvacationdesign.com/where-to-find-water-refill-stations-at-disney-world/

We use a Camelbak on every trip. Love it. As far as leaking, we've never had trouble with it. Just make sure before you put it in the backpack, tip it upside down to make sure your seal is on right. Sometimes we use just water and ice, other times in extreme heat, we take Gatorade packets and add to it.

Oh I have thyroid issues, hypothyroidism and hashimotos.(idk how to spell it). So prolly dosnt help hah.

We use a Camelbak on every trip. Love it. As far as leaking, we've never had trouble with it. Just make sure before you put it in the backpack, tip it upside down to make sure your seal is on right. Sometimes we use just water and ice, other times in extreme heat, we take Gatorade packets and add to it.
Did the Gatorade packets ruin the tube at all? I was worried I wouldn't be able to clean it very good and would have to replace it after the trip.

Every time we go most food areas that's have the soda machine you can ask for a cup or 2 of water. It's better than the drinking fountains because it's filtered. Sure lines can be long but we never had issues finding places to get some.

Did the Gatorade packets ruin the tube at all? I was worried I wouldn't be able to clean it very good and would have to replace it after the trip.

No we haven't had any problems with the tubing. I run water and a little dish soap through it. We have the same bladder for about 7 years now and no problems. We use a hanger and dry it upside down.

Never had problems with a Camelbak hydration pack leaking. We have multiple backpack styles and an unbottle. What's the loose ice policy now? I wonder if this would be an issue with just the ice in it. Or maybe I am misunderstanding and you will be filling it with water and ice at the hotel. I think water and ice wouldn't be an issue.

Never had problems with a Camelbak hydration pack leaking. We have multiple backpack styles and an unbottle. What's the loose ice policy now? I wonder if this would be an issue with just the ice in it. Or maybe I am misunderstanding and you will be filling it with water and ice at the hotel. I think water and ice wouldn't be an issue.
thinking 70% ice 30% water and by the time we get to the park it will be mostly water with the heat lol but hopefully decently cold

thinking 70% ice 30% water and by the time we get to the park it will be mostly water with the heat lol but hopefully decently cold
The only issue with the Camelbaks is that your back can get hot. They are usually insulated between the bottle and backpack. I find mine gets a little sweaty. I would try it out to see. Is it one of the small think packs or the more backpack type? I have a backpack type.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter