• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Use year

dkellumw

Mouseketeer
I just talked to my guide about buying 150 points. He said that if I pay before October 31st I would get an April use year and after that I would get a June use year. We are using the MB program to sell back the first years points.

Does use year month really matter or is one preferred over the other?

I found that this is the best place to get the answers. :)

Use year is the month that your points renew. With an April use year, your 2001 points are good for a stay between April 1, 2001 and March 30, 2002. Your 2002 points are good between April 1, 2002 and March 30, 2003. Your 2003 points are good - well you get the pattern. You can bank current year points to the following use year. If you have an April use year, you can bank up to 100% of your year's allotment of points as long as you do it before the end of September. Up to 50% of your year's allotment of points can be banked by the end of December and up to 25% by the end of January.

Use year is really only important if you think you may need to frequently cancel a reservation, and it has to do with banking deadlines. Let's say that you normally vacation in February and your use year is April. If you have to cancel your February 2002 vacation (which would normally be booked with 2001 use year points), you would have to use your 2001 points before the end of March, 2002 (or lose them) because your banking windows have already passed. Now if you had a September use year and had to cancel that same February vacation, you would still have time to bank those 2001 points if you didn't need them for a trip prior to August 31, 2002. With a September use year, the 100% deadline is the end of February, the 50% deadline is the end of May and the 25 % deadline is the end of June.

IMHO, a use year no more than five months prior to your "usual" vacation time is best. But remember that use year only matters if you have to cancel a reservation and you are past the appropriate banking window.

If this doesn't help, ask another question.

I just put my deposit down yesterday. The guide told me I have June for my use year. Is he holding back on putting through the contract?

Maybe you are not both buying the same home resort. Even if you are, I imagine that the use year inventory could fluctuate from day to day as people sign purchase agreements and/or change their minds. This might be especially true as a resort gets nearer to being sold out.

If you are worried, why not give your guide a call and ask? I've also read that some people are able to get other use years than what is currently being offered. If you'd rather get another use year, I'd recommend that you call and see what your guide can do for you.

Good Luck!

Carol

Bear in mind that Disney usually gives you a use year that allows plenty of time to bank your current points when you purchase. The only time use year is of any importance is if you tend to travel the same time each year, and you need some flexibilty in case you have to cancel a trip and need to have time to bank those points. If you don't always go the same time or rarely if ever cancel (that's us), use year doesn't mean much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter