• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Use year question

Elephantay

DIS Veteran
All of this trouble with people losing points has me thinking...
Moving forward-
We currently have a September use year ( 160 points). If we add on a small amount of points with a different use year, what happens with booking? Can we use the points from our original contract, 11 months out, towards a reservation from a different home resort? Or can we only book the amount of points from that use year?

Two UY is like two memberships. You can’t combine the points for a single vacation without a transfer

Each can be used at the 11 month mark at whatever resort. In my Aug UY, I have RIV and SSR, but Dec UY has SSR.

So, I can book some nights at 11 months at SSR on one, and some on the other and then have MS link them.

But, I bought mine with enough points and use each one for different trips. They are each large enough to function on their own,

The real benefit is so that if you travel at all times, you have less risk if something happens,

Do you mean link so your reservation continues- same room and availability for fast passes? So if I book at AKL ( current home resort) 11 months out, then book more nights at using BL points ( or whatever second resort/use year) 7 months out, I could have one longer stay at AKL?
Could I only book up to the total points I have for that particular membership? If I have only 75 points at BL, at 11 months out I can only book up to 75 points of rooms, even though I have 160 points at AKL?

If you own two UY, the reservations are on different memberships. So, you have them linked so you don’t have to change rooms and the hotel knows it’s the same group. They will tell you there is always a chance, but I have never had it happen.

FPs can be booked from the start of the first one.

Points don’t change home resort, So, if you own BLT and AKV, even in the same membership, you can’t use them all at 11 months for one of the resorts, BLT is only good at BLT and AKV is only good at AKV.

The big difference is that same UY means at 7 months, both AKV and BLT can be used together to book any DVC resort,

With two UYs, you can’t combine them for one reservation,

The only reason to get a second UY is so you can book those points at a different time of travel.

Your Sept UY works best for trips through May, but puts summer as the most risky if you can’t travel, even through no fault of your own,

If you are now wanting to travel during the summer, then having points for just those trips would make a second UY benefical.

But, no matter what, those AKV points in the Sept UY, if booked during the summer would continue to be at risk, even if you bought BLT with a different one.

Our family has 3 use years and annual passes. We have never had an issue with reservations from different resorts, nor from fast passes or dinner reservations. We call if we will be at the same resort on 2 different use years for consecutive resorts but never once have we needed to move rooms. This also allows different resorts on the same trip.

For example with a larger family this Jan my youngest didn't recall staying at Poly and had never stayed at Bay Lakes. We started with a a couple of days at Poly in a studio then we got a one bedroom at bay lake for a few of nights after his sister arrived. then to AK for a dedicated 2 bedroom SV on 2 different reservations. Everything flowed smoothly. No in resort room changes, several different experiences and dining in just the resorts and using parks close to the resort to cut travel time

Do you mean link so your reservation continues- same room and availability for fast passes? So if I book at AKL ( current home resort) 11 months out, then book more nights at using BL points ( or whatever second resort/use year) 7 months out, I could have one longer stay at AKL?
Could I only book up to the total points I have for that particular membership? If I have only 75 points at BL, at 11 months out I can only book up to 75 points of rooms, even though I have 160 points at AKL?

The only reason to get a second UY is so you can book those points at a different time of travel.

This!
We go twice a year, once in March-May using my December UY, and again in Sept-Nov using my September UY. So far that is working well for us, we have a May trip planned that likely won't be happening, but since they are Dec. UY points I have until July to bank them to use in spring of 2021

Thank you all for your comments. We are in a similar situation. We have two contracts with a September UY. But now that we will have a high schooler, we feel like we need to travel in the summer and no longer in the fall so September is the worst one to have. We want to add on but will pick a March UY for spring and summer vacations from school.

I do have a quick question as I've read conflicting information. If I pick up another UY, I know it will be another membership number. Can I link this new membership number to my current DVC/Disney login information? I'd like to be able to log into the DVC website with my same email and passord and just switch between the accounts.

Thank you all for your comments. We are in a similar situation. We have two contracts with a September UY. But now that we will have a high schooler, we feel like we need to travel in the summer and no longer in the fall so September is the worst one to have. We want to add on but will pick a March UY for spring and summer vacations from school.

I do have a quick question as I've read conflicting information. If I pick up another UY, I know it will be another membership number. Can I link this new membership number to my current DVC/Disney login information? I'd like to be able to log into the DVC website with my same email and passord and just switch between the accounts.

Yes, it is all on the same account. You just toggle between them, but everything is on the dashboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter