Use screen shot of ticket on each family member’s device?

TCups4Me

DIS Article Contributor
How do you manage tickets for your family with older (early teen) kids? The Magic Bands at WDW are super convenient for this purpose. We don’t anticipate splitting up much but it seems like it would be convenient for everyone to be able to scan their own ticket. Do screen shots of the tickets work for park entry and lightning lanes? Does it mess up the Disneyland app if we all log in under my username?

Thanks for your help with these logistics!

After you enter the parks the first time you will be handing a card stock paper ticket for each person so you could put those into a lanyard for the kids if you split up.

You get a different barcode to scan for Genie+/LL. You don't scan the tickets.

Install the app on the teens phones, but login with your credentials. This way, everyone has all the same access to tickets, LL barcodes, the ability to book LL, etc. That is what we do with my 16 and 18 year old sons. They go off on their own in the parks all the time and this works well for them.

ETA: some cast members will ask you to open the app to get to a ticket. They are technically not supposed to scan screenshots.

You get a different barcode to scan for Genie+/LL. You don't scan the tickets.

Install the app on the teens phones, but login with your credentials. This way, everyone has all the same access to tickets, LL barcodes, the ability to book LL, etc. That is what we do with my 16 and 18 year old sons. They go off on their own in the parks all the time and this works well for them.

ETA: some cast members will ask you to open the app to get to a ticket. They are technically not supposed to scan screenshots.
This is really helpful information. Thank you!

When we went, all three of us used the app on our own phones under the same login (mine). We all could all pull up our own tickets, LL barcodes and we could all mobile order ourselves but it's all on the same login. No issues.

Thanks for starting this thread as I had the same question.

How does genie+ work if you are meeting other people at the park that aren’t in your Disneyland account and want to get return times together?

Yes. It will show up on the home page with a "redeem" button when your LL time is available. It will be a photo of the ride with a barcode for each person.
Unless things have changed since the past that barcode is the same as the one that’s on the ticket.

Unless things have changed since the past that barcode is the same as the one that’s on the ticket.

I am aware. However, cast members often ask to see your screen and want to see that you actually have reached your return time. If you scan in with your ticket and get a blue light or something goes wrong, they need to see that screen, not your ticket barcode. This happens SO often (people returning who either don't have a LL booked or who come at the wrong time) that CMs walk the LL line frequently asking guests to show their screens. So, you need to be ready to do so.

Yes. It will show up on the home page with a "redeem" button when your LL time is available. It will be a photo of the ride with a barcode for each person.
I swear all this app stuff is so confusing to me. I barely upgraded from my iphone 6 last year, phones are not my thing. I am not into apps whatsoever. It's times like this, I wish I had the $$$ to do a vip tour and let them take care of all of this for me.

I swear all this app stuff is so confusing to me. I barely upgraded from my iphone 6 last year, phones are not my thing. I am not into apps whatsoever. It's times like this, I wish I had the $$$ to do a vip tour and let them take care of all of this for me.

I'm sorry this is all so overwhelming for you. I find apps to be second nature, but I've been using computers and tech my whole life. I wish Disney didn't make it so complicated for visitors, though. There was literally nothing wrong with the old Fastpass machine/Maxpass system.

I'm sorry this is all so overwhelming for you. I find apps to be second nature, but I've been using computers and tech my whole life. I wish Disney didn't make it so complicated for visitors, though. There was literally nothing wrong with the old Fastpass machine/Maxpass system.
I actually worked in tech as a producer/project manager for many years. I think it's not the tech part of it, it's the phone part. I never use apps because 1) I don't want my face in the phone all day and 2) I have old eyes and it's hard to see the screen. I think 2 is the main problemo, truth be told.

Not everything in life needs to be phone based, Disney! End of rant. Thank you for tips and patience as I plan our trip. :)

How do you manage tickets for your family with older (early teen) kids? The Magic Bands at WDW are super convenient for this purpose. We don’t anticipate splitting up much but it seems like it would be convenient for everyone to be able to scan their own ticket. Do screen shots of the tickets work for park entry and lightning lanes? Does it mess up the Disneyland app if we all log in under my username?

Thanks for your help with these logistics!
In our family, everyone has their own disney login and app. This way they can also play the Disney games. When I get tickets I scan everyone's barcodes into everyones phones. That way we all can make genie + and mobile orders individually or together if needed. My boys are teens so often wander off by themselves and us parents get to do our own Genie + things.

Thanks for starting this thread as I had the same question.

How does genie+ work if you are meeting other people at the park that aren’t in your Disneyland account and want to get return times together?
I also scan my friends tickets in and we make genie+ reservations as a group. You can have them send you their barcode and vice versa. If someone comes later and you want to add them to genie+ reservation, there was a link to "add someone to your genie+" . That will give all of you new times, if available.

With the app it is easy. Make sure that everyone has the app downloaded on their phone and that they have created their own Disney account. Once the tickets are in the main account you can transfer them to each person/kid. Open the app and go to the Three lines (bottom right side) This will open up a page with a bunch of different boards. 2nd on the left is the Tickets and passes. Click that. That will bring up all your tickets and in the upper right you will see link tickets and passes. Have your kids choose that on their phone. It will open up the camera, they can scan their ticket on your phone and a copy will be transferred to them (it also remains on your phone).

Other option include taking a screen shot of the ticket and texting it to each individual to be placed in the phone's wallet.

The easiest if you're all remaining together and only on person is controlling the Lighting Lane/Genie+ is to use the paper tickets you'll get at the front. This is what my daughter and I did last month. Did need to fumble with phones when checking into the line. Just scanned the old ticket (kind of like magic bands)

Disney explains how here: https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...le-peoples-disney-apps-prior-entering-453988/

If anyone is under 13 and needs an "account" https://origin.prod.mdxpepui.mdx.las1.wdpro.disney.com/faq/family-friends/managing-minors-profile/

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter