Use of Disney Photographer for Cruise Wedding?

starrydominique

Dancing Dominique
-----EDIT, Post Wedding-----

We ended up going with an outside photographer and were glad we did. We used Jessica Lea Photography out of Jacksonville. As far as cost, we paid for a porthole room for her and her assistant and just under $1000 or so more on her fee, parking, tips, etc. It was totally worth the expense. She was so much fun to work with and took amazing photos. She knew all the right places on the ship to take photos and was with us from about 9AM-2PM. Below is the link to my facebook album with all the photos. Hope that helps future brides!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154045379065739&type=1&l=06225b65ef

--------------------------

Hi there,

I'm new to the boards. We just booked our Disney cruise wedding on Castaway Cay this December and we were wondering if anybody has used and been happy with the on board photography service for their wedding? If you have any sample photos that would be great. I'm considering booking an outside photographer after reading some concerns about it being hit or miss but I have yet to see any photo evidence. I'm a little annoyed to pay so much more for a photographer but I want good photos. I also don't see that the photos are edited and I have a personal friend locally who photographs and she is amazing but her images are retouched normally and don't look good until afterwards.

Any information or photos are welcome. I appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Sorry cant help you I have the exact same concern! The photo packages seem reasonably priced compared to bringing an outside photographer but maybe that doesn't translate into quality pictures. Oddly enough each time I search for DCL weddng pictures none are from Disney photographers.

I know! I had my local photographer who photographs for our business do some goggling and said it is run by a company called Shutters and that she would NOT use them. We are likely just going to pay for her to come along with us. She said it looks to be just generic amusement park type of photography. Sad day, you really do get what you pay for. I've been getting quotes from outside photographers mostly in the 2-4k range.

That's what I'm afraid of! Time to start researching because photography can get pricy. Quotes I've seen will cost me nearly as much as the entire wedding package!!

A lot of those photographers who now charge $2,000-$4,000 for DCL photography started out shooting for just the cost of their cabin in order to get experience. You might try looking for newer photographers whose portfolios you like and see if they would do the same.

I have had a few contact me wanting to take the cruise as payment but a whole lot more who wanting the 2-4k. And I actually haven't received a whole lot of responses from people who have actually done any DCL wedding's... they want that cost yet have never really done destination photography. My personal photog said that you need to find somebody who can take good photos in all lights, especially mid day (which is incredibly difficult) due to when the wedding time will be. We are going to check with our local photog in Texas to see if perhaps she'd like to come with. But of anything else, I'm being told NO, don't use their on board photo service.

Yes! Mid day is very true! The pictures end up looking like Joe Blow took them with an inexpensive camera. thanks for the info!!

I was just married last weekend (4/11/2015) on the Disney Dream we had to use the Disney photographer because we booked so last minute and because honestly
Couldn't afford taking our own photographer...I was terrified of the pictures not coming out great but much to my relief they came out amazing!!! So in love with every picture she took

The photographer I used for my Disney wedding has done a number of DCL weddings (in addition to many Disney weddings). It's Jessica Lea Photography (formally Jess Cumbie Photography). I can't say enough great things about this lady - she's awesome! I have no idea what she charges for a cruise wedding, but she's definitely worth contacting in my opinion. Here's a link to a recent DCL wedding she did click here and a link to a thread I made after my 2011 wedding click here, so you can get an idea of her work. Hopefully I did those links correctly! :)

We used the Disney photographer for our wedding and very disappointed in the pictures. The photos are just that....photos. Nothing special, nothing original or like you see on the Disney Fairytale Weddings page. If you want something that is fresh and young, and you can afford it, I would try to get my own photographer. Some of our friends on the dis board showed up and took pictures of the ceremony and those pictures were actually better than the ones we paid for. Maybe you will get lucky and have a better photographer than we did

I am, too, considering using them for our wedding in December.
My thought was- can I arrange, before we board, to purchase the smallest package and then if we are happy with the photos- go ahead and upgrade our package while on the ship?

We used the Disney photographer for our wedding and very disappointed in the pictures. The photos are just that....photos. Nothing special, nothing original or like you see on the Disney Fairytale Weddings page. If you want something that is fresh and young, and you can afford it, I would try to get my own photographer. Some of our friends on the dis board showed up and took pictures of the ceremony and those pictures were actually better than the ones we paid for. Maybe you will get lucky and have a better photographer than we did

This is was something was also debated on when planing our Fantasy Castaway Cay Wedding. We opted out of using Disney (Shutters) photography. We contacted a few past DCL wedding couples...and all of them all said they same thing....that they were not happy with the photos they got. Also the fact that you have to spend the last night of your cruise picking out all your photos for the print package.

we had a couple family members who are photographers (one a pro others very much into photography) that joined us on our cruise...that worked out well for us. They knew us and what we wanted...and did not have to waste much time trying to get various photos.

while we know not everyone has a pro photographer in their family..any professional would have no trouble getting the photos you need. As you work out ahead of time what shots and photos you must have and work that out pre cruise.

If your doing a Castaway Cay wedding...be prepared for the sun glaring in your face. We have so many photos with eyes shut or squinting due to the sun. Make sure they get various angles to avoid this.

and all the other guest on the island will be taking photos and video of you...and you don't have a clue who they are LOL

again it's up to each person...but we would advise at hiring your own and staying away from Disney's (if you care about your photos)

also keep in mind majority of the photos on DFTW website are paid models/actors
we have a friend who was hired to do one of the famous Disney World castle photos you see everywhere. They were not a couple but 2 models staged for the purpose of marketing material

I was just married last weekend (4/11/2015) on the Disney Dream we had to use the Disney photographer because we booked so last minute and because honestly
Couldn't afford taking our own photographer...I was terrified of the pictures not coming out great but much to my relief they came out amazing!!! So in love with every picture she took

Congrats on your wedding! Ours is Dec 2016. Can you post any of the pics to get an idea?

This is was something was also debated on when planing our Fantasy Castaway Cay Wedding. We opted out of using Disney (Shutters) photography. We contacted a few past DCL wedding couples...and all of them all said they same thing....that they were not happy with the photos they got. Also the fact that you have to spend the last night of your cruise picking out all your photos for the print package.

we had a couple family members who are photographers (one a pro others very much into photography) that joined us on our cruise...that worked out well for us. They knew us and what we wanted...and did not have to waste much time trying to get various photos.

while we know not everyone has a pro photographer in their family..any professional would have no trouble getting the photos you need. As you work out ahead of time what shots and photos you must have and work that out pre cruise.

If your doing a Castaway Cay wedding...be prepared for the sun glaring in your face. We have so many photos with eyes shut or squinting due to the sun. Make sure they get various angles to avoid this.

and all the other guest on the island will be taking photos and video of you...and you don't have a clue who they are LOL

again it's up to each person...but we would advise at hiring your own and staying away from Disney's (if you care about your photos)

also keep in mind majority of the photos on DFTW website are paid models/actors
we have a friend who was hired to do one of the famous Disney World castle photos you see everywhere. They were not a couple but 2 models staged for the purpose of marketing material

The photos of Disney Fairy Tale Weddings are publicity photos, but those pictures on Disney Fine Art Photography, the Disney professional photographers who take the photos in the parks before they open are of actual brides. Go to their website. The pictures are beautiful. I have seen many of them from brides in a group I belong to. They are works of art.

Just to clarify, Disney Fine Art does not shoot Disney Cruise Line weddings. Those are done by an outside vendor who contracts with Disney to provide photography services through Shutters onboard. So you won't see any of their work on DFAP's site.

Hey guys! Update to my post. We ended up going with an outside photographer, the Jessica Lea quoted above. She is out of Jacksonville. She did AMAZING work! We had such a blast working with her. Gosh we have hundreds of photos and she knew all the awesome photos spots. Totally worth the expense. Too many great ones to post but here are a few. Ditto on the squinty eyes lol it was so sunny. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I should also mention Jessica and her assistant were waiting at my door at 8:30AM after my hair appointment and then spent 2 hours after ceremony and reception for pictures around boat. We then got back together at 5:30 for an attempt at a sunset shot (it was cloudy, sad day). So we did get her for way longer than I would've with the Disney package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter