Use of Cell Phones during Theme Park performances.

Kindly advise on how to handle the situation which happened on a recent trip to Disney.

Day 2: At Hollywood Studios, Beauty and the Beast, the man in front of me was filming the entire show with his cell phone up blocking my view, I asked him several times to lower his arm and he stated "no English" so I moved my family to a row a few steps down to the right after the Be Our Guest number. I told a cast member on the way out and she stated that they are aware of it.

Also on that day we saw Frozen Ever After and a lady a few rows in front of us had an IPAD recording most of the show, not a cell phone. I could not move for we were centered in a large crowd nor could I get the attention of the woman. Outside on the way out, I told her that her IPAD recording ruined the show for everyone behind her and she said "Its my vacation" then her husband said he'll knock me out if I speak to her again". I went back to the theater and told a cast member about the IPAD and she said that she would tell her supervisor.

Day 3 The next day at Animal Kingdom this happened at the Lion King show and within 1 minute, a cast member came over and told her to put down the phone. I saw this later in our section too from the same cast member.

Day 4: The next day at Mickey's Philharmagic, a man did this with his phone, I asked him to put it down and he appeared to not understand English so we moved about 5 seats down.

Anyway.....I am hearing that there have been many fights in Movie Theaters this summer at Barbie and Oppenheimer about cell phones in theaters. Should I just accept that this is the new norm or I am just being a KAREN about this. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. I do want to throw hands but I would fired if it went viral.

In the words of elsa....let it go. You never know what sort of person you're dealing with, some people are totally clueless and might be nice, (RARE), and other people are just flat out rude and looking to be a jerk face. Even though disney makes announcements at the beginning of the shows to not obscure others views, people are ignorant and many people just feel like the rules don't apply to them. They're the same people that use flash photos on rides, have their phone brightness up to 100% on Haunted Mansion, they run in front of little kids to get in lines, they're just idiots and not worth the time of day.

No show/attraction at WDW, or any where for that matter, is worth getting into an altercation on your vacation, and saying something to someone after the fact when they already were a jerk face isn't going to go over well, ever. Just move on, ignore it and enjoy your time.

I understand asking nicely while in the show but there was no point to tell the woman on your way out of the frozen show. It was done and over with. You couldn’t go bank and change the show.

People are nutty these days and who knows what they might do. It’s just not worth an altercation or huge fight while on vacation.

I’ll never understand wanting to film rides or shows. You can probably find a video of every ride or show on YouTube already.
Because we want to re-watch our memories and why would I want to watch a video that I know my family was not a part of:confused3. We use to always video parades, shows and rides and our DDs have re-watched them over and over again going back to when they were infants. They love watching themselves as infants and toddlers:) I even copied them to a DVD to play in our van, usually when we are driving to WDW:D. We have some great moments caught on video, with our family, not some strangers. Like the time during a parade where a WDW dancer asked for our video camera and started filming us and then the other dancers and characters, and told us to follow. Then Jessie saw her and she took it and filmed our family with the dancer and Woody, it was crazy and a once in a lifetime moment. Yes, we have the memory but it's 100 times better when you can actually relive it by watching the video. Videos of rides are hilarious, the faces that our family have made while on them are priceless, again I cannot get that by searching youtube. So, that is why we like to video. My DW and I are never hold our cameras above our own eye level, so not to interfere with the people behind us. Also, we would never use an ipad to take videos, because there is no way you can NOT interfere with some ones view with those, not to mention who would want to carry those big things around all day. LOL

The problem is no one that is kind would do this, so you are already dealing with a rude person. The guy's comment just confirms that. I would have called security on him. Until they are removed from the park for threatening others it will continue. If someone is using a device it should be blocking their view and no one else.

I would have definitely let a CM or security know he threatened you. That’s not acceptable. At all.

Kim
Thank you, I was not scared by him or his threat, he looked down not in my eye when he threatened so I knew he was just saving face in front of his kids by getting the last word. I did push his buttons as I asked his wife "how can you be so inconsiderate of others?". Anyway we had a great day. Thanks for your tip.

When you attend a show or parade at Walt Disney World and Disneyland the number one rule that they always enforce even on rides is this rule and this rule is mentioned on signs of the theaters and in the entertainment guides and the rule is "PLEASE NO VIDEOTAPING OR FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED DURING SHOWS OR RIDES. "PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAMERA"S FLASH IF YOU DECIDE TO FILM OR TAKE PHOTOS" And I'm surprised that Disney Parks even allowed the use of IPADs for taking photos of parades and shows and people are taking pictures and movies with cell phones or smart phones. Because for a long time Disney Parks have had this rule. I have never witnessed things like this during my family's Disney vacations and my mom and dad used to take home movies of me riding the rides and seeing the shows and nobody questioned my parents about this rule. I think what Disney Parks are doing is a new rule system enforcing the use of videotaping shows and parades and filming the rides as a home movie and I think if this continues they will ban cell phone cameras and allow comcorders only as well as regular cameras to make it safer for everyone

When you attend a show or parade at Walt Disney World and Disneyland the number one rule that they always enforce even on rides is this rule and this rule is mentioned on signs of the theaters and in the entertainment guides and the rule is "PLEASE NO VIDEOTAPING OR FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED DURING SHOWS OR RIDES. "PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAMERA"S FLASH IF YOU DECIDE TO FILM OR TAKE PHOTOS" And I'm surprised that Disney Parks even allowed the use of IPADs for taking photos of parades and shows and people are taking pictures and movies with cell phones or smart phones. Because for a long time Disney Parks have had this rule. I have never witnessed things like this during my family's Disney vacations and my mom and dad used to take home movies of me riding the rides and seeing the shows and nobody questioned my parents about this rule. I think what Disney Parks are doing is a new rule system enforcing the use of videotaping shows and parades and filming the rides as a home movie and I think if this continues they will ban cell phone cameras and allow comcorders only as well as regular cameras to make it safer for everyone
I don't think so. I think they've done what they intend to do, making "loose articles" against the rules on a couple of big coasters where it's a safety issue. I don't expect anything else.

Because we want to re-watch our memories and why would I want to watch a video that I know my family was not a part of:confused3. We use to always video parades, shows and rides and our DDs have re-watched them over and over again going back to when they were infants. They love watching themselves as infants and toddlers:) I even copied them to a DVD to play in our van, usually when we are driving to WDW:D. We have some great moments caught on video, with our family, not some strangers. Like the time during a parade where a WDW dancer asked for our video camera and started filming us and then the other dancers and characters, and told us to follow. Then Jessie saw her and she took it and filmed our family with the dancer and Woody, it was crazy and a once in a lifetime moment. Yes, we have the memory but it's 100 times better when you can actually relive it by watching the video. Videos of rides are hilarious, the faces that our family have made while on them are priceless, again I cannot get that by searching youtube. So, that is why we like to video. My DW and I are never hold our cameras above our own eye level, so not to interfere with the people behind us. Also, we would never use an ipad to take videos, because there is no way you can NOT interfere with some ones view with those, not to mention who would want to carry those big things around all day. LOL

I think this is completely different than someone just pointing their gigantic iPad at the fireworks while blocking everyone’s view. You are actually recording your children taking in the moment. You are recording yourselves enjoying rides and shows. I’ve done the same while keeping my phone in front of me and not blocking everyone’s views.

I’ve been behind the giant iPad just full on recording the lion king show or a parade. They never panned to their family or kids or themselves. They were just recording the show. It is very annoying and I also think the same thing. There are tons of videos of the show….just watch it on YouTube later.

I think this is completely different than someone just pointing their gigantic iPad at the fireworks while blocking everyone’s view. You are actually recording your children taking in the moment. You are recording yourselves enjoying rides and shows. I’ve done the same while keeping my phone in front of me and not blocking everyone’s views.

I’ve been behind the giant iPad just full on recording the lion king show or a parade. They never panned to their family or kids or themselves. They were just recording the show. It is very annoying and I also think the same thing. There are tons of videos of the show….just watch it on YouTube later.
The ipads are the worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter