• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Use a handicap spot or use the shuttle?

ACODonnell

Earning My Ears
I’m not completely sure if our hotel has a shuttle to Universal since we’re staying a half hour or so away. We’re renting a car & bringing my husband’s handicap placard along. If the hotel does have a shuttle, is it better to use that? Or since we have a handicap placard, does that make parking easier & closer to the entrance? If he’s in pain, we want to make sure we can leave quickly too. Thanks for your help! We’ve never gone to Universal before & leave in a few weeks!

Handicap parking is on the same level as bag check and in the main garage at least, is located closest to bag check. Handicap does tend to fill up though; I don't know where they park handicap when that section is full. They may have another section in the other garage.

If you're half an hour or so away from Universal, the chances that your hotel will have a shuttle are small. If your hotel does have a shuttle, it will be extremely limited (like one or maybe two runs per day). If being able to leave in a timely way is important, drive.

My advice would be plan to get there early so you can secure a close parking space, and then you can leave whenever you want. Even if you don't get a really close spot, you're probably still better off driving than waiting on a limited hotel shuttle.

I just returned and was in a walking boot. I didn't have a handicap tag, but asked if there was anyway they could get me closer (without having to pay the $9 Prime cost). They slipped a sheet of paper under the wiper and told me to make sure the first Cast Member we met saw it. Once we got to the person directing cars down the aisle, they let me park close to the elevators. The one day it was full, they let me park on the end of the aisle so I didn't have to walk the length of the row. If you are arriving later and think the handicap spots are filled, you might ask if they can let you park close to an elevator.

Thank you for your replies! I've never gone to a place like this before (not even Disney), so I'm hoping it isn't too overwhelming.

Thank you for your replies! I've never gone to a place like this before (not even Disney), so I'm hoping it isn't too overwhelming.

Universal is less overwhelming than Disney because there's really no pre-planning needed the way people schedule fast passes in advance at WDW. Having an overall game plan might be good. While Universal Orlando is more compact than WDW, there's still a lot of ground to cover, especially if you have mobility issues.

You might want to pull up a map of the parks to get a general idea of what is where. Both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are positioned, roughly, in a circle with a pond in the middle. Generally people choose to go either clockwise or counterclockwise around the park. If you have park-to-park tickets, you can go from one park to the other either through the front entrance and a brief stroll through city walk, or by taking the Hogwarts Express (located in the back of each park). Realize that the only way to ride the Hogwarts Express is to have park-to-park tickets, and it's a different ride (storyline) in each direction.

There are many blogs and youtube videos that will give you a sense of what each attraction is like so you can better plan out what you'd like to see.

Have fun!

I would say arrive early to try to secure a handicapped spot, especially since you said you would like to have the ability to leave in the case that they're feeling pain. If you need to leave suddenly it wouldn't be a breeze if you had to wait for a shuttle and as others have pointed out, that's if there would be one anyway as you said your hotel is about a half hour, or so away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter