US Soccer matches

I fully support the USWNT's accomplishments and I'm proud of them. I disagree how they got a new pay deal (using social media and news outlets to get their way because the courts kept ruling against them because they had little legal standing according to those courts). I fully support equal pay by the way.

The Women's team has caused a rift between the USMNT's fanbase as well, which doesn't help the sport grow in this country (not to mention politicians trying to insert themselves into the conversation when they see fit, like the president saying he could withhold 2026 funding if US Soccer didn't comply to what he was asking). I'm not being negative but the women's team comes off to me sometimes as arrogant because they think the team's accomplishments make them superior to the USMNT automatically when competition is much more harder on the men's side to achieve anything. My point is when the world wakes up to women sports, they will not be seen as the best much longer (and I say that as a team usa fan that roots for all our national teams). European and South American countries are waking up and the USWNT will drop from number 1 down to the mid 20's in world rankings (like the USMNT) sooner than later.
How did the women cause a rift between the USMNT's fanbase?

I think it is odd that you think you know what the USWNT thinks.

I see a group of athletes who worked together on and off the field, used every avenue possible to achieve their goal of equal pay (courts, social media, politicians, etc.) and competed at the highest level on the world stage to achieve success.
They are role models for children and adults around the world. Their fight will help women all over the world gain equal opportunity and equal pay.
Our daughter plays college soccer. She appreciates the difficult fight that these women took on so that they and others would be treated better in the future.

Maybe you're right and the USWNT will rank lower in the future, like the USMNT.
But it sounds like your saying the men have it harder and don't worry the women will soon be unsuccessful when instead I think you might consider celebrating the USWMT by saying these women were successful in their fight on and off the field. They achieved level of success that the men never had to even fight for.

How did the women cause a rift between the USMNT's fanbase?

I think it is odd that you think you know what the USWNT thinks.

I see a group of athletes who worked together on and off the field, used every avenue possible to achieve their goal of equal pay (courts, social media, politicians, etc.) and competed at the highest level on the world stage to achieve success.
They are role models for children and adults around the world. Their fight will help women all over the world gain equal opportunity and equal pay.
Our daughter plays college soccer. She appreciates the difficult fight that these women took on so that they and others would be treated better in the future.

Maybe you're right and the USWNT will rank lower in the future, like the USMNT.
But it sounds like your saying the men have it harder and don't worry the women will soon be unsuccessful when instead I think you might consider celebrating the USWMT by saying these women were successful in their fight on and off the field. They achieved level of success that the men never had to even fight for.
Have you looked at the court cases? They signed a deal and then wanted to break the agreement and take away money from the men's program because FIFA not USSF determines the prize money they get paid. And because they couldn't go after FIFA, they went after USSF and kept loosing in court because they signed a deal that they felt should be renegotiated. When it didn't work they went to the news, social media, and congress (who the majority do not understand the soccer industry/system) to get what they want. It became essentially a smear campaign against the men's team. I'm just a fan but the deal wasn't achieved the right way. You can say who cares if you like but I believe how you achieve an agreement matters as much as the result. They achieve success on the field based partly on their talent but majority of it is because they face little competition in order to win. Majority of women national teams globally are underfunded and therefore do not the same level of talented athletes. Without title 9, the USA would have been in the same boat. As I said before, I support the women's team (I'm currently watching them play the Dutch) but their value as players (not the person) is based on how much women's soccer earns monetarily not just on what's equal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but does not the new deal say that what ever team (both the men and women teams) has to give a percentage of their winnings to the others programs? If that's the case, the men who would earn more from their WC has to give a percentage of what they earn to the women and visa versa. Is that truly equal? The answer would be for FIFA and its confederations to raise the winnings for all tournaments to be equal and the same for both men and women tournaments. Again, the women went after USSF not FIFA and that's what partly bugs the fanbase. A court of public opinion should not replace the validly of the law (I'm not an attorney, this is just what I feel).

I'll also say this. If the USWNT never won a WC, would they get the same praise and attention from the media on and off the field? The most likely answer is no and that should tell you how much more the world lacks in supporting women's sports programs. It is shameful to be honest since we should all be seen as equal but unfortunately as a society we have a long way to go.

Have you looked at the court cases? They signed a deal and then wanted to break the agreement and take away money from the men's program because FIFA not USSF determines the prize money they get paid. And because they couldn't go after FIFA, they went after USSF and kept loosing in court because they signed a deal that they felt should be renegotiated. When it didn't work they went to the news, social media, and congress (who the majority do not understand the soccer industry/system) to get what they want. It became essentially a smear campaign against the men's team. I'm just a fan but the deal wasn't achieved the right way. You can say who cares if you like but I believe how you achieve an agreement matters as much as the result. They achieve success on the field based partly on their talent but majority of it is because they face little competition in order to win. Majority of women national teams globally are underfunded and therefore do not the same level of talented athletes. Without title 9, the USA would have been in the same boat. As I said before, I support the women's team (I'm currently watching them play the Dutch) but their value as players (not the person) is based on how much women's soccer earns monetarily not just on what's equal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but does not the new deal say that what ever team (both the men and women teams) has to give a percentage of their winnings to the others programs? If that's the case, the men who would earn more from their WC has to give a percentage of what they earn to the women and visa versa. Is that truly equal? The answer would be for FIFA and its confederations to raise the winnings for all tournaments to be equal and the same for both men and women tournaments. Again, the women went after USSF not FIFA and that's what partly bugs the fanbase. A court of public opinion should not replace the validly of the law (I'm not an attorney, this is just what I feel).

I'll also say this. If the USWNT never won a WC, would they get the same praise and attention from the media on and off the field? The most likely answer is no and that should tell you how much more the world lacks in supporting women's sports programs. It is shameful to be honest since we should all be seen as equal but unfortunately as a society we have a long way to go.

I guess this is just one of those situations where 2 people see things very differently.

I have definitely not looked into the court cases.

If the USWNT never won a WC, I would still look up to them for standing up for themselves and others.

I am still going to stick to my original position that we don't have to put the USWNT down for their accomplishments because someone thinks that they had it easier, especially when they achieved so much for the greater good in pursuit of their goals.

I loved the Google Megan Rapinoe commercial during tonight's game. ❤️

Buzz, I respect that you have researched your information. I just have a different focus I guess.

Tonight was a stressful nail biter and the first half was awful to watch. Loved the second half. Can't wait for the next!

I guess this is just one of those situations where 2 people see things very differently.

I have definitely not looked into the court cases.

If the USWNT never won a WC, I would still look up to them for standing up for themselves and others.

I am still going to stick to my original position that we don't have to put the USWNT down for their accomplishments because someone thinks that they had it easier, especially when they achieved so much for the greater good in pursuit of their goals.

I loved the Google Megan Rapinoe commercial during tonight's game. ❤️

Buzz, I respect that you have researched your information. I just have a different focus I guess.

Tonight was a stressful nail biter and the first half was awful to watch. Loved the second half. Can't wait for the next!
Please note that I fully respect your viewpoints and opinion. I respect the women's team fight for equality 💯. I have no children but one day I hope too and if I ever had a daughter, I would hope they feel that all people should be treated equal in all aspects including payment/employment. I don't look at the USWNT negatively, I just wish they got what they wanted in a different way. An after affect of what they achieved has partly affected other soccer federations/associations around the world (Canada's come to mind being a complex after effect). Truly, they achieved something to better themselves and generations after but it has sent several unintentionally shockwaves through out the soccer world.

We have friends who watched the match in person and they said Portugal definitely outplayed the U.S. team. Long way to travel for such a dismal game. Here's hoping the next round goes better!

I wasn't impressed with the team's performance against Vietnam. DW and I, talking after that game, said if we don't improve, it's going to be a short run. While I didn't see this morning's game, doesn't sound like we improved too much. Although the 2nd half of the Netherland's game looked decent.

Are we playing "down" to our opponents?

They are taking winning the WC for granted. That mentality needs to change quickly or their next match will over in the first 45 minutes. The USMNT fight for the ball every match they play. The USWNT has to start playing with that mentality again as well.

Just an FYI, if there are new fans of the sport, these links may be of interest to you:

https://www.ussoccer.com/all-matches

https://www.mlssoccer.com/

https://www.uslsoccer.com/

https://www.premierleague.com/

https://www.legaseriea.it/en

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga

https://www.ligue1.com/

https://www.laliga.com/en-GB

Feel free to follow my soccer threads if your interest in the sport increases as well. Great thread OP. I hope more Disboarders give the sport a chance as the tournament continues.

I agreed with Carlie Lloyd. The USWNT was just OK, nothing special. In particular I would say Alex Morgan missed A LOT of chances, and Megan Rapinoe has been nothing short of a distraction. And all that nonsense with the national anthem? Jeebus, be better already! As a comparison, check out team Colombia. It is a freaking PARTY when their anthem is played, and Lord knows Colombia has it's problems when it comes to the treatment of women. Put it aside and represent - is it so hard? News for the US women, you are treated FAR better and have FAR more opportunities than just about, no I would say than the women in EVERY other country. That's why you have been a mile ahead of everyone - until now - and that is YOUR fault. Take a long look in the mirror ladies - fix what is wrong with YOUR game - there is noone else to blame. You have scored only 4 goals in group play and 3 of those were against Vietnam. Portugal blanked you? They've never even been in the WC! Yeah, it really is that bad.

My not-so-darkhorse for the tourney has to be Japan. Such solid defense - they had 9 of 11 back each time Spain entered their zone. The counter-attack was so confident - it's no wonder they blew out Spain. They would have beat the US for sure as well.

Buzz's prediction: USA lose to Sweden next round, England wins the World Cup, Japan wins 2nd, and Australia wins 3rd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter