US Soccer matches

Cogswel_Cogs

DIS Veteran
So are they doing unique time for the USA matches in world cup. Why is USA playing at 9PM or is it tape delay, I do not se it at any other time and all the games seem to be at 2AM to about 9AM.

I wondered that as well, but I see an 8pm game on Thursday as well (Argentina) and the third US game (Sunday) is at 3am, so it isn't all their games. No complaint that they actually have a couple games at a reasonable East Coast time, though. Not a chance I'm getting up at 3am for Sunday's game. :p

So are they doing unique time for the USA matches in world cup. Why is USA playing at 9PM or is it tape delay, I do not se it at any other time and all the games seem to be at 2AM to about 9AM.
Matches are in Australia and New Zealand (the host countries). They are 12 hours ahead of US ET.

Matches are in Australia and New Zealand (the host countries). They are 12 hours ahead of US ET.
New Zealand is much more than 12 hours. It's currently 7:15AM ET and 11:15PM in NZ.

Australia is anywhere from 11-14 hours ahead. So it's anywhere from 6:15p-10:15P there.

Games at 2-3a in the morning ET would be in the afternoon Down Under. I wonder if part of Fox's broadcast deal is having the US play morning games in Australia (making them night games in the US).

I'm not complaining. I'd rather watch a game at 9p (although it will end after my bedtime), then get up to watch at 3am.

ETA: Going to this site: https://www.worldcupsc.com/news/fifa-womens-world-cup-2023-schedule-pdf-printable/ shows all the games in local (Australia) time. US played Vietnam at 1p. There are two group games that start at 12:30p and one knockout game.

If I'm doing my math right, the Final match, scheduled for 8p in Sydney, will kick off at 6a ET in the US.

Last edited:

TBF, most of the world does not care about the FIFA Women's World Cup. Fox cares less about it to a point because it makes them little money.

Australia and NZ are primarily hosting it because they lost the 2022 FIFA Men's World Cup hosting bid and wanted this tournament to prove to FIFA they can host a future expanded Men's World Cup. And they need to just as much as the USA needed to host the 2026 edition in order for the sport to grow and the domestic league to be taken more seriously. The A League is a decent league but talent wise is is below European and Asian leagues, as well as MLS. They need their citizens to participate more in the sport, attend and support the local teams, and have kids start to increase enrollment in profesonal soccer academies. That is the key to future soccer success in Australia.

USA hosting the 2026 WC and 2028 Olympics will have a similar effect (hopefully). Not to mention the 2024 Copa America (joint competition between USA's region and South America) being hosted here in the US next summer and an expanded Gold Cup in 2025. Fox has the TV rights to all of them and those are the soccer events (along with Euro 2024) that people truly watch and care about (and makes the real global soccer money). I get why many think the USWNT are a good team, but they mostly win due to their opponents inferior talent because most of those countries don't care about women sports and lack investment in them (which I believe is wrong and believe sports should be funded equally).

Once European and South America nations invest more into women's soccer, the USWNT won't win any tournaments in the future. Remember, this team loses to men's teams majority of the time. FIFA will see an increase of viewership in Asia and Europe because more countries are participating and the time zones situation. Less Americans will watch unfortunately because of the time difference, so casuals will not tune in, which hurts Fox's bottom line.

As soon as this tournament is done, Fox will immediately talk about the USMNT upcoming schedule, the Bundesliga and the European qualifiers. You will not see them talk about the USWNT for at least 2 months after the Women's World Cup since TNT owns the rights to their upcoming friendlies in September vs South Africa.

Last edited:
TBF, most of the world does not care about the FIFA Women's World Cup. Fox cares less about it to a point because it makes them little money. Australia and NZ are primarily hosting it because they lost the 2022 FIFA Men's World Cup hosting bid and wanted this tournament to prove to FIFA they can host a future expanded Men's World Cup. And they need to just as much as the USA needed to host the 2026 edition in order for the sport to grow and the domestic league to be taken more seriously. The A League is a decent league but talent wise is is below European and Asian leagues, as well as MLS. They need their citizens to participate more in the sport, attend and support the local teams, and have kids start to increase enrollment in profesonal soccer academies. That is the key to future soccer success in Australia. USA's hosting the 2026 WC and 2028 Olympics will have a similar effect (hopefully). Not to mention the 2024 Copa America (joint competition between USA's region and South America) being hosted here in the US next summer and an expanded Gold Cup in 2025. Fox has the TV rights to all of them and those are the soccer events (along with Euro 2024) that people truly watch and care about (and makes the real global soccer money). I get why many think the USWNT are a good team, but they mostly win due to their opponents inferior talent because most of those countries don't care about women sports and lack investment in them (which I believe is the wrong and believe sports should be funded equally). Once European and South America nations invest more into women's soccer, the USWNT won't win any tournaments in the future. Remember, this team loses to men's teams majority of the time. FIFA will see an increase of viewership in Asia and Europe because more countries are participating and the time zones situation. Less Americans will watch unfortunately because of the time difference, so casuals will not tune in, which hurts Fox's bottom line. As soon as this tournament is done, Fox will immediately talk about the USMNT upcoming schedule, the Bundesliga and the European qualifiers. You will not see them talk about the USWNT for at least 2 months after the Women's World Cup since TNT owns the rights to their upcoming friendlies in September vs South Africa.
First, paragraph breaks would help make that more readable.

Second, regarding the bolded, women's teams will lose to men's teams the majority of the time in ANY sport, at ANY level. Men and women are simply physiologically different. You can't get away from that.

ETA: Women's sports will generally get fewer viewers than men's sports, again pretty much at any level. Look at how many people watch NBA vs WNBA, MLS vs NWSL, MLB vs Softball. It even extends down to the youth game.

DD plays soccer. She noticed in Middle School the boys soccer team would get more fans than the girls despite the girls winning their conference 4 years in a row while the boys accomplished it once.

First, paragraph breaks would help make that more readable.

Second, regarding the bolded, women's teams will lose to men's teams the majority of the time in ANY sport, at ANY level. Men and women are simply physiologically different. You can't get away from that.

ETA: Women's sports will generally get fewer viewers than men's sports, again pretty much at any level. Look at how many people watch NBA vs WNBA, MLS vs NWSL, MLB vs Softball. It even extends down to the youth game.

DD plays soccer. She noticed in Middle School the boys soccer team would get more fans than the girls despite the girls winning their conference 4 years in a row while the boys accomplished it once.
I agree 💯. Sorry about not breaking up the paragraphs. I'll fix that.

TBF, most of the world does not care about the FIFA Women's World Cup. Fox cares less about it to a point because it makes them little money. Australia and NZ are primarily hosting it because they lost the 2022 FIFA Men's World Cup hosting bid and wanted this tournament to prove to FIFA they can host a future expanded Men's World Cup. And they need to just as much as the USA needed to host the 2026 edition in order for the sport to grow and the domestic league to be taken more seriously. The A League is a decent league but talent wise is is below European and Asian leagues, as well as MLS. They need their citizens to participate more in the sport, attend and support the local teams, and have kids start to increase enrollment in profesonal soccer academies. That is the key to future soccer success in Australia. USA's hosting the 2026 WC and 2028 Olympics will have a similar effect (hopefully). Not to mention the 2024 Copa America (joint competition between USA's region and South America) being hosted here in the US next summer and an expanded Gold Cup in 2025. Fox has the TV rights to all of them and those are the soccer events (along with Euro 2024) that people truly watch and care about (and makes the real global soccer money). I get why many think the USWNT are a good team, but they mostly win due to their opponents inferior talent because most of those countries don't care about women sports and lack investment in them (which I believe is the wrong and believe sports should be funded equally). Once European and South America nations invest more into women's soccer, the USWNT won't win any tournaments in the future. Remember, this team loses to men's teams majority of the time. FIFA will see an increase of viewership in Asia and Europe because more countries are participating and the time zones situation. Less Americans will watch unfortunately because of the time difference, so casuals will not tune in, which hurts Fox's bottom line. As soon as this tournament is done, Fox will immediately talk about the USMNT upcoming schedule, the Bundesliga and the European qualifiers. You will not see them talk about the USWNT for at least 2 months after the Women's World Cup since TNT owns the rights to their upcoming friendlies in September vs South Africa.
I am not sure how you meant your post to be received, as tone and intent are always difficult in text.
To me, your post comes off as a little negative towards the USWNT.

I agree, most of the world might not care. But many will. (I think you could say that about many things.) We are a huge sport family and of course we have seen the coverage of Messi greatly overshadow the Women's FIFA this week. Yes, that does prove your point. But we don't need to put down the accomplishments of the women in order to acknowledge the popularity of the men. The men have had much more time and opportunity to gain popularity, as you noted, so this should not be a surprise that they have more interest.

I think that the USWNT had to fight hard to get where they are and I think their fight will help others around the world. This is good for everyone. FIFA has also changed their rules slightly so now athletes may have more opportunities to play for another country, which may have some impact, as well.

Our family follows the USWNT but has never watched a men's game, ever. Yes, I know we are in the minority, just saying we are excited for this tournament! ⚽ 🇺🇸

I am not sure how you meant your post to be received, as tone and intent are always difficult in text.

I agree, most of the world might not care. But many will. (I think you could say that about many things.) We are a huge sport family and of course we have seen the coverage of Messi greatly overshadow the Women's FIFA this week. Yes, that does prove your point. But we don't need to put down the accomplishments of the women in order to acknowledge the popularity of the men. The men have had much more time and opportunity to gain popularity, as you noted, so this should not be a surprise that they have more interest.

I think that the USWNT had to fight hard to get where they are and I think their fight will help others around the world. This is good for everyone. FIFA has also changed their rules slightly so now athletes may have more opportunities to play for another country, which may have some impact, as well.

Our family follows the USWNT but has never watched a men's game, ever. Yes, I know we are in the minority, just saying we are excited for this tournament! ⚽ 🇺🇸
I fully support the USWNT's accomplishments and I'm proud of them. I disagree how they got a new pay deal (using social media and news outlets to get their way because the courts kept ruling against them because they had little legal standing according to those courts). I fully support equal pay by the way.

The Women's team has caused a rift between the USMNT's fanbase as well, which doesn't help the sport grow in this country (not to mention politicians trying to insert themselves into the conversation when they see fit, like the president saying he could withhold 2026 funding if US Soccer didn't comply to what he was asking). I'm not being negative but the women's team comes off to me sometimes as arrogant because they think the team's accomplishments make them superior to the USMNT automatically when competition is much more harder on the men's side to achieve anything. My point is when the world wakes up to women sports, they will not be seen as the best much longer (and I say that as a team usa fan that roots for all our national teams). European and South American countries are waking up and the USWNT will drop from number 1 down to the mid 20's in world rankings (like the USMNT) sooner than later.

Also give a USMNT or MLS match a chance.

which doesn't help the sport grow in this country
Why is it only soccer where I hear folks lament about "needing the sport to grow"? I don't hear about it from other "minor" sports (softball, golf, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse, etc). Heck, even Pickleball, "the next big thing", I don't hear people concerned about a lack of participation/viewership.

Either people will catch on or they won't. Posts on random message boards won't really help.

Why is it only soccer where I hear folks lament about "needing the sport to grow"? I don't hear about it from other "minor" sports (softball, golf, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse, etc). Heck, even Pickleball, "the next big thing", I don't hear people concerned about a lack of participation/viewership.

Either people will catch on or they won't. Posts on random message boards won't really help.
Soccer is the only truly global sport that has the ability to grow. Humans have played it a variety of ways since the invention of the ball.

Please explain the bolded. Other sports can't "grow"? How do you define "grow"?
It is the easiest sport to learn, requires minimum equipment, and cost the least to play. It has many levels of intensity to play (Sunday leagues to Champions league levels). It has multiple avenues to produce fans and athletes of the sport. It has global exposure from every country and culture. Anywhere in the world you will see someone playing a version of the sport. Other sports have higher health concerns in comparison to soccer. Growth in those other sports are becomeing less interesting and more expensive for younger generations to learn and play. I posted a thread a while ago here if anyone would be following the new American T20 cricket major league or major league rugby. 99 percent said no or they didn't want to give the sport a chance. No other sports is really seeing the gradual growth soccer is having. It's partly millenials driving that and our professional leagues having success. Golf, and minor sports (with exceptions to common recreational activities like swimming, boating, skiing, snowboarding), have most likely capped it's growth potential. Cricket and rugby could grow here with more immigration from south Asia/Pacific and European countries. But again that's a big if given that every individual is unique and not everybody follows what is popular based on their heritage.

It is the easiest sport to learn, requires minimum equipment, and cost the least to play. It has many levels of intensity to play (Sunday leagues to Champions league levels). It has multiple avenues to produce fans and athletes of the sport. It has global exposure from every country and culture. Anywhere in the world you will see someone playing a version of the sport. Other sports have higher health concerns in comparison to soccer. Growth in those other sports are becomeing less interesting and more expensive for younger generations to learn and play. I posted a thread a while ago here if anyone would be following the new American T20 cricket major league or major league rugby. 99 percent said no or they didn't want to give the sport a chance. No other sports is really seeing the gradual growth soccer is having. It's partly millenials driving that and our professional leagues having success. Golf, and minor sports (with exceptions to common recreational activities like swimming, boating, skiing, snowboarding), have most likely capped it's growth potential. Cricket and rugby could grow here with more immigration from south Asia/Pacific and European countries. But again that's a big if given that every individual is unique and not everybody follows what is popular based on their heritage.
Huh? How does ANY of that keep other sports from "growing"? Let's break this down... how do you define "grow"?

Participation? I'm guessing here, but compare soccer's numbers from say 20 years ago to now. Then compare lacrosse's numbers from 20 years ago to now. Pickleball?

Viewership/Interest? Compare how many MLS matches were broadcast 20 years ago until now (now you probably get all of them, plus a good chunk of lower leagues plus college). BUT, I'm also seeing lacrosse matches, pickleball matches, heck, even spikeball will get broadcast every once in a while. Cornhole is broadcast every other night it seems.

So I still disagree that soccer is the ONLY sport that can "grow". And it still doesn't answer the question about why so many are lamenting it "not"(?) growing.

I adore women's soccer. My oldest played starting at the age of 3. Unfortunately, I don't have cable so I'm just watching the 5 minute YouTube clips. In four years a dear friend's daughter will most likely be playing for Canada and I will find a way to watch.

I adore women's soccer. My oldest played starting at the age of 3. Unfortunately, I don't have cable so I'm just watching the 5 minute YouTube clips. In four years a dear friend's daughter will most likely be playing for Canada and I will find a way to watch.
Is Fox and Telemundo over the air? Peacock may be an option as well. That's where most of the team USA matches are for the FIFA Women's World Cup. Good luck to your friend's daughter on making Les Rouges. I think women's soccer is a great thing by the way. I'm just trying to point out the current perspective most of world thinks about it. I would love to be proven wrong though. On a positive note, the NWSL is rumored to be expanding and the USL I believe is going to expand a women's league as well. Concacaf is putting forward a women's Gold Cup for the first time as well. The Europeans, to their credit, already have a women's European Championship to and European Champions leagues as well. In that respect they are ahead of the USA at the moment.

Huh? How does ANY of that keep other sports from "growing"? Let's break this down... how do you define "grow"?

Participation? I'm guessing here, but compare soccer's numbers from say 20 years ago to now. Then compare lacrosse's numbers from 20 years ago to now. Pickleball?

Viewership/Interest? Compare how many MLS matches were broadcast 20 years ago until now (now you probably get all of them, plus a good chunk of lower leagues plus college). BUT, I'm also seeing lacrosse matches, pickleball matches, heck, even spikeball will get broadcast every once in a while. Cornhole is broadcast every other night it seems.

So I still disagree that soccer is the ONLY sport that can "grow". And it still doesn't answer the question about why so many are lamenting it "not"(?) growing.
Popularity drives sponsors and tv ratings, which determines economic growth of sports. If there is no economic advantages for investing in a sport in a national setting, the chances of a sports growth among the entire population is very slim. Money is the ultimate factor in a sports growth.

Popularity drives sponsors and tv ratings, which determines economic growth of sports. If there is no economic advantages for investing in a sport in a national setting, the chances of a sports growth among the entire population is very slim. Money is the ultimate factor in a sports growth.
So does that mean you're measuring "growth" using money? How? The fees people pay to participate? The income from media deals? The income from attendance?

I believe soccer participation has always been high. Americans have been playing a version of it back in the 18th century (Native Americans even longer). Lacrosse popularity varies by area. Given that it is a Native American invention, I would think racism stopped its growth until the mid 1900's. Soccer was popular until the start of Cold War 1 and gained popularity again in the 1970's (thank you Pele, may you rest in peace). MLS now relies on streaming, the European leagues will always have higher ratings than most American low profile sports games. ESPN showing cornhole is because Disney is cutting back on TV rights spending not what is popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter