• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

US$ in Cozumel

Kit Jackson

DIS Veteran
If I am going on an excursion in Cozumel and want to buy something in a store nearby should I have local currency or will those places still accept US dollars/a US credit card? Is there a place where we can buy alebrije’s? We are doing the chocolate piñata excursion if that helps.

You will be able to use US dollars in any of the businesses close to the cruise ports and tourist areas. However, you’ll get a terrible rate of exchange, and if there is any change coming to you, it will be in pesos.

Some merchants list prices in dollars or pesos/dollars.

Credit cards (with no exchange fee) are widely accepted around the world. Especially tourist areas. ☺️. I haven’t exchanged currency in years. (Except to pay for a replacement passport in Guatemala - at the US Consulate. They only accepted local currency in cash. Go figure.)

To elaborate on the above:

- Major retailers will price in MXN. Nearly all will accept USD but the exchange rate will be poor -a nearly always poorer than if you paid with a credit card with a foreign exchange fee (and thankfully many cards these days waive such fees). Always look for or ask about the exchange rate done by the retailer.

- In Cozumel, mom and pop vendors will price in and prefer USD. This is true of the major touristy places in Mexico.

Like other's have said, a credit card with no foreign transaction fees will be your best bet.

If you do need cash, ATM's will often have the best exchange rate (rather than changing at your bank before you leave home). Just know, roughly, what that rate is. I thought the $100 pesos I was getting was a lot. It's like $5 USD.

I used my credit card in Cozumel, but I stayed at the Mall just outside the port, we didn't go anywhere too far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter