Urgent help needed! Chip and pin?

rosh

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We're in Florida right now and have brought less cash this year as we planned to use our Post Office credit card to make a lot of purchases. When we came last year we only ever had to sign or simply show ID when using the card, however in walmart last night I noticed the couple in front of us had to use chip and pin.

I do not know the PIN number for my credit card as I've never had to use it before so my question is -

does everywhere now use chip and pin, if not - where does and doesn't?

And if I will need my pin, how the hell am I going to go about getting it when I'm in Florida?, :confused3:confused3:confused:

In Florida we were asked to sign for our chip and pin cards in Walmart and almost everywhere else. When we were at Disney we put purchases on our KTTW and it was automatically taken from our card without us having to do anything. I am not sure we used a pin anywhere but I have to confess we use chip and pin all the time so it wouldn't jump out at me. You can however easily withdraw cash at any cash machine with your normal bank card. I don't know how you get a pin urgently. I'm not sure you can.

I guess your best bet is to try it and see if it works and if not call your bank and see what they can do to help. I know someone who lost all their card and their bank wired money to them.

Used my Post Office card on all 3 trips this year, about £6,000 of transactions, I recall only 3 or 4 transactions requiring my PIN, all of them in Walmart, Turkey Lake Rd.
I am not even sure if other Walmarts use Chip & PIN, I was told over a year ago they were chosen to trial the system, don't know if that's true or not.

You should be OK everywhere else, unfortunately if you do struggle you will have to draw cash out, that is the only downside to Post Office compared to Halifax Clarity.
PO charge 2.5% min. £3 then 26.9%
Halifax Clarity no withdrawal fee then 12.9% - 21.95%
These are ontop of any local ATM charges.
Saying that even with fees the final rate you get is probably comparable to exchanging to cash in UK.

We only used it in the same Walmart as Wayne everywhere else just had us sign for the transaction (and very few checked the signature against the card) :)

Many thanks for the replies. It was the Walmart on Turkey lake road where the pin was required so hopefully that's a one off. I have used it in publix and magic kingdom today with signature so no problems so far!

Thanks once again. Off to Discovery Cove today!:cool1:

Many thanks for the replies. It was the Walmart on Turkey lake road where the pin was required so hopefully that's a one off. I have used it in publix and magic kingdom today with signature so no problems so far!

Thanks once again. Off to Discovery Cove today!:cool1:

Within Disney you don't even sign under $50 (except outlets not owned by Disney) :thumbsup2

Enjoy DC.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter