• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Upsetting experience at baby care center

Hi everyone,

I just had a very upsetting experience at the baby care center at Disneyland. Two of the cast member had extremely poor attitudes and refused to let me microwave some grilled chicken for my 13m old and 3 year old. They said it was not "baby food" and that it needed to be purees/porridge/something soft. I tried to explain that babies can eat solids like a whole chicken drumstick! They then started to cite some BS reason about allergies/contamination. I could go on about how the whole situation was poorly handled. I'm so disappointed. :'(

I am unclear what would be acceptable to warm in the microwave.

Most babies foods are not even warmed, I could see the baby cereal you mix but then wouldn’t a hot water value be better? Wouldn’t people just be heating water to mix with the powder?

I thought it was unsafe to warm bottles in a microwave because of uneven heat.

Some strained baby food has meat in it, would they prevent that from being warmed due to cross contamination?

Milk is also one of the most common allergy, along with soy and wheat. Are they restricting those??

So.. yeah yeah, I agree with the OP and calling BS. Allergy/contamination can’t be the reason. Maybe they don’t want it to be “abused” by all guests, and that’s definitely valid but then say so.

Joined the boards just today to complain about this. Awesome.
I am unclear what would be acceptable to warm in the microwave.

Most babies foods are not even warmed, I could see the baby cereal you mix but then wouldn’t a hot water value be better? Wouldn’t people just be heating water to mix with the powder?

Some strained baby food has meat in it, would they prevent that from being warmed due to cross contamination?

Milk is also one of the most common allergy, along with soy and wheat. Are they restricting those??

So.. yeah yeah, I agree with the OP and calling BS. Allergy/contamination can’t be the reason. Maybe they don’t want it to be “abused” by all guests, and that’s definitely valid but then say so.
Oh yeah, I'm sure the OP would have been very gracious and understanding had they hinted she was abusing the system...

It absolutely can be allergy/cross contamination. Many baby foods are warmed, especially if they have been kept in a cooler while in the park. And most parents know how to microwave formula.

Disney specifically says the microwave is for "select use only".

If you need a microwave to heat up chicken/pizza/whatever, there is one in the California Grill in the Grand.

We often warmed baby food so they would get used to food with varying temps. And warming the baby cereal was pretty much a must since we would use breastmilk for the reconstitute. The milk would be pumped and refrigerated, so warming it was pretty necessary.

Recommended or not, I think the number of parents that microwave a bottle and then swirl/shake it is pretty high.

I saw you post this on another social media platform and the responses weren't in your favour.
Joined the boards just today to complain about this. Awesome.
That was my first thought too.

Same @Chrisfilm and @lalasmama! Joining a board to complain about CM's doing their job ... and come to find out from @sweethannah that she already posted on another platform and was told the same things on here.

:sad2:

I don't get it.

They then started to cite some BS reason about allergies/contamination. I could go on about how the whole situation was poorly handled. I'm so disappointed. :'(
Sorry to say OP, but IMHO the only one who has handled this poorly was you.

They gave you an explanation to why, and instead of accepting it and moving on, you blasted them on social media ... which really isn't going in your favor.

Time to let it go.

We often warmed baby food so they would get used to food with varying temps. And warming the baby cereal was pretty much a must since we would use breastmilk for the reconstitute. The milk would be pumped and refrigerated, so warming it was pretty necessary.

Recommended or not, I think the number of parents that microwave a bottle and then swirl/shake it is pretty high.

I mean, not to go down a rabbit hole, but I never heated either refrigerated breast milk or formula. My kids just drank it cold. We also used cold formula and breast milk to mix up the baby cereal. It's not necessary to really ever heat milk or formula. It's a preference for some babies.

I mean, not to go down a rabbit hole, but I never heated either refrigerated breast milk or formula. My kids just drank it cold. We also used cold formula and breast milk to mix up the baby cereal. It's not necessary to really ever heat milk or formula. It's a preference for some babies.
You also don't have to warm up baby food. I think warm food becomes a preference, but especially for things like veggies and fruit, it's unnecessary. I learned this when I had twin babies and a toddler, sort of as a survival skill for those times when I was completely worn out.

Hi everyone,

I just had a very upsetting experience at the baby care center at Disneyland. Two of the cast member had extremely poor attitudes and refused to let me microwave some grilled chicken for my 13m old and 3 year old. They said it was not "baby food" and that it needed to be purees/porridge/something soft. I tried to explain that babies can eat solids like a whole chicken drumstick! They then started to cite some BS reason about allergies/contamination. I could go on about how the whole situation was poorly handled. I'm so disappointed. :'(
Sounds like they were very informed and told you the right thing. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I appreciate that they tried to explain this to you and had concern for your babies. I have to applaud them on this one.

Does the OP ever respond on the other board this was posted on to defend their logic? Just curious.

Holy smokes, who knew that feeding babies chicken legs is actually encouraged?!?! I went down the rabbit hole of google images, sure that I'd be able to find something humourous but discovered that the new-fangled "baby-led weaning" suggests handing babies whole chicken legs to chomp on 🙄 You mean to tell me that I could have skipped the steps of cooking the chicken, creating mush and freezing ice-cube sized goo when my kids were starting solids?!? Mind you this was far too many years ago and I just assumed that the lack of teeth in their mouths would make eating an entire chicken leg a tad difficult :P

This thread has grown legs of it's own and is running away ...

I have had nothing but fabulous experiences at the Baby Centers. When we first brought our daughter, I had done quite a bit of research and was so excited to be able to use the Baby Centers. I was so welcomed and I could not believe my good fortune to have such a wonderful place to breastfeed in private with such amazing surroundings and music. And everytime, for the most part, I would try and position ourselves by a Baby Center when we had to change her diaper. Because they are that great and the CM's really do try and help. I remember the small taables and chairs for little ones to eat. I have to really wonder, as to why someone would want to actually serve a meal? I can see giving a snack of cheerios or apple slices. My daughter is 15 and we were just in Disney World over the weekend and I would have loved to have gone to take a peak. I have to admit, my memories of the Baby Centers are so fond, that I had to join to share my thoughts. I think we have to remember what they are intended to be used for and that is really a baby center. When having siblings along takes multi-tasking to another level, but that is what we have to do and CM's don't expect us to move in...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter