UPS tracking says MBs were delivered....I didn't get them!!

Why is UPS taking the packages to the post office? I don't understand that.

Why is UPS taking the packages to the post office? I don't understand that.
With e-mail replacing so much mail, the post office is desperate for new business. So they've been cutting deals with the delivery companies to handle the last leg. The post office has much denser daily coverage than either UPS or FedEx, which means that often they can do the last leg more cheaply. It might mean that for something like UPS Ground delivery, which is advertised as 1-5 days, it may increase the average to be closer to the 5 day mark, but that's all you're paying for anyway.

Usually it is called UPS SurePost. The UPS website should let you know if he last leg is handled by the Post Office. At the bottom it should give the USPS tracking number.

With e-mail replacing so much mail, the post office is desperate for new business. So they've been cutting deals with the delivery companies to handle the last leg. The post office has much denser daily coverage than either UPS or FedEx, which means that often they can do the last leg more cheaply. It might mean that for something like UPS Ground delivery, which is advertised as 1-5 days, it may increase the average to be closer to the 5 day mark, but that's all you're paying for anyway.

I think that story from USPS is hogwash. Yes, email and online bill payment displaced a lot of first class mail. But with the advent of the computer age also came the advent of online shopping, which I would imagine has increased their package business exponentially.

I think that story from USPS is hogwash. Yes, email and online bill payment displaced a lot of first class mail. But with the advent of the computer age also came the advent of online shopping, which I would imagine has increased their package business exponentially.
Perhaps it should have, but it didn't. One rarely sees an online vendor using USPS as their default delivery service. I don't know how much of that is because they don't guarantee their 2-day service, unlike UPS or FedEx, and how much of that is because the commercial services steeply discount their fees to large shippers.

But whatever it is, the USPS found an opportunity to get more business. It's nothing to fault them about.

Perhaps it should have, but it didn't. One rarely sees an online vendor using USPS as their default delivery service. I don't know how much of that is because they don't guarantee their 2-day service, unlike UPS or FedEx, and how much of that is because the commercial services steeply discount their fees to large shippers.

But whatever it is, the USPS found an opportunity to get more business. It's nothing to fault them about.

Almost everything I buy on Ebay comes USPS. That's business they never had before. And it's not a small amount of business.

I wonder how Disney chooses which shipper to use. My e-mail on Saturday said my magic band was shipped US Mail Parcel Post and I got it today. Not bad timing from FL to PA.

There is a contract between UPS and the USPS to share commerce (packages). DH works for ups so I know this first hand. If a package is coming UPS Surepost then it will be delivered by your postal worker. I suggest going on the ups website and creating an account. Any packages you get from anywhere that are being delivered by ups you can get text or email updates. Also, if a driver is running behind they might scan your package as delivered before they actually get to your house. Not standard practice but I've heard of it being done. As for the "left at side door" "left on porch" these are all coded already in their diad boards. They strive for accuracy but sometimes they scroll too fast. If you really are missing a package from ups, they can check the GPS of the truck to see exactly when and where the truck was when the driver scanned the package delivered. I hope this helps.

SmartPost.

It's not new at all. It was already being used often when I quit amazon.com in 2002. FedEx and DHL take part in it, too.

So what was the deal? Tell us more!

Well, I don't exactly know how this all happened but........the MBs were delivered to my daughters house, who lives in the zip code which I saw on the tracking info. This is not my zip code. This is also the zip code of our main post office, so I thought, as a PP said, that maybe they were coming from the post office.
I don't know why they were delivered to my daughters home. I am arriving in Disney on Sept 8 with my friend. My DD is arriving on Sept 10. I am staying at the GF and DD will be staying at the Poly from the 10th to the 12th. She will join my friend and me at the GF on the 12th. I am the lead name on the GF ressie, so I'm really not sure why the MBs for my friend and I were sent to DD house. DD has received her own MB, in a different shipment than mine. As a matter of fact my daughter told me she has now received 3 MBs for this one vacation. We assume one MB is related to her ressie at the Poly. We think they sent a second MB for when she comes over to the GF (yes, we know she doesn't need it, but think that for some reason Disney sent it anyway) and as far as the third MB, well we can't figure out why she got that one.
It seems as if Disney could save themselves some money by not shipping out so many MBs, but I guess that's for another thread.
Anyway, I got them and I'm so relieved.

Thanks again to all who posted and helped me stay calm.:rolleyes1

Karen

I wonder how Disney chooses which shipper to use. My e-mail on Saturday said my magic band was shipped US Mail Parcel Post and I got it today. Not bad timing from FL to PA.

Even though the return address on the package is a FL address, the package actually ships from Memphis, TN (as shown on the online tracking information). I also experienced that same quick shipping to PA -- left TN on a Saturday and I had them Monday. I think it's ironic that they ship in a plain brown box but that box contains so much excitement!!!

I was going to say my mb are currently hanging out in tn I got the email they were being shipped parcel post Sunday and they didnt even get picked up for delivery until last night. I'm so anxious! Glad your issue got sorted out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter