Upgrading to Gold AP

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
Hedging my bets a little here, and wondering what others think. I have 8 day park hopper ticket for my trip in December (not during block out dates). I was hoping to upgrade to the Gold AP when I arrive as I have another trip planned for May 2019.

With this new ticket pricing going into effect October 16.
1. Do you think they will make such extreme changes to the annual passes?
2. Do you think the Gold AP will still be available after that?
3. Can I upgrade to Gold AP before Oct 16 by calling member services?
4. Would I have to do it through Disney direct?

My MDE account won't accept me as a DVC member, and so won't give me the opportunity to purchase the DVC discounted pass. This is because there is an old account floating around out there with my current email address on it. I had issues when I was travelling with family members a few years ago and just opened a new account for the ability to plan for them. I'm not a computer sort so I'll admit I didn't think this all the way through :o.

I did purchase the 8 day ph directly from Disney, by the way.

Call Disney and exchange the ticket for an AP. There’s no benefit in waiting.

You probably not pay for much more to upgrade it. I had 5 day hopper and it cost us $120 more for DVC Gold AP. I was not going to get it but I wanted memory maker which was $170 discounted and it was cheaper to just upgrade on of our tickets to Gold AP.

Hedging my bets a little here, and wondering what others think. I have 8 day park hopper ticket for my trip in December (not during block out dates). I was hoping to upgrade to the Gold AP when I arrive as I have another trip planned for May 2019.

With this new ticket pricing going into effect October 16.
1. Do you think they will make such extreme changes to the annual passes?
2. Do you think the Gold AP will still be available after that?
3. Can I upgrade to Gold AP before Oct 16 by calling member services?
4. Would I have to do it through Disney direct?

My MDE account won't accept me as a DVC member, and so won't give me the opportunity to purchase the DVC discounted pass. This is because there is an old account floating around out there with my current email address on it. I had issues when I was travelling with family members a few years ago and just opened a new account for the ability to plan for them. I'm not a computer sort so I'll admit I didn't think this all the way through :o.

I did purchase the 8 day ph directly from Disney, by the way.
I'm also mulling over upgrading a few passes to AP vouchers and I'm concerned that the blackout dates for gold APs will cover more and more dates in the future. I hate the idea of paying for platinum, but I don't want to have to plan around new blackout dates.

I think that I will upgrade to the gold when I'm there next week and then, if I encounter blackout dates in the future, I can always upgrade the gold AP to platinum (or whatever AP Disney has available at the time).

I’ve been giving this alot of thought and I’m wondering if Disney plans to jack the price of the platinum and gold AP price significantly and then make DVC members eligible to buy that select AP they introduced over the summer. That way they can say they still offer a significantly discounted AP to members and encourage budget savvy travelers to travel at less busy times or attend less busy parks. While it is entirely possible the gold AP could be totally restructured my thought is that it isn’t necessary when they have already created a pass with moving blockout dates.

OP: I would upgrade before Oct 16. (I am likely going to buy an AP for our younger daughter for our april 2019 trip, this week.) Also - I had a similar MDE account issue a few years back. I think I also had 2 MDE accounts tied to my name. I called MS and spent some time on the phone with them, but they were able to work it out. You might want to consider doing that so your DVC and MDE can work together.

Rather than start a new thread - I have related Qs about APs...

DD2 turns 3 after our Thanksgiving trip. The rest of us have APs that are good through 9/1/19 (or thereabouts). We bought them last year when Disney had the "PAP+ for price of Gold" deal.

In 2019 we are planning family trips for Easter week AND Xmas week. I am now thinking that I should get DD2 an AP (Platinum, I suppose) that will then run from April 2019 - March 2020, while the rest of us get APs in the fall of 2019 to cover Xmas 2019 and a longer summer trip in 2020. I guess that puts DD2 off-cycle with APs for the time being - how much of a hassle is it, for families who have done that? Seems like just an extra trip to Guest Services to activate passes, instead of doing it all at once for the whole family?

OP: I would upgrade before Oct 16. (I am likely going to buy an AP for our younger daughter for our april 2019 trip, this week.) Also - I had a similar MDE account issue a few years back. I think I also had 2 MDE accounts tied to my name. I called MS and spent some time on the phone with them, but they were able to work it out. You might want to consider doing that so your DVC and MDE can work together.

Rather than start a new thread - I have related Qs about APs...

DD2 turns 3 after our Thanksgiving trip. The rest of us have APs that are good through 9/1/19 (or thereabouts). We bought them last year when Disney had the "PAP+ for price of Gold" deal.

In 2019 we are planning family trips for Easter week AND Xmas week. I am now thinking that I should get DD2 an AP (Platinum, I suppose) that will then run from April 2019 - March 2020, while the rest of us get APs in the fall of 2019 to cover Xmas 2019 and a longer summer trip in 2020. I guess that puts DD2 off-cycle with APs for the time being - how much of a hassle is it, for families who have done that? Seems like just an extra trip to Guest Services to activate passes, instead of doing it all at once for the whole family?
How long is the vacation at Easter? It might be worth it to buy your toddler a regular ticket for that trip and then purchase an AP for her in the fall of 2019 with everyone else.

How long is the vacation at Easter? It might be worth it to buy your toddler a regular ticket for that trip and then purchase an AP for her in the fall of 2019 with everyone else.

That's a 10-day trip, so it makes sense to include that in the AP, I think. A discounted PH ticket would run around $500 for that length, I think, so for a little over $200 more, we'd get Christmas included for her.

That's a 10-day trip, so it makes sense to include that in the AP, I think. A discounted PH ticket would run around $500 for that length, I think, so for a little over $200 more, we'd get Christmas included for her.
You're right. It does make sense to get her an AP at Easter. If it had been a shorter trip, the numbers could have come out differently.

You're right. It does make sense to get her an AP at Easter. If it had been a shorter trip, the numbers could have come out differently.
Right - I think we are willing to put up with being off cycle to get Easter and Xmas on one AP, and assess in 2020 whether we go to the Gold AP for all of us, and whether we get on cycle at some point.

What select AP did they introduce over the summer?

The Florida Resident Theme Park Select Pass — priced at $439 – is another option for Florida Residents who are looking for access to at least one theme park during most times of the year. Each park’s availability is accessible online through a 13-month blockout calendar, so guests will still be able to plan their visits ahead of time. The following days and parks are set blockout dates:

The Florida Resident Theme Park Select Pass includes at least 325 days of access at select theme parks and at least 175 days of access to all four theme parks throughout the year.

who do you call to upgrade your park hopper to a DVC Gold Pass? Is there a number around?

Also when does the 365 days start? is it at 1st use or when you upgrade?

First use. If you upgrade a ticket after you start using it, the expiration is based on the day the original ticket was first used. It’s should be 366 days, though; it expires on the same day next year.

I'm also mulling over upgrading a few passes to AP vouchers and I'm concerned that the blackout dates for gold APs will cover more and more dates in the future. I hate the idea of paying for platinum, but I don't want to have to plan around new blackout dates.

I think that I will upgrade to the gold when I'm there next week and then, if I encounter blackout dates in the future, I can always upgrade the gold AP to platinum (or whatever AP Disney has available at the time).

Can you call DVC to upgrade the tickets you have on the side to AP vouchers?

I bought many tickets from UCT in 2015/2016 to manage the risk of rising ticket prices... will I still get credit for current pricing when I upgrade?

Can you call DVC to upgrade the tickets you have on the side to AP vouchers?

I bought many tickets from UCT in 2015/2016 to manage the risk of rising ticket prices... will I still get credit for current pricing when I upgrade?
Tickets purchased thru a 3rd party cannot be upgraded via phone. If they were purchased from Disney, I believe that it is possible. And I don't believe that Member Services can do upgrades at all. I'll be in Disney next week, so I'm covered. I'm redeeming an AP voucher in Disney Springs when I arrive, so I will just upgrade a few passes at the same time.

Tickets purchased thru a 3rd party cannot be upgraded via phone. If they were purchased from Disney, I believe that it is possible. And I don't believe that Member Services can do upgrades at all. I'll be in Disney next week, so I'm covered. I'm redeeming an AP voucher in Disney Springs when I arrive, so I will just upgrade a few passes at the same time.
Thx!!

Sorry another tangent to OP (hopefully you decided what to do).

My situation: we have platinum AP's that we can't renew until October 17 (60 days before expiration of 12/17/18). I bought the small direct DVC this year primarily for the benefits since we are non residents who have had AP's and will keep having AP's.

Can you upgrade (downgrade?) a platinum AP to a DVC gold with just calling and not being at WDW in person?

What do you all think? Should I just buy DVC gold certificates now and not even worry about trying to renew? Current passes expire December and we go again mid January so I definitely know we will be getting them again. The price difference between the options is $95 a ticket. If it was just a couple tickets I would probably just buy the DVC gold vouchers now. But for 5 that is almost $500 I don't want to throw away if there is no need.

How does it work with the DVC gold vouchers? Do they have the same 2030 expiration date?

Thanks!

Can you upgrade (downgrade?) a platinum AP to a DVC gold with just calling and not being at WDW in person?
You can renew an AP to any level of AP at the renewal rate. You will need to call to do it, or do it in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter