• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Upgrading to AP, Do I Need to Use My Ticket First

Woodmnky

DIS Veteran
I didn't see anything about this in the Ticket FAQ. Several years ago, it was stressed that you had to use your ticket for park entry prior to upgrading to an AP if you wanted to do a price bridge for the cost. Is this still necessary? I am considering doing the upgrades at Disney Springs the evening before our first visit.

I didn't see anything about this in the Ticket FAQ. Several years ago, it was stressed that you had to use your ticket for park entry prior to upgrading to an AP if you wanted to do a price bridge for the cost.
1. Is this still necessary?
2. I am considering doing the upgrades at Disney Springs the evening before our first visit.

1. Nope.
2. That'll be fine.
Have fun!

To piggy-back on this, do all the parties upgrading need to be present? DH and I are thinking of upgrading ours, but not our kids'. Could one of us go to guest relations without the other to get it done?

I learned from Robo that your AP starts on the day you upgrade whether you go to a park that day or not.

To piggy-back on this, do all the parties upgrading need to be present? DH and I are thinking of upgrading ours, but not our kids'. Could one of us go to guest relations without the other to get it done?

Each guest who is 18 yrs or older needs to be present (with a legal photo ID) in order to active his or her AP.

I learned from Robo that your AP starts on the day you upgrade whether you go to a park that day or not.

Your AP starts when it’s activated.

While both statements above CAN be correct, they are not necessarily correct, without further examination.

An AP that is created by "upgrading" from a regular MagicYourWay ticket can be "activated" at the time of upgrade if the original ticket has not been used on a prior day.

If the original ticket WAS previously used, that new "upgraded AP" will be back-dated to the first day the original ticket was used.

It is also possible to upgrade a new, unused MYW ticket to a new AP "certificate" and
the guest can then HOLD that certificate until a future date at which time the certificate
can be traded in for a new "activated AP."

(Whew!)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter